I went in to the Sprint store earlier today to really play with the EVO. I was very impressed with the web browsing and all of the cool things that the phone could do. I was on the fence as to what I should do, being that I am within my 30 days to make a switch. While I was there two people came in to buy the EVO, a husband and wife, and two people came in to return the evo. While in the store, the people returning the phone convinced the people looking to buy it, out of buying it, and all four ended up leaving with the Bold. They said that the phone was cool, exploding with amazing features, but that the battery truly was the most awful thing they have ever experienced. They also said that the actual phone call quality was awful as well, and that is was the same on both phones. They said it sounded like you were inside of a coffee can. The people who worked at the store all pretty much agreed. They said, and I quote, that "If you can afford to buy an EVO, an extra battery, a charger to charge the extra battery when you are using the other one in the actual phone, and a separate phone to make actual phone calls on, then the EVO is the phone for you." LOL. I am not a bashing the EVO, I am not saying BB is the greatest, I am simply sharing a story. I found it very interesting though, that the employees, who I am sure were told to push the EVO, were pretty much steering people in the other direction.

After I played with the EVO a bit I started looking at accessories, and saw that they had the Otterbox Defender case. I have read so much about it on here, that I figured I would check it out. It was a 50 dollar price tag, so I was going to pass, but it was customer appreciation weekend, and I am a Sprint Premiere customer, so I got 25% off and another 20% off on top of that, so I couldn't pass it up. I have to say, I don't mind the added bulk, and the phone is completely protected now. It was a good day. I am glad to have my curiosity about the EVO no longer blocking my enjoyment of the Bold, and very excited about this Otterbox case.

Again, not slamming the EVO, I am more than certain the phone is going to make many people very happy. Just was not for me. Maybe in a year when 4G is actually in my area, and they do something about the phone call quality and battery, I might be more willing to switch it up.

The guy also showed me some paperwork that showed a Sprint road map. 4th quarter Sprint will be getting the 9300 and the 9800, both shipping with OS 6 and web kit. He said those things are never 100% set in store (as we all know) but to expect them either just in time for Christmas.
    06-06-10 06:15 PM
    Sorry about such a long rant, LOL.
    06-06-10 06:16 PM
    yeah, I keep hearing the same thing about the EVO about how bad the call quality is... lots of bad reviews about that. Ofcourse the battery sucks on Android phones though, they all do.

however, the Bold is an amazing device though, you will love it!
    06-06-10 06:25 PM
    well thanks for that bit of info. i'm in my 30 day window too and while i dont want to switch my phone (not into touch screens) that hasnt stopped my curiosity of the EVO...i just wanted to hear peoples thoughts and reviews on it. thanks!!
    06-06-10 07:14 PM
    I think with the EVO and the Incredible, so much went in to the phone, and all of what did go in are really cool and game changing, that the actual phone part was overlooked a bit.
    06-06-10 07:45 PM
    Call quality on the HTC Evo 4G is above average and not bad at all. As much as I love me a BlackBerry for it's messaging abilities, it's certainly lacking cutting edge and revolutionary technology. The HTC Evo 4G can do anything a BlackBerry can do and even offers so much more.
    06-06-10 08:22 PM
    I think its pretty funny that everyone has these assumptions about this phone based on 2 people that walked in the Sprint store and a bunch of kids/slackers working in the store that were lucky to get out of high school. I've had the phone since the 4th and it is fantastic. I was a long time Blackberry user and quite honestly, the Blackberry doesn't compare. Any Blackberry. The phone works great. I have had no reception or clarity issues. I live in Memphis and we are 3G currently. This is the best overall phone that I have ever seen. The battery life isn't great but it isn't bad either, considering everything the phone does. The store employees were heavily exagerating about having a 2nd battery and phone. That is absurd. The phone is great and I highly recommend it to anyone that really wants the best technology available.
    06-07-10 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD