I just got an email saying it was, and I have gone to the website (We've Got Technology Covered // OtterBox.com) and confirmed, and have ordered mine! It's 49.95, with fedex ground ($4.75), fedex 3 day ($8.95), fedex 2 day ($11.33), and fedex overnight ($17.75).

The price is a little steep but WELL worth the protection!
    12-29-09 11:21 AM
    Also, sorry for double post, but with the promo/coupon code: TechBargains109n I got 20% off, and so the case, and fedex 3 day shipping the total came to $48.91!
    12-29-09 11:28 AM
    Not worth the money.
    12-29-09 11:36 AM
    I work for at&t and recently spoke with the otterbox rep for our stores and am currently using the Commuter series for my 9700. It is so worth the money to keep it protected and will be picking one up.
    12-29-09 11:39 AM
    I currently have the commuter, and I absolutely love it. I'm rough on phones at school and work, and so the defender is well worth the money for a 200 dollar phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 11:55 AM
    I just ordered mine! I am currently using the commuter case and it is amazing! I can't wait for the defender case for that extra protection I need.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 11:55 AM
    I'm sure it protects the phone very well but it's **** ugly.
    12-29-09 12:01 PM
    I couldn't disagree with Verticall more. I have been eagerly awaiting the release of this case since I got my new 9700 three days after launch in November.

I had the Defender case for my previous BlackBerry and it was AMAZING. That was my first smartphone and being someone who has a habit of dropping things and being generally rough on everyday equipment like a phone I immediately began searching for a really, really good case that would not only provide impact protection but also a guard against moisture for the keyboard AND the screen. The Defender case was the only one I found that offered everything I needed. The price made me hesitate for about a week, but I figured I'd go ahead and give it a try.

I searched several BlackBerry forums and found a site where I purchased the case at a discount and from the moment I put that case on the phone until the moment I retired the phone I never had a moment's worry about my old Berry. I've splashed it, dropped it hundreds of times, sat on it, slept on it, dropped it down the side of a mountain while hiking in the high Sierras, you name it - the case kept the phone protected and it still looks brand new, which is unprecedented for someone like me.

Now it's finally released for the 9700 and I'm ordering it today, as soon as I finish this post. I've already dropped my new phone a couple times - it's got a small ding in a bottom corner - splashed it (luckily with no ill effect) and slept on it a few times and I'm afraid to take the freaking thing outside anymore for fear of destroying it.

If you want the best possible protection for your phone, get this case. It's incredible. Well worth the money, it looks really great (I dont get people who say it's ugly), it's durable, it's reliable, and if you're hard on your phone, it's a must-have. The only way it could be better is if it were offered in a variety of colours. Only the cursed iPhone gets that distinction for some reason. The black case is very stylish and cool, but I'd love to get one in a bright, fun colour. I guess the "business phone" reputation precludes Otterbox from thinking that anyone would want any other colour but black (or that hideous yellow/black combo) for their Berry, but since the iPhone is a toy, they figure that iZombies will be more prone to buying other colours. Bummer. BlackBerry has become so much more than just a business tool.

This place has the Defender for the BlackBerry 9700 for only $34.99 and free shipping with "preorder," and the case is not yet listed as available so preorder still stands as of this post, but probably not for long:

OtterBox BlackBerry 9700 Defender Case (Black) at MobileCityOnline.com

This site has great prices for Otterbox cases, and already has the Commuter and Impact cases for the 9700 listed at really good discounts:

iMarine - Search

It'll probably also be on Amazon fairly soon, too.

And now, I'm off to order my beloved Defender! =D (Otterbox needs to pay me a commission for evangelizing this case!)

Happy New Year, everyone!

EDIT: Thanks for the techbargains109n code! I just used it on the Otterbox site to get the case and 3-day shipping for $49. =) Sweet!
    Last edited by Perilous; 12-29-09 at 12:15 PM.
    12-29-09 12:06 PM
    I will be ordering one in a week or so
    12-29-09 12:26 PM
    I'm sure it protects the phone very well but it's **** ugly.
    +1 to that! Just my personal opinion here, but I think all of the OtterBox cases are unsightly and this one is the WORST.
    12-29-09 12:27 PM
    I'm keeping an open mind here.

It really isn't the most appealing case available out there for the BlackBerry Bold 9700. First, the bulk alone will be probably be the number one reason for others to stay away from it. Second, the styling is really not the one that will inspire someone to show it off during those coat-and-tie occasions.

But it is built not for aesthetics. It is built for one purpose alone: to give the ultimate protection possible to the device it is made for. And I don't think anybody here can argue the fact that it is simply the best case of choice, if you are looking for the that kind of protection.

I already have the Commuter case for daily use.
    And I'm ordering this one for extreme use.

Let it be the ugliest and bulkiest case.
    So long as it will keep my BlackBerry Bold 9700 still the newest-looking one even after a year or so...
    12-29-09 03:22 PM
    I just got my Commuter in and am seeing how I do with it. If it doesn't protect as I need I might try the Defender.

On another note, why are there always the few people who have to come in on these threads and comment on how ugly these cases are? I mean this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion but I mean, c'mon! I am a bit clumsy and I work as a technician so I need protection for a great piece of cellular hardware. Aesthetics isn't on my top priority. Everyone has their needs and if you think someone needs to be told if everyone thinks a case/accessory is pretty or ugly I'm sure they will post a thread asking that very question. Here, like many others, someone is writing a positive note on a product which they deem is useful for them and others that are like-minded. Ugh, just a pet peeve of mine.
    12-29-09 05:50 PM
    I just got my Commuter in and am seeing how I do with it. If it doesn't protect as I need I might try the Defender.

On another note, why are there always the few people who have to come in on these threads and comment on how ugly these cases are? I mean this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion but I mean, c'mon! I am a bit clumsy and I work as a technician so I need protection for a great piece of cellular hardware. Aesthetics isn't on my top priority. Everyone has their needs and if you think someone needs to be told if everyone thinks a case/accessory is pretty or ugly I'm sure they will post a thread asking that very question. Here, like many others, someone is writing a positive note on a product which they deem is useful for them and others that are like-minded. Ugh, just a pet peeve of mine.
    I fully agree with you on why some people are commenting negatively to a product. They will say that this case is ugly or bulky or not worth the money. But remember, most, if not all of them really don't need this case, so they really don't appreciate the excellent protection this case will bring as opposed to those who are truly cognizant of their "need" (not want) for their phone.

As you have stated, this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion. So they might be doing "just that", giving their own opinion without any intention to poke fun at or criticize those who are really considering buying this case (but more probably on the case, itself!).

As for me, I have a normal working environment (office), unlike you who, as a technician, might be working in an environment that requires the kind of protection that ONLY the Otterbox Defender Case can deliver. But I also have that need since like you, I'm also a bit clumsy. Plus, I travel a lot every Friday (500+ Kms. back & forth).

That said, keep your focus on that need and don't let anybody's opinion talk you out of it. "You" alone fully knows your requirement to keep your 9700 well protected. And who knows, maybe (just maybe), after a year or so, we will invite those who gave their negative comments about this case to wager which BlackBerry Bold 9700 are still spotless after all those time: ours or theirs? (I'm pretty much confident about the outcome of that) So, what do you think?
    12-30-09 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD