My wife bought a Otterbox Defender for her 8900 and ever since I put it on her phone see seems to be getting an echo on the other end of the phone call? I figured is was due to the fact its a seriously beefy case and the sound is "reverbing" through the casing and the phone is picking it up and transmitting it again. So I put a piece of a paper towel between the back of the phone and the plastic case but it seemed not to help. Anyone out there find a solution. Or can post a link to a good source of information being I'll be away from my computer for a while.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 10:27 AM
    I really dont know how that could be.
    I have an otterbox defender on my curve and dont get that symptom.
    However the otterbox can be quite a pain if you have to do a battery pull.
    I downloaded "Quickpull" from app world and now i can do that from the screen.
    Only had to one time but it saved me from having to disasemble the intire otterbox.
    01-18-10 11:03 AM
    Yeah I agree with Yardsetter , I have a defender case on my 8330 and have not had an issue like you mentioned either.I have used all of the parts of the case the screen protector,hard case ,and rubber trim.

I used to use "quickpull" but the ads get on my nerves ,lol , I just alt key,right shift key,delete key now , when I feel its needed which really isnt to often.
    Last edited by DavidNC; 01-18-10 at 11:58 AM.
    01-18-10 11:56 AM
    I just alt key,right shift key,delete key now , when I feel its needed which really isnt to often.[/QUOTE]

does that do the same thing as a battery pull?
    pretty cool.. never heard of that before.
    01-18-10 01:04 PM
    does that do the same thing as a battery pull?
    pretty cool.. never heard of that before.
    Yes, I think the "quickpull app" is just a quick step(one button to push) to do that very thing And of course you can scheldule battery pulls and stuff with "quickpull" but as I mentioned they are few and far between for me so that is an unneeded process in my normal routine in my BB life .
    Last edited by DavidNC; 01-19-10 at 04:40 AM.
    01-19-10 04:35 AM
    I tried one on the 9000 and it would do the same thing along with feedback when on speaker. The response from Otterbox was "it's a problem, we don't have a fix."
    01-19-10 07:45 AM
    I have a defender for my 9000 with the same issues. I love the ruggedness of the case but can't have the echo. I think I'm gonna try the commuter series out.
    01-19-10 10:50 AM
    I have a BlackBerry Curve 8900 Series Defender Case and a serious echo on the side of anyone calling me (but sounds fine on my side). I have sent back two phones because of this but after checking out one of the forums today and a quick experiment it turns out the case, was the cause.

I actually just talked to OtterBox and they are sending me a replacement, and they were super cool about it.

I am happy with the case and don't want to be with out it, but I am not sure a different case of the same design is going to solve anything.

A number of the Blackberry forums have suggested removing the speaker/earpiece cover and also drilling out the mic. hole larger.

I havn't tried either yet, but if anyone does can they tell me if these have resolved anything?
    01-19-10 02:14 PM
    Try turning down the headset volume and see if that helps.
    01-19-10 02:54 PM
    I've done both with no help. I removed the plastic membrane and that has helped.

01-20-10 02:09 PM
    I put got my defender case for 9700 today, exact same issue. NOT happy at all considering this was $50+ with shipping. I do like how much protection it provides but man this sucks. I purchased my gf a CM hybrid its pretty sweet for $30, im returning it for that one.
    01-20-10 08:04 PM
    I have an 8900 with a Commuter and experienced the echo issues as well. It is an OS issue and it seemed to go away once I upgrade to the 5.0 OS. For me it only occured when someone called me and not when I called them. Another quick solution is to try turning on speakerphone and then turn it back off. That seemed to make the echo go away.
    02-10-10 04:28 PM
    you will get a fix, it was a issue with the 8350i also at one time
    02-10-10 05:06 PM
    I was actually planning on getting a Defender for my 9700, but now I'm not sure. I love everything else I've heard about it, but this seems like a pretty big deal. I may just go with a Commuter. I wonder what percentage of cases have this issue.

02-11-10 04:13 PM
    I wonder what percentage of cases have this issue
    Commuters and Defenders both have it. It is not phone/case related it is OS related. I had an echo issue using a Incepio case on my 8900 as well just not as bad because the case does not cover as much of the phone.
    02-11-10 04:26 PM
    Commuters and Defenders both have it. It is not phone/case related it is OS related. I had an echo issue using a Incepio case on my 8900 as well just not as bad because the case does not cover as much of the phone.
    That's interesting. Well I guess I'll go for it and just hope for the best. With new versions of 5.0 leaking all the time hopefully I won't have this issue.

02-11-10 04:51 PM
    I have an Otterbox with my 8900 Curve. Contacts calling me all complain of echo - when I remove the case and I call them (or they call me) the echo has gone! Must be the case!
    02-25-10 12:15 PM
    :Guys,

My friend had the same problem when using this same case with his Pearl. If you remove or at least pull the rubber piece out that covers the charger port you will loose the echo. I know this sounds a little stupid but trust me it works!
    02-26-10 08:52 PM
    is there anyone with an otterbox defender on their bold 9700?
    i have an otterbox defender on my bold 9700. please pm me your number and i'll call you for a 'test call'.

Since we are both using otterboxes, the echo should be like mad. if not, then maybe there some 'otterbox haters' around these forums?
    03-07-10 08:41 AM
    I have a Defender on my 9700 and my wife is the only one to complain about an echo. The case is a must have for me or I would destroy the phone at work (mechanic) so I just tell her it must be on her end.
    03-08-10 01:11 AM
    I loved the OtterBox Defender Case on my 8900 until I figured out the echo was coming from the case. When I removed the case I not only got rid of the echo but my gps also started working better. It now locks onto satellites almost immediately unlike when I had the case on.

Did anyone else have trouble with their gps and the OtterBox Defender Case ?
    04-26-10 03:14 AM
    It must be the case-when I remove it,no echo!!!
    05-04-10 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD