08-03-08 01:26 PM
71 123
tools
    I have one for my 8830. I generally like it (don't use the belt clip) but lots of bubbles over the screen. It does add bulk and unlike some leather cases, does not provide any firm protection over the screen - only the clear vinyl for scratch protection.

It will also make doing battery pulls a real pain for those who do those routinely.

I wanted protection when I toss it into my day/backpack when hiking or cross-country skiing and when bicycling. So I do miss a harder screen protector.
    03-10-08 01:06 PM
    I have had no issues with it,(everything fits fine)
    and so far i have kicked its ****.
    when i go out with the wife, i take it out of the
    case and put it into my leather case and the pearl
    looks like day one.
    03-10-08 07:53 PM
    Just ordered one for my 8830. I'll post up a review after installing it and playing around a bit.
    03-11-08 07:27 AM
    I ordered one for my curve on sunday. It should be here tomorrow. I hope I dont regret making this impulse purchase.
    03-11-08 04:30 PM
    My Otterbox came in today. I ordered it from here and got no discount. I guess that makes me a crappy consumer.

As stated there are 4 pieces; inner membrane, hard case, rubbery cover, then the hard shell with belt clip.

The directions are clear and easy to read.

I took my time putting on the inner membrane and got it on pretty nicely with a credit card. There are a couple of bubbles but nothing major. I have no doubt that if I'd used the water/soap trick as outlined in the directions I could get them out. On my 8830 it fit perfectly over the keys and trackball. One note, be careful with the membrane, it will pick up dust if you don't immediately put it on after unfolding it. Being patient is key to getting the bubbles out, this isn't something you can just slap on and go.

Snap the hard case over, then slip the rubber type cover over that and you're done.

I made a few test calls and have no one heard an echo or that far away sound that I've heard about.

The only downside I've noticed is that the keys on the bottom row are a touch more difficult to get to. I'm sure I won't notice it in a day or two.

The case is a little bulky but I can still put my 8830 in my jeans pocket.

If you're an active person or just mistreat your phones I
    can't recommend this case enough.
    03-12-08 07:34 PM
    I got my otterbox for my curve last week. It was not as bulky as I thought it was going to be. I took it with me to northern California this weekend on a fishing trip. I put it to the test in dirt, snow, Ice and concrete. it came out of it with flying colors. Someone earlier said that the magnet holster option did not work with the otter box. I dont know how old that post was but it does work well.

I have to admit this was an impulse buy, but now that Ive had it for a little while I am glad I made the purchase.
    03-17-08 03:58 PM
    Thanks for all the support, we take pride in our cases!!!

The Defender Series offers your BlackBerry Pearl, Curve & 8800 series 3 layers of all around protection. From head to toe your device is covered with a hard hi-impact polycarbonate shell, silicone skin and a thermal formed clear embrane protects the screen and keyboard.
    04-04-08 11:26 AM
    Thanks for all the support, we take pride in our cases!!!

The Defender Series offers your BlackBerry™ Pearl, Curve & 8800 series 3 layers of all around protection. From head to toe your device is covered with a hard hi-impact polycarbonate shell, silicone skin and a thermal formed clear embrane protects the screen and keyboard.
    I was wondering if I can get the "belt" case without the clip??? I hike and bike and cross-country ski and throw the 8830 into a backpack or bike bag. I got the case for protection but would like to use the sleep function and a bit more screen protection, so having the holster assembly would be swell but I do not need the large belt clippy part. I really don't want to break apart my current holster, though.

Thanks in advance
    04-04-08 04:09 PM
    would look nice with a black bb
    04-06-08 06:44 PM
    just got my otterbox for my 8130. pretty nice case. the sleep function works very well. only part that bothers me is that the silicon mute button up on top is hard to press. anyone have similar issues?
    04-07-08 04:59 PM
    How mch extra weight/thickness does it add to the phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-08 07:06 PM
    I just got mine last week, I drop my berry almost everyday now (albeit just showing off the case most of the time) Its tough as nails.. My only beef is I normally use a spare battery and charger and just swap battery and never really use the berry to charge. Its not really convenient with this case to do so.

The plastic layer inside I do not use either, I find with the bubbles and slight annoyance when typing is not worth the water resistance as that has never been a problem with any one of my berrys.. *knock on wood*
    04-07-08 07:30 PM
    How mch extra weight/thickness does it add to the phone?

i don't think it adds extra bulk. I mean it does a little and you can notice it compared to a bare pearl. But it is comfortable to hold on to and such.
    04-07-08 11:51 PM
    The plastic layer inside I do not use either, I find with the bubbles and slight annoyance when typing is not worth the water resistance as that has never been a problem with any one of my berrys.. *knock on wood*
    does your pearl moves around in the case without the plastic layer? mine does...it's not bad but it's noticeable. It wiggles inside of it. I bet with the plastic layer, it would fit snuggly.
    04-07-08 11:55 PM
    Just got one for my 8130 today, and I'm not only having issues with standby mode, but also with the black rubber where it meets with the screen. The rubber keeps peeling away, even though it is seated properly in it's holes. The standby magnet doesn't seem to work, what are the chances I got one of the older cases? It was purchased from a 3rd party online store not OB.
    04-08-08 04:37 PM
    That sounds really strange Brendo...it's not supposed to have that many issues. It's a really sturdy case that fits very well. Can you return the product?

If you're still interested in purchasing a OtterBox for your 8130, you can go to Semsons & Co. Inc. and buy it for $39.99. They have a free shipping promotion right now, so it's a really good deal. I saved a lot! Here's the blog site that mentions the coupon codes: Semsons Says! Semsons. Just scroll down a little to find it. You can read the reviews for the OtterBox cases too (if you like).
    04-08-08 06:07 PM
    I actually did buy it from Semsons, but I got in touch with OtterBox service about the issues. They are sending me a new holster to correct the magnet issue, and sending me a new rubber for the outside as well. It is a very nice case though, I'm coming to BB from a Nextel/Mike background, so I'm used to very durable and rubber coated phones. I was worried about destroying my BB at work but with the OtterBox I am much less concerned.
    I'm sure all my problems will sort themselves out once I get the new parts.
    04-08-08 08:29 PM
    i have owned a otterbox for a few months now and i find it very use and it protects my bb very well ..i also find the clear screen very useful to protect against water and dirt .. but only down side i dont like about the clear screen it makes my pics poor quality with the clear screen on it .. other that that it works very well to protect my bb
    04-08-08 09:57 PM
    Just got one for my 8130 today, and I'm not only having issues with standby mode, but also with the black rubber where it meets with the screen. The rubber keeps peeling away, even though it is seated properly in it's holes. The standby magnet doesn't seem to work, what are the chances I got one of the older cases? It was purchased from a 3rd party online store not OB.
    I've got one for my 8830. I, too, have the issue with the rubber shell not holding well along the screen. The little rubber nubbin just does not hold well in the lower right corner. The others seem fine. I don't know if it is the rubber or the "slot" which holds the nubbin to a bit wide???

Did you call or email them?
    04-08-08 11:16 PM
    I actually did buy it from Semsons, but I got in touch with OtterBox service about the issues. They are sending me a new holster to correct the magnet issue, and sending me a new rubber for the outside as well. It is a very nice case though, I'm coming to BB from a Nextel/Mike background, so I'm used to very durable and rubber coated phones. I was worried about destroying my BB at work but with the OtterBox I am much less concerned.
    I'm sure all my problems will sort themselves out once I get the new parts.
    oh...sorry to hear that. If all fails, you can give them a call. I've had to call them a couple of times and their customer support team was pretty helpful (and nice about it).
    04-09-08 11:14 AM
    Called them today about the silicon not grabbing at the bottom right of the screen for my 8830 case. Also asked about a spare belt clip.

Easy, quick service from them. I purchased it from the Crackberry store.
    04-09-08 06:57 PM
    Does the "in-holster" function work with the Otterbox?
    05-27-08 08:28 PM
    I got mine and love it! I love the "membrane" for the keys... I paint, and have kids so no grimey hands cluckening up tthe keys now! Yay! Woot woot!

05-27-08 08:49 PM
    Is the magnetic holster thingy issue fixed now?

06-12-08 07:14 PM
    I've got the one for the 8830 and the Magnet works fine.

It does make the device more bulky and depending on your point of view - it makes getting inside - battery pull, SD card access a very reluctant task.
    06-13-08 09:36 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD