I've had the Otterbox Defender case for my Storm 2 for about 2 months now. The main problems I've had with it involve the holster not gripping the phone enough, so that each time the holster was slightly bumped the phone would fall out with the case and hit the ground.

Yesterday this happened in my office, the encased Storm 2 hit the floor. The top piece of the plastic clamshell case broke at the bottom and the right side, rendering the Otterbox case dead.

It has protected my phone from many drops due to the holster failure - but finally died yesterday. I wish the holster had a better gripping device.

Now I'm looking for a better case so if anyone has suggestions please chime in.
    04-09-10 02:49 AM
    Just contact OtterBox and tell them the problem. There's a 99% chance they'll ship you out a new defender for free. Their customer service is tip notch and you won't find better protection for your phone, unless you encase it in a lead capsule.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-10 03:47 AM
    hmm...i dropped my BB plenty of time and it never broke. I even had to cut audio jack part of the pastic cause most of my jack wont fit. its pretty hard plastic and I even threw it once as high as i can to see if would break without the phone in it and it didnt break. (i had 3 replacement from them already). I do agree about the holster and thats why i lost my first S2 at the club. I no longer use the holster do to poor design but im happy with the case.
    04-09-10 06:35 AM
    It has been my experiance with the Defender, that unless you hear/feel the distinct "click", the device is not secured. There have been many times where I have thought that I holstered it correctly to have it fall out. Once I hear the click it never falls out. Sometimes I get in a hurry forget it about it. Last week I was leaving work and it fell out on to the parking lot. I got about a mile from work when I realized that I didn't have it. Of course I freaked, but it was all good. I found it laying on the concrete.
    04-09-10 08:19 AM
    I think my BB did hit the floor over 30 times already because of the faulty defender case. I finally removed the belt-clip and slide it in my pocket. It didn't fell anymore after that.

Now I ordered a much too expensive custom leather case without a belt-clip to carry my BB around in my pocket all the time.

Yes, the defender housing do protect your BB very well I must say, but the holster / clip-case is really crap.

If the "Storm3" comes out, I will again buy my BB an Otterbox.
    04-09-10 09:21 AM
    I've had this same issue, though I still love my Defender. You have to be really careful to make sure that no part of your shirt get caught when you snap it in, and I usually give it a little push to make sure it's in there good. The Defender clip for the S1 held it better. Maybe the next generation will be improved.
    04-09-10 10:52 AM
    In Otterbox'x defense - I emailed their customer service early this morning and got a rapid reply. They shipped a new Defender case UPS Ground and supplied a tracking number.

I will use the case again, just not the holster, that is the failed part and the too thin plastic top of the clamshell case (where it finally cracked in 2 spots from the impact).

I'd like to see Otterbox redesign the holster to make the lip extend up farther up the case to prevent the "slip-outs" which occur so easily once bumped.

Thanks for all the repliles in this thread, I agree with everything posted and said (shirts getting caught, making sure the click sounds when holstering, etc.). I love the protection just hate the holster.

Kudo's to Otterbox for excellent customer service though, it would make me purchase from them again knowing they support their products this way.
    04-09-10 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD