I have recently changed back from the Bold 9650 to the Bold 9700. I loved my Otterbox commuter case with the 9650 especially since I was able to modify the case to put in the extended battery with no size difference. Can this modification also be done with the 9700? I have been searching all day on crackberry, google & youtube and have found nothing specifically about the 9700. They all talk about the 9650. Anyone made this modification with the 9700? Also I like to use a holster with the commuter case. Which Seidio holster should do I get - the innocase, innocase II or the innocase rugged holster? Hopefully Otterbox will finally decide to sell a holster to fit its own case! Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note the memory difference is HUGE between the two Bolds. I actually had to decide what apps I really did not need and not install them. Hopefully my company is due for phone upgrades soon!
    Last edited by patkennedyjr; 08-07-11 at 01:53 AM.
    08-07-11 12:17 AM
    If the 9650 and 9700 look the same, same button arrangement, same camera arrangement with the flash, it should fit the 9700 without any issues. That is how I would go about it. If you wanna stretch the OEM holster for it to fit, place something that's just a few mm's thicker than it insid, such as two D side batteries, or a deck of cards and a half, for 24-72 hours. Once that is done, it should fit perfectly snug.

EDIT: The battery covers from ebay for 9700 or 9650 extended batteries, are what you need. You could sell the extra battery to somebody.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-11 03:00 AM
    I don't think I worded my question correctly. I do not plan on reusing the 9650 commuter case for the 9700 that my company gave me to use. I actually have a brand new commuter case coming for the 9700 as we speak. I wanted to know if the same modifications could be made for an extended battery on the 9700 commuter case just like the modifications I made on the 9650 commuter case.
    You can find all sorts of 9650 info on line for mod'ing the commuter case but nothing for the 9700.

08-08-11 11:37 AM
    I don't think I worded my question correctly. I do not plan on reusing the 9650 commuter case for the 9700 that my company gave me to use. I actually have a brand new commuter case coming for the 9700 as we speak. I wanted to know if the same modifications could be made for an extended battery on the 9700 commuter case just like the modifications I made on the 9650 commuter case.
    You can find all sorts of 9650 info on line for mod'ing the commuter case but nothing for the 9700.

You likely could still modify it. Just do it the same way, since both devices are basically the same, except one's got double the memory and is CDMA.

08-08-11 06:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD