02-10-10 03:37 PM
75 123
tools
    I just got my defender case for my storm 2 delivered about 10 minutes ago and I have to say that its perfect for me. My first worry was that the bottom buttons would be affected by the case and wouldn't press like some people have been saying but they're working fine of my phone. My second worry was having my invisible shield full body skin on there and that it would give me problems with putting on the case but it just slipped right over and secured just fine. Now while it does make the phone a bit bulky I wouldn't trade this safety for anything in the world. I had a commuter case on my 9530 but it just doesn't compare to this defender case. I'll pose some pics after I get off work. If you're hesitating on getting this case I suggest you hesitate no more and buy buy buy! =)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-09 04:10 PM
    hey guys i have the one for the orginal storm and let me tell you guys this its worth it but they actually have other series that are better for the average use i just bought the one that was 28 dollars and its working just fine for me but the defendeer series is more for people who are like constraction workers and really do it a number on there storm...
    Which is why I just bought it. I do a lot of field work at client locations and I cant afford for my Storm2 to go crunch.

Wondering how long it will take them to make the extra heavy 2.5" duty belt holster for this case now.

Not even listed on the site as "coming soon" like the Defender case was for the last couple weeks. I'm waiting for that before I even buy the Storm.
    Yeah thats the next thing I need
    Last edited by HES; 11-27-09 at 04:24 PM.
    11-27-09 04:18 PM
    darn!

have i made a mistake?

i just ordered commuter series....hasnt been sent out yet due to holiday...
    should i swap for a defender instead?

is it really much different in protecting when commuter compared to defender?
    11-28-09 11:49 AM
    darn!

have i made a mistake?

i just ordered commuter series....hasnt been sent out yet due to holiday...
    should i swap for a defender instead?

I'm pretty sure either way your phone will be protected!
    11-28-09 01:18 PM
    Just got my Defender and all I can say is WOW. This is one impressive case! It's my first time with an Otterbox but it definitely won't be my last!
    11-28-09 04:54 PM
    Both are better than most other cases, but the Defender is pretty much as good as it gets for impact resistance and helping keep it somewhat water resistant

Just got my Defender and all I can say is WOW. This is one impressive case! It's my first time with an Otterbox but it definitely won't be my last!
    Yeah, they are awesome. Bulky, but worthy.

People always ask me "what phone that is" because it looks so odd.
    11-28-09 05:00 PM
    Got mine yesterday, installed in a matter of minutes, but I ballsed up the screen protector. Got a spec of dust on it. Even after cleaning and being in a dust free environment. Or at least I though. Love the case. Best investment I made so far....
    11-28-09 05:16 PM
    My cases should be here by Weds. And not a minute too soon. My husband dropped his on concrete a couple of days ago. He currrently has one of those half cases that slides into a holster. Anyway, he escaped without any damage this time.
    11-28-09 11:49 PM
    The heavy duty holster for the S1 works pretty well with the s2 case. You can tell that it isn't made for it but it fits pretty well and the magnet still puts it to sleep as it should. I would say if you need the heavy duty holster the one for the S1 works well enough to buy it.
    11-29-09 12:00 AM
    I got my case today. It's big as ****. My phone does feel safe and secure, nonetheless. Just wish it came in a nice bright, girly color. Oh well...
    12-01-09 05:13 PM
    I got my case today. It's big as ****. My phone does feel safe and secure, nonetheless. Just wish it came in a nice bright, girly color. Oh well...
    Lets face it, the defender is a man's case. Probably why my girlfriend hated the one I bought for her Pearl.
    12-01-09 10:32 PM
    I should be getting my Defender case tomorrow. I currently have the Zagg Inisible Shield on it now, do I need to take all of that off to install to use the case? I'm assuming the Defender comes with it's own screen protector?
    12-02-09 07:30 PM
    yes it has a screen protector.
    12-02-09 07:40 PM
    is anyone having some play in the plastic shell at the bottom of the phone? almost creaking together because of the play in it?

normal? or should i contact otterbox about it?
    12-08-09 10:54 AM
    I should be getting my Defender case tomorrow. I currently have the Zagg Inisible Shield on it now, do I need to take all of that off to install to use the case? I'm assuming the Defender comes with it's own screen protector?
    no because i have the full body shield on mine and it slips over just fine. anyone who tells you otherwise is telling lies
    12-08-09 11:37 AM
    I think some people are asking this due to the problems some had with previous otterbox models (such as the one for the curve 8330) that wouldn't fit with a skin on. I had problems getting my curve to fit in the otterbox with a vinyl skin on it. And it was pretty thin. I ended up having to remove the front portion of the skin and just leave the battery cover skin in place.

But I think now they have engineered it to allow for stick-on skins.
    12-08-09 11:55 AM
    Ok I got my defender last night, put it on, and now Im having problems getting the Blackberry button to work as well. How did you resolve it?
    12-09-09 09:39 AM
    Got my Storm 2 last week and the Otterbox a few days later. Here is my review. Zero issues with the case, all buttons work absolutely flawlessly. The case is top notch in my book, and since I am a maintenance mechanic, this thing will serve me well. Another thought, I have always had an issue with cell phones being made smaller every year, and frankly I was getting tired of phones slipping out of my hands. This new Otterbox Defender case not only protects the phone perfectly (already dropped twice and not a scratch) but the larger case along with its rubber case really feels like a phone now. If anyone is having issues with the buttons or the screen not working, then you installed something wrong. The sliding action and tap and typing features are exactly the same as before I installed the screen protector and case. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. The only issues that I wish they would have addressed was to make the back come off without having to take off the whole case apart to swap batteries. If they ever do that I will upgrade faster than Rossie O'Donnell running to an all you can eat buffet.

P.S. No I'm not being paid by Otterbox to say this...LOL

Deric
    12-09-09 10:37 AM
    Ok I got my defender last night, put it on, and now Im having problems getting the Blackberry button to work as well. How did you resolve it?
    need answer to this as well. im raging over the bottom buttons. as soon as i installed the lens protector it got worse three fold.....
    Last edited by Roose00; 12-09-09 at 09:16 PM.
    12-09-09 04:29 PM
    need answer to this as well. im raging over the button buttons. as soon as i installed the lens protector it got worse three fold.....
    I took my screen protector off today. Now, it didn't cause problems so to speak but it looked so damn greasy all the time. I really can't see finderprints or shine when my screen is lit. Actually my screen feels so much better without it. The case feels great in my hand, tho. It was wi=orth every penny with the 20% off and free shipping. Man, if they make it in hot pink or some bright shade of green, I would be soooo happy.
    12-09-09 05:02 PM
    Hey just wanted to share my experience so far after using this case for almost two weeks. My first issue with the case is one of the clips broke off on the holster sending my phone on a 8-9 foot drop off the loading dock to concrete. The phone is in perfect shape though, and the case wasn't that banged up either. I called Otterbox today, and they're sending me a new belt holster for free. The other issue I have with the case is the size of the LED hole. From what I can tell it hinders the operation of the face detecting LED while you're on a call. I've compared it to phone alone, and a simple silicone sleeve. The sleeve doesn't impact operation at all, where with the defender the screen doesn't time out immediately when I place it next to my ear. It also hinders the operation of the autodim by not allowing enough light in thus making the phone dim happy (once again compared to phone only, sleeve). With all that said, I still love the case for the protection that it provides, and Otterbox's customer service was great when I called them. I mentioned my thoughts on the size of the LED hole and he said he wasn't aware of any issues and would pass it on to a higher level. Just wanted to share with everyone and encourage others who notice issues with the LED hole to contact Otterbox. I'm willing to live with the screen being dim happy, but the screen not "locking" while on a call is a little annoying.
    12-16-09 12:29 PM
    Interesting, tell me more about the LED and what it does besides letting you know of a notification. I wasn't aware that there was supposed to be a face function on the phone. I am intrigued. Thanks in advance....don't you just love forums?
    12-16-09 01:02 PM
    Interesting, tell me more about the LED and what it does besides letting you know of a notification. I wasn't aware that there was supposed to be a face function on the phone. I am intrigued. Thanks in advance....don't you just love forums?
    Ok so I'm a newbie, but from my reading and observation of the phone...it fires another LED on top of the status LED while you're on the phone to detect the reflection of your skin and times out the display instantly and semi "locks" the screen. As soon as you pull the phone away from your ear it lights back up and "unlocks" the screen. Give it a try. Place any voice call and look very closely at the LED hole. You will notice a very small red LED firing very quickly and dimly that is separate from the status LED.

By all means I don't any official information as to the exact operation of that little extra LED, but from what I've read on here, and experimented with myself it definitely seems to have something to do with the screen lock while on a call. As I said in my original post, the defender case definitely has a negative impact on the operation of the lock on call. I look out of the corner of my eye and my screen stays lit until the 30 sec timeout is reached. Once that happens I can then easily press the screen (with the phone still touching my ear) and click it. When I remove the phone from the case completely, it operates correctly every time.
    12-16-09 02:04 PM
    Got my Storm 2 last week and the Otterbox a few days later. Here is my review. Zero issues with the case, all buttons work absolutely flawlessly. The case is top notch in my book, and since I am a maintenance mechanic, this thing will serve me well. Another thought, I have always had an issue with cell phones being made smaller every year, and frankly I was getting tired of phones slipping out of my hands. This new Otterbox Defender case not only protects the phone perfectly (already dropped twice and not a scratch) but the larger case along with its rubber case really feels like a phone now. If anyone is having issues with the buttons or the screen not working, then you installed something wrong. The sliding action and tap and typing features are exactly the same as before I installed the screen protector and case. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. The only issues that I wish they would have addressed was to make the back come off without having to take off the whole case apart to swap batteries. If they ever do that I will upgrade faster than Rossie O'Donnell running to an all you can eat buffet.

P.S. No I'm not being paid by Otterbox to say this...LOL

Deric
    Well after a few drops of the phone and one of the small round notches on the case breaking, I decided to look for a new case. Oh sure the case is under warranty, and this morning I received a whole new replacement from Otterbox. However I was disappointed how easily the phone got bumped out if my hip hit anything or you didn't quite get it snapped in right. So here is what I did.

I found a new case on line, its a Carbon Fiber case>>>> LINK

I received it last week, and as you can see it keeps the phone from dropping out. I was real worried that while riding my motorcycle the phone would just drop off and land on the ground and I wouldn't even know it till it was too late. This new case although a little expensive, is absolutely the best case to date. I know I said that about the Otterbox Defender case, but this one really feels great.

Bonus: I just discovered that the Otterbox case will fit perfectly into the Carbon Fiber holster. So now I have 2 options.

Now all that being said, I still think Oterbox makes an awesome case. I just think for me I really needed that extra assurance that the phone was not going to drop on the sidewalk anymore. It happened at least 6 times in the last month, and I just could not take any chances like that. Here is a picture of the otterbox case fitting into the Carbon Fiber holster. In fact the Otterbox actually fits tighter in the Carbon Fiber Case. So all around I think I have some combinations that will serve me well.

Another nice feature of the Carbon Fiber case is that its waaaaay easier to slide the phone out to pull the battery or just to swap in a new battery. With the Otterbox Case you have extra layers to get through. Also I noticed that the Otterbox Case was starting to get a little stretched out from taking off the skin. I suppose there is no perfect case out there since we all have so many different needs and requirements. But if you work at a job where there is the potential of the phone getting bumped out and to the ground, might I suggest the Carbon Fiber case.
    Last edited by deej1914; 02-08-10 at 11:29 AM.
    02-08-10 11:23 AM
    Its really too bad that Otterbox doesn't make a wrap around for their blackberry phone cases. That would be the best of both worlds, a case to protect from drops, and a holster to prevent the phone from falling out in the first place. Sometimes two different products can come together to compliment each other nicely. Kind of like chocolate and peanut butter, like in a Reese's peanut butter cup....no? ok LOL
    02-10-10 03:37 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD