01-16-10 06:05 PM
41 12
tools
    I received mine off ebay in the second day after ordering. Pulled it apart, buffed up my tour, slipped it in and on.

jesus christ this thing is like a military upgrade on your berry.

Ive had silicon cases and hard shell two peice clips. I really didn't like any of them and although the HOLSTER is bulky even my GF wasnt bothered by the size. She wants one, without the holster.

I dropped the phone in the mall on the tile in a store, and I knew then, immediately, this case paid for itself. I am not put off by size at all.

I am in a business that puts me in a phone breakable position daily.. I Love you OTTERBOX

btw I am mainly looking for the fem or metro lifestyled persons response. I am suggesting she goes with the commuter the impact is just a silicon case right? How is it?

opinions and a**holes please?
    Last edited by BBTree; 10-24-09 at 10:56 AM.
    10-24-09 10:44 AM
    The commuter is very nice, using it right now. Only major difference is it doesn't look like a helmet but does protect it very well. Its a two piece silicon and plastic skin which conform together. Only pet peeve I have about it is the lack of keyboard protector like there is on the defender and the earpiece and led light don't perfectly align.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-09 11:10 AM
    my store has carried the otterbox for the curve for almost a year now. people gasp when they see the pricetags, but almost everyone that buys it comes back to tell me how it has paid for itself several times over. the local sheriff's office requires their deputies to use the defenders on their bb's (if that gives you an idea of the durability factor).

i would assume the commuter for the curve is comparable for the tour. the curve commuter version doesn't offer the water resistance like the defender does, but it is a much more attractive design than the defender if you're going for form over function.

when we start selling the tour next week (uscc launches it on 10/29) i would guess we'll sell the otterbox for it as well. i don't mind the bulk because i rarely carry my curve in a pocket. best investment you can make in a $500 device.

(yes, the impact is just a rugged silicone skin)
    10-24-09 11:11 AM
    The commuter is very nice, using it right now. Only major difference is it doesn't look like a helmet but does protect it very well. Its a two piece silicon and plastic skin which conform together. Only pet peeve I have about it is the lack of keyboard protector like there is on the defender and the earpiece and led light don't perfectly align.

I wonder if the key protector from the defender can be bought for the commuter.. I wouldn't doubt it.

thanks
    10-24-09 11:14 AM
    I'm strongly debating whether I want to make that purchase or not... don't like the skin or other protectors --- been nekkid since I had my Tour, but seriously thinking it's time for protection... I just hate the bulk.
    10-24-09 11:24 AM
    Well how do you carry it? If you use the holster it should suit you fine, but I have the sprint tour and the silver bezel could scratch very easily. I'm looking long term in this phone and after 2 years probably upgrade and looking to sell this phone. The better condition I keep it in, the easier it would sell. But I am also a clumsy person and as soon as I put this thing on I started dropping it constantly. Now I'm not worried about damaging it.

10-24-09 11:50 AM
    I use the Otterbox Impact with a BSE screen protector, and I am really, really happy with the combo
    11-09-09 09:40 AM
    Do any of the Otterbox products offer a rigid/hard plastic cover over the screen?
    I ask because I just broke my screen and had to get another Tour

I looked at what I thought was the toughest version of the Otterbox case and it only had a thick soft plastic layer over the screen. I am not sure what model it was.
    11-09-09 01:37 PM
    The Defender case has a thin plastic membrane over the screen. It is somewhat rigid plastic but very thin. If something were to poke in the area of the screen, it would be protected from scratching but not from a real indent crack.

One could probably create your own lucite pane to fit into the "frame" recess that the case creates.

What I've done is remove the spring clip from the holster and use that in my pocket. Still thicker than many would like but it works for me in my blazer/suit jacket.
    11-09-09 03:18 PM
    Thanks for the reply!
    I cracked my screen because I was carrying something heavy and letting it rest against my pockets...it crushed my screen...

It seems strange to me that the Otterbox doesn't offer rigid screen protection...especially considering how beefed up the rest of their case is. If something rigid hits that screen...it is going to break it...I assumed the screen was much sturdier than is actually is like other phones that feature a built in rigid plastic layer over the actual screen.

Are there no other manufacturers that sell a case that features a rigid screen protector?
    11-09-09 03:50 PM
    Since owning this tour I have now officially randomly droppe dit more times then I have ever dropped any phone, put together.

and each time I laugh and mumble something about that ***** being worth its weight in a green substance.
    11-09-09 10:50 PM
    I've had the Otterbox Defender on my 8900 since the day I got the phone...figured spending the $50 on the case was worth it to protect a rather pricey phone.
    I love it, absolutley love it. It is a bit bulky, and the edges around the keyboard are a little awkward at first but it's totally worth it.
    I do have to agree that the screen protector should be more rigid. However, if you carry it on your belt with the holster...or even as F2 said, without the clip but with the holster...the screen faces inward so only the fully protected "posterior" of the phone is exposed, that should be more than enough protection under average circumstances.

I also have a Defender case for my iPod Classic...equally bulky, but equally bada**.
    11-11-09 01:58 AM
    I like mine well enough for my curve. Thing is, I like the slim feel of the curve with just a screen protector. I think I'm going to put mine up for sale on ebay.
    11-12-09 05:53 PM
    Took the plunge today on the defender for my tour. One sweet case! Not as bulky as I thought it might be so I'm lovin' it.
    11-13-09 08:17 PM
    @Don
    BodyGlove makes a snap on case for the curve that has a thick plastic screen cover.

11-13-09 09:50 PM
    The Seidio Innocase 360 is also a snap on case with a thick plastic screen cover. I love mine but I've always been tempted to get an Otterbox. The lack of a better screen protector, however, has turned me off a bit.
    11-18-09 11:33 AM
    My defender saved my storm in a wreck I was in and I will never have anything else. That being said right now I have some sorry generic case and holster until I get my preordered defender that keeps getting pushed back. Sheesh.
    11-18-09 11:40 AM
    Does the Otterbox series keep dust and moisture from getting under the screen? I would like to use my GPS program to track my running distance/speed etc. but am cautious about getting junk under the screen.
    11-23-09 06:43 PM
    Do the otterbox cases scratch the phone like the seidos do?
    11-24-09 05:35 PM
    Does the Otterbox series keep dust and moisture from getting under the screen? I would like to use my GPS program to track my running distance/speed etc. but am cautious about getting junk under the screen.
    The case provides some measure of water resistance but is not waterproof. What it does contain is a very thin plastic film that is glued (or heat welded) to the case's front piece. So that even if water were to get on the area where the screen is located, it should not penetrate under the case in that area. That does not mean that water might not get in from where the keyboard is located (although there is a separate plastic "envelope" that wraps around that area. And water can possibly get in from the rubber gasketted doors that allow access to the headphone jack and power plug.

In other words, when I hike or bike or cross-country ski with it, I still have it in a ziplock bag. Harsh environments in inclement weather. I certainly would not keep it in an arm band when it is raining out.
    11-26-09 09:20 AM
    i absolutly love the otterbox defender case. yes it feels like an old school nextel phone but if it keeps my tour looking good, then im in.
    12-04-09 10:15 AM
    i ordered a commuter case and they sent me this hugh Defender case!!!!! Def dont want it..I want my Commuter!
    12-04-09 01:45 PM
    Heres my commuter case on my storm2

12-05-09 12:14 PM
    Just got my otterbox defender today and wow what a case. It does make the phone a bit bigger yes, but I love it. I feel that it's actually a lot easier to type on, and gives the phone a better feel to it when holding it. Love it, love it, love it.
    12-18-09 07:37 PM
    I got the Otterbox Defender the same day I got my Tour. I used it 3 days. Things I don't like about the Defender.
    1.) Pressing the buttons on top of the case are just about impossible.
    2.) They need to fix the area of the charging port. Had to take a knife and trim plastic off the USB plug so that it could fit into the case to charge and connect to computer.
    3.) You can NOT feel the phone vibrate at all when it is in that big bulky holster that comes with it.

If you do not use the holster and dont really care about the button issue this case by far is one of the best for protecting the phone hands down.

I have had my phone for over a month now and I have yet to find a case I really like.
    12-25-09 08:53 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD