It's expensive
    BlackBerry Bold Defender Series // OtterBox.com

Now of course, putting aside the price,
    the design is unique, futuristic perhaps (like oakley) and
    has a very cool protective feature.

However, it makes the phone BULKY and THICK.
    This is the set-off for my sister. She wants it to be thin still.

So I guess in a way I am asking,
    is there any other accessories that is like otterbox but thinner?
    (Protects from all sides?)
    06-23-09 05:32 AM
    The innocase 360. It completely covers and protects your phone. Screen, Keyboard, everything, and not near as bulky as the otterbox. Now it wont give you as much protection as the otterbox as far as impact goes. But will definatly help.
    06-23-09 07:39 AM
    One of my co-workers has his Bold in one of these and I swear it's like he has a tank on his hip. Now for some reason he can't get the damn thing open to clean his Bold.
    06-23-09 07:43 AM
    From what research I've done your two best bets for "all around" protection, other than the otter box are either the innocase 360 as suggested above or the case-mate smart skin. Neither will give anything close to the level of the protection of the otterbox, honestly they're really not good for much more than preventing scratches, but it's something. If anyone else has come up with another solution, please, do share, because I wouldn't mind knowing of one myself, until the navy sees the light and will let me wear my bold on my belt.
    06-23-09 08:02 AM
    From what research I've done your two best bets for "all around" protection, other than the otter box are either the innocase 360 as suggested above or the case-mate smart skin. Neither will give anything close to the level of the protection of the otterbox, honestly they're really not good for much more than preventing scratches, but it's something. If anyone else has come up with another solution, please, do share, because I wouldn't mind knowing of one myself, until the navy sees the light and will let me wear my bold on my belt.
    The military doesn't let you wear your phone on your belt? Or is it just the Navy? When I was in the Air Force you couldn't wear any phone on your belt because they were so big back then and you could take out an eye with the antenna!
    06-23-09 08:07 AM
    Honestly I'm not sure, but I know uniform regs for the Navy only allow command issued devices to be worn. So it's either convince them to by me something else to keep the department, as well as my own schedule, or keep my bold hidden in my pocket.
    06-23-09 08:13 AM
    I am using case-mate smart skin at the moment actually.
    (The ones with 3 colors right? Black/Silver/Red)

But the bad thing about it is that
    1st - it allows dust to go in forcing me to clean it every once a week
    (Which is ok i guess, just that i work in industry, so it can get dusty)
    2nd - whenever i opened it, it extends the silicon and now there's like a 'crack' in the skin (I could be gentler i suppose >_<)
    3rd - the colors wear off! My silver is now like 1/10th gone
    (I could get black but then i like silver better)

So yeah, i really wanted an otterbox
    I dont mind paying that much but I dont want to turn my blackberry into tankberry~

PS: For those who wishes to recommend me,
    could you also give me the link to where to get it or so?
    Or at least show me a picture of what it looks like?
    06-23-09 12:00 PM
    No, the Smart Skin is different than the silicone case. I'm not able to post links yet, or I would, but the Smart Skin is an all-around case, unlike the silicone which just covers the sides and back.
    06-23-09 12:13 PM
    By the way, with regards to Innocase 360,
    does it cover the keyboard?

Also, I dont see it anywhere on ebay
    I saw it in the crackberry shop but they dont send it to Indonesia Jakarta
    Last edited by Stalvros; 06-23-09 at 12:34 PM.
    06-23-09 12:14 PM
    I love the Otterbox Defender. It's not that big. My work takes me into all sorts of industrial plants so I need the protection for my Bold. Their customer service is great too. When I broke the holster, they sent me a new one, no questions, no hassle. As far as the price, I consider it cheap insurance since replacing the phone would cost $600.

The only thing I don't like about the Defender is the clear plastic layer. I never could get all the air bubbles out on the screen. My solution was to add Clear Protector invisible armor to the phone instead, and then put it in the Defender. This seems to be the perfect combination and fits great.
    06-24-09 02:46 PM
    Honestly I'm not sure, but I know uniform regs for the Navy only allow command issued devices to be worn. So it's either convince them to by me something else to keep the department, as well as my own schedule, or keep my bold hidden in my pocket.
    The new regs say you can wear a communications device, just so that it doesn't take away from your appearance and is aft of your elbow or something of that nature. I'd have to digg up the exact reg...
    06-24-09 09:37 PM
    im a bricklayer and the only time my bold used to leave my hip (other than to sleep) was when im working, cutting bricks and stone and blocks leaves us covered in dust everyday and i never wanted to risk my baby! this case has allowed me to keep my berry on my hip without worries of it getting ruined from dust or bumps and scratches, for my almost 700 dollar phone this investment was worth every penny! would have paid double without hesitation!
    07-18-09 05:38 PM
    Innocase 360 is great. Covers the entire phone with less bulk that the Smart Case and Otterbox...which I already had both.
    Seidio
    07-18-09 07:27 PM
    I had the smart case before but the case tends to stretch
    in time. Now I have the otterbox, yeah, the thing
    looks like a tank but it is great protection for my blackberry and
    I'm used to its size by now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 09:52 AM
    The only thing I don't like about the Defender is the clear plastic layer. I never could get all the air bubbles out on the screen. My solution was to add Clear Protector invisible armor to the phone instead, and then put it in the Defender. This seems to be the perfect combination and fits great.
    Here's your screen bubble fix
    youtube.com/watch?v=Im7vvblnzoY
    07-24-09 11:04 AM
    It makes the device looks thick and 'fat'
    07-24-09 11:13 AM
    I'll take thick and fat over a scratched and dusty bold.

Also works great as limited water protection. 3 year old fell into shallow end of pool at my mother in laws house. I jumped in without thinking and water came up to my waist and bold in otterbox on my belt got splashed with water. As soon as I got out I took apart the case and there were only a few drops on the phone itself where as the case was covered. The mother of the child told me she would buy me a new phone but my otterbox paid for itself by keeping my bold safe.
    07-24-09 11:37 AM
    That is ugly, not to mention that the Bold is already huge.
    I'm enjoying mine in all of it's nakedness like it was intended.
    07-24-09 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD