Yesterday I received the Otterbox for my new BB Curve 8350i, ordered directly from otterbox.com. The case has a much better design that the one I had for my 8830. the actually put plastic tabs in areas of the case to keep the rubber in place. The screen protector is actually built into the case and is a harder acrylic film. It does add some girth to the phone since the 8350i is a little thicker than the standard BB Curve.

One thing I noticed is that they placed the magnet in the wrong location on the holster. It is slightly off center of the case, which prevents the phone from going into "holster" mode. I have contacted Otterbox directly and made them aware of it. Customer service is supposed to speak with engineering about the issue and get back with me.

Has anyone else purchased an otterbox for the new 8350i? If so, was the magnet placed in the wrong location on the holster?
    12-20-08 04:00 PM
    I read in a previous post about complaints from people hearing an echo when they're speaking with you on a phone with the otterbox case. I did not have this issue with my BB 8830 otterbox case. I DID with this case. Between the echoing and the incorrect magnet placement, I decided to return the device. They still need to work the bugs out of it.
    12-22-08 07:24 PM
    My friend and I both order the case and today we both received emails stating that they are aware of the problem. Here's what they say:

Dear Customer,
    We have identified a design issue with the holster on the 8350i Defender Case. The latest model of the device re-located the magnet that puts the phone in rest mode. Thus, our current holster does not function as designed. We are currently offering a recall with free shipping back if you wish to return the case you purchased or you can keep the unit and we will automatically send a New Re-designed Holster with the correct magnet placement in mid to late January. We apologize for this error and the inconvenience caused. Thank you for supporting our products and we hope to remain your favorite choice for protection of your handheld devices!
    12-23-08 07:39 PM
    Yeah, I got the same email. I already sent the case back though. The people I would talk with on the phone were getting way too much echo. You hose draggers probably only use the PPT anyway, so you shouldn't have a problem. (That's a little police humor)
    12-23-08 10:22 PM
    You hose draggers probably only use the PPT anyway, so you shouldn't have a problem. (That's a little police humor)
    Nice!

What's the harm in the phone not going in to rest mode? Will it drain the battery quicker? I know it's not optimal, but will it be ok for a while?

I think I may just use the case and holster until the new holster arrives. I need something to keep it from getting trashed.
    12-24-08 10:17 AM
    Everyone I talk to hears an echo echo when they speak. I removed the phone from the case, and no more echo echo.

Anyone know of a fix for this, other than removing the case??
    12-27-08 11:12 AM
    Everyone I talk to hears an echo echo when they speak. I removed the phone from the case, and no more echo echo.

Anyone know of a fix for this, other than removing the case??
    Erik, are you still using the case? I was just about to order this case when I found this thread. Still echos while in the case?
    01-05-09 06:27 AM
    Erik, are you still using the case? I was just about to order this case when I found this thread. Still echos while in the case?
    I removed the case and do not use it. I contacted Otter Box and their solution was to remove the plug for the USB port and headphone jack while I talk on the phone. I had already tried this and it only made the problem marginally better. In my opinion, this is not an acceptable solution.
    I was really hoping for a better solution as the case seems very well built and will do a great job protecting the BB, however, it is basically unusable with the echo problem.
    01-05-09 08:22 AM
    I removed the case and do not use it. I contacted Otter Box and their solution was to remove the plug for the USB port and headphone jack while I talk on the phone. I had already tried this and it only made the problem marginally better. In my opinion, this is not an acceptable solution.
    I was really hoping for a better solution as the case seems very well built and will do a great job protecting the BB, however, it is basically unusable with the echo problem.
    I know. It's a shame. I had the Otterbox for my 8830 and loved it. I had to return the one for my 8350i. I think I weeped when I was boxing it back up. I love their cases, but the echo problem made the phone unusable.

That being said, I have a feeling that the issue isn't completely Otterbox's fault. I suspect that when they designed the 8350i, they made the speaker a little louder and the mic a little more sensitive due to the fact that NEXTEL phones tend to be used by people with occupations that tend to be a little louder (police/fire/construction).
    01-05-09 09:46 AM
    I emailed otterbox and got a response the other day. Some good info.

Update for Case #28031 - "8350i defender"

We are in the process of making the Defender case for the 8350i, and you can sign up for an email notification as soon as it is available for purchase.

The belt clip will usually fit a belt that is 2 inches or less. We are looking to make a heavy duty belt clip for the BlackBerry cases, but we do not have a release date for them at this time.

The echo is something that we are looking into, and we do have a solution for it at this time. When talking on the phone, you will want to remove the silicone port cover that is over the charging port area. You don't want to pull the silicone piece all the way off, just pull it out of the hard plastic case when on the phone. Also, turn the volume down on the phone to about half.

The recall has made the product not available online, as we did not want to ship any more of the cases out with the defective holster. They will, most likely, be back online around the middle or end of January as of right now.

If you buy from a new reseller you want to make sure that the case states it is for the 8350i. The Curve 8300 Series case (1935) is not for the 8350i.

Thank you,
    Natasha Meggenberg
    01-07-09 01:46 PM
    I'm not entirely happy with their echo solution. Taking the silicone plug out while talking on the phone is a temporary solution. They need to add some type of sound detoning material to the inside of the case to prevent the sound coming out of the earpiece to reverberate down to the mic (causing the echo). Phone manufacturers use a similar substance, placed in spicific locations within phones, to prevent talkback (echo).
    01-07-09 01:52 PM
    I'm not entirely happy with their echo solution. Taking the silicone plug out while talking on the phone is a temporary solution. They need to add some type of sound detoning material to the inside of the case to prevent the sound coming out of the earpiece to reverberate down to the mic (causing the echo). Phone manufacturers use a similar substance, placed in spicific locations within phones, to prevent talkback (echo).
    You must be off today too (or typing from your MDT!!!)

I certainly can't offer a solution, but removing the silicone plug while talking is a lame fix for the problem.
    01-07-09 01:57 PM
    You must be off today too (or typing from your MDT!!!)

I certainly can't offer a solution, but removing the silicone plug while talking is a lame fix for the problem.
    Nope. Assigned to IT (Desk job). But I agree, lame.
    01-07-09 04:45 PM
    I'm about to show my newbieness, but....what's that (little) magnet for on the holster?
    02-01-09 03:14 PM
    Thank you all for your post and saving a guy some money. I was about to order this case then i cam across the forum and it has helped me make my decision.
    02-08-09 10:49 AM
    Wish i would have found this post before i ordered my case last week. But how bad can this echo problem realliy be? is it the caller or the person on the other ned that hear the echo?
    02-08-09 08:31 PM
    The echo occurs on my case also. I am sad b/c the case is awesome. No other one will compare. I work in the construction field and need a great case. Does anyone know of another that does not cause an echo?
    02-11-09 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD