I have the Otterbox Defender Case for my Storm 2. I have been having some problems with the bottom row of keys working consistantly ever since I started using this case. Today I had some time to fiddle with it so I took the case off and did a battery pull and then put the phone back in the case. My observation was that when the phone is out of the case the bottom row keys work EVERY time. When the phone is in the case the bottom row keys are inconsistant. I even put the phone in just the back half of the plastic shell with the same results so I feel that this has nothing to do with the fit of the phone in the case.

This led me to experiment a little further and this is what I found. If my hand is in direct contact with the outside surface of the phone the keys work fine. If I hold the phone in my hand but have a cloth between my hand and the phone the keys are inconsistant. Having direct contact to the surface of the phone DOES make a difference!!

It seems to me that there was a post on this forum before about this same issue but I cannot find it to see if there was any resolution for this problem.

My brother-in-law has an otterbox case for a different cell phone and I noticed that his case has a large diameter hole in the back of it so that when you hold the phone in your hand your hand comes in contact with the battery cover of the case.

I am thinking that I will just machine a hole through the plastice shell on my defender case and then cut a matching hole through the rubber outer liner. Before I do that though I would like to hear if someone else has experience with this issue or has a better solution.

Please let me know what you think.
    01-26-10 03:18 PM
    Before you ruin your case...

I too have the OtterBox Defender on my S2 and also had some bottom button problems. Upgrading to .428 helped, but at least once or twice a day, I'd go to answer my phone and the send/answer button would not respond at all. Being a S1 owner as well, I decided to try the torx screw fix that was so popular on that phone. Under your battery cover, are two torx head screws about in the middle of the phone, on each of the long sides. One of them has a small white sticker with a centered red dot on it. Use a safety pin to lift an edge of the sticker and loosen the torx screws about a half revolution. I actually only loosened the one on the side of the send button, because that's the only side that gave me trouble. If all the bottom buttons stick on yours, then loosen both screws. You can't hurt anything doing this. I did mine 3 or 4 weeks ago and they have worked perfectly ever since work. Not a single failure. The whole thing takes about 60 seconds to do.
    Last edited by grey; 01-26-10 at 03:34 PM.
    01-26-10 03:30 PM
    Grey,

Thanks for the advice.

I located the two torx head screws. The one on the side with the SD Memory Card has the white sticker over it but there is no red dot on mine. When I get home this weekend I will certainly try this suggestion. I have nothing to loose by trying it and everything to gain.

I still don't understand why the keys work when the phone is held in your hand without being a case.

Before you ruin your case...

I too have the OtterBox Defender on my S2 and also had some bottom button problems. Upgrading to .428 helped, but at least once or twice a day, I'd go to answer my phone and the send/answer button would not respond at all. Being a S1 owner as well, I decided to try the torx screw fix that was so popular on that phone. Under your battery cover, are two torx head screws about in the middle of the phone, on each of the long sides. One of them has a small white sticker with a centered red dot on it. Use a safety pin to lift an edge of the sticker and loosen the torx screws about a half revolution. I actually only loosened the one on the side of the send button, because that's the only side that gave me trouble. If all the bottom buttons stick on yours, then loosen both screws. You can't hurt anything doing this. I did mine 3 or 4 weeks ago and they have worked perfectly ever since work. Not a single failure. The whole thing takes about 60 seconds to do.
    01-26-10 04:55 PM
    I think the margin of error/tolerances are pretty tight, and if those screws get a quarter to half turn too much, the phone gets real finicky about when it will work correctly.

Be sure to let us know how it works for you.
    01-26-10 05:17 PM
    The screen is glass-capacitive, meaning it must detect an electric current from your finger (or nose, if it's cold and one has gloves on). I also have the defender case and the button lock issue - when the buttons go non-responsive I simply give a slight squeeze in the outer edges of the case and it's taken care of for a while. At some point when I can find a working link to .428, I'll give that a try. Cuz at some point the button lock is going to get frustrating plus I would like to try it out and see if it's as good as most people seem to claim lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-10 05:28 PM
    The screen is glass-capacitive, meaning it must detect an electric current from your finger (or nose, if it's cold and one has gloves on). I also have the defender case and the button lock issue - when the buttons go non-responsive I simply give a slight squeeze in the outer edges of the case and it's taken care of for a while. At some point when I can find a working link to .428, I'll give that a try. Cuz at some point the button lock is going to get frustrating plus I would like to try it out and see if it's as good as most people seem to claim lol

.428 is a great OS.

I don't doubt your knowledge of the technical aspects of this screen, but I can tell you as a matter of absolute fact, from personal experience, glass-capacitive, electric current blah biddy blah blah, or not, loosening my torx screws has 100% fixed, under all conditions, my bottom buttons for a month straight now. You should try it.
    01-26-10 05:55 PM
    I'm hemming and hawing on doing either until after the 9th, that's my 30-day mark >.<

01-26-10 06:02 PM
    I was having the same problem with my Otterbox Defender but once I installed the .428/.442/.451 systems that went way.

I was so frustrated with the bottom keys that I went back to my old thin silicone case and contemplated selling the defender case. With the OS upgrades, I'm keeping it.
    01-28-10 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD