Hello all.

This is my first thread so I hope I am making a good contribution.

I recently purchased the OtterBox Defender Case. I should first point out how pleased I am with the case. But I noticed that ever since starting to use it I have not been able to hold down the alt key while i press numbers, I would have to press alt then the number and repeat until i have entered the number or characters i needed i.e. (alt 9 alt 7 alt 6 alt 3) instead of (alt 9763), I removed the case and the problem vanished. I did all kinds of troubleshooting and found that the button on the right hand side of the 8900 is the culprit. The OtterBox rubber seems to apply just enough pressure to interact with some of the other functions of the device but not enough to activate the camera.

The fix. I took a razor blade and shaved just enough to stop the interaction with the button. Seems to be working for now.

I have called OtterBox and left a message explaining my issue. I will post my results when I hear back from them.

And please ANYONE else using this case please see if you are experiencing the same issue

*EDIT* I received a call back from OtterBox. And I sear this has got to be one of the best companies I have ever called to discuss a issue with. They were very understanding and happy to help. The lady I spoke to was very concerned and is forwarding all the info to correct team in charge of production. Any company can make a product its how you present yourself to the mass market that makes a business succeed and OtterBox has done this.
    Last edited by kd8dns; 07-15-09 at 12:29 PM.
    07-14-09 08:27 PM
    Hello all.

This is my first thread so I hope I am making a good contribution.

I recently purchased the OtterBox Defender Case. I should first point out how pleased I am with the case. But I noticed that ever since starting to use it I have not been able to hold down the alt key while i press numbers, I would have to press alt then the number and repeat until i have entered the number or characters i needed i.e. (alt 9 alt 7 alt 6 alt 3) instead of (alt 9763), I removed the case and the problem vanished. I did all kinds of troubleshooting and found that the button on the right hand side of the 8900 is the culprit. The OtterBox rubber seems to apply just enough pressure to interact with some of the other functions of the device but not enough to activate the camera.

The fix. I took a razor blade and shaved just enough to stop the interaction with the button. Seems to be working for now.

I have called OtterBox and left a message explaining my issue. I will post my results when I hear back from them.

And please ANYONE else using this case please see if you are experiencing the same issue
    I happen to be one of the lucky few who ordered 10 of these for $5.99 shipping. I have been using mine for two weeks now and have NO issues at all. Mine works perfectly. Sorry yours isn't. Maybe you just got a defective unit. But mine works great.
    07-14-09 09:02 PM
    I ordered 2 at $5.99 and love mine as well. No problems at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 09:15 PM
    I think ClintRo was having the same issue, or something similar to it. I will ask him and see if he did anything to fix it or not too.
    07-15-09 09:34 AM
    Same exact issue here. Thought I was going crazy. Just sent Otterbox an email. Their customer service has been great in the past, so I have high hopes and will post results too. Razor blade fix is fine and all- but for the money they cost...
    07-27-09 01:04 AM
    This is great cause maybe when there next case comes out this will be a fix.
    07-27-09 05:29 AM
    I did the razor blade fix... working fine now and the company already knows about it... so I will not bother calling them
    07-27-09 08:05 AM
    I think this case is wonderful. However, it significantly reduces the handset audio to a mere whisper and most mini-stereo jacks will not fit due to the plastic hardshell. Otherwise, fantastic.

K
    07-27-09 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD