still new at this - using the Otterbox Defender with BB Curve 8530 - after charging phone overnight, today by 2 :00 p.m. my battery was almost dead. I kept the phone ON and in the Otterbox Defender all day, but did NOT use it at all. I thought if the phone was in the otterbox, it would save on battery usage because the Otterbox puts the phone to sleep. Am I wrong about this? If not, why would battery be almost dead? Very confused!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-10 03:45 PM
    Need a little clarification here please. When you say it was in the Defender all day, do you mean the case or the holster that clips on your belt?
    03-06-10 03:54 PM
    Do you keep bluetooth or WiFi on all day?
    03-06-10 06:40 PM
    If it is just in the Defender case that does not put the phone on stand by. However being in a holster does.
    And if you have the Wifi or Bluetooth on it will drain the battery quickly and that is what it sounds like is causing it.
    03-06-10 06:53 PM
    I have the otter box commuter case and love it. My battery life sucks buts its better w/wifi and bt off. 8530.

03-07-10 08:24 AM
    Another thing you might want to look at is go to menu>switch applications> and see what is running. It should be browser,home screen,blackberry messenger,phone and messages. Or at least that is what it is for my sprint 8530

One day my battery didn't last long at all and it turned out I had 4 extra apps open. If you find an app open you do not want open go to menu again and go down to close.

03-07-10 09:38 AM
    sorry, I wasn't clear. Yes, I placed the BBCurve 8530 in the otterbox defender holster overnight thinking it would put the Curve to sleep (i.e., not use battery power overnight) and at the same time I was charging the BB in the wall outlet.

also, I have to leave the WiFi from my Time Capsule router on now 24/7 and have enabled it to be on in the Curve as well thus enhancing the cell phone network access from Sprint using AiRave.

Basic question at this is point, is the Otterbox Defender holster turning the BB Curve off when its in the holster or does the Curve continue to use the battery while its in the holster?
    thx
    03-07-10 01:24 PM
    Hi,

I'm also new to the Blackberry, but also have the 8530 and otterbox defender.
    I don't use the holster, but thought there was a option to turn on/off as to if the BB got put to sleep when in the holster.

I have the cell network and wi-fi on all day. I receive and reply to a number of emails all day long and seem to get about 1 1/2 - 2 days out of my battery. I leave it on all night too.
    03-07-10 01:46 PM
    You don't need the wifi enabled to use the airave. I have mine off right now and using the airave as I type this. You just need the airave to be hooked up to your highspeed connection/power. That's all.

It'll still use the battery just not as much as it would out of it.

03-07-10 04:18 PM
    sorry, I wasn't clear. Yes, I placed the BBCurve 8530 in the otterbox defender holster overnight thinking it would put the Curve to sleep (i.e., not use battery power overnight) and at the same time I was charging the BB in the wall outlet.

also, I have to leave the WiFi from my Time Capsule router on now 24/7 and have enabled it to be on in the Curve as well thus enhancing the cell phone network access from Sprint using AiRave.

Basic question at this is point, is the Otterbox Defender holster turning the BB Curve off when its in the holster or does the Curve continue to use the battery while its in the holster?
    thx
    If the phone was in the holster, the magnet at the bottom should put it to sleep and in a low power state. Make sure the magnet is there, it is on the bottom of the holster on the outside, it is a small round magnet, approx. 1/4" in diameter. To verify it is going into sleep mode, click your BB button to wake up the screen and then immediately slide the BB into the holster. As it reaches the bottom, you should be able to see the screen blackout.
    Last edited by kwkid; 03-07-10 at 07:02 PM. Reason: forgotten word
    03-07-10 07:01 PM
    this might be an old post, but i just bought the Otterbox defender for my pearl 8120 and i was haveing battery drain issues and i couldnt figure out if it was the otterbox or not..but i was watching as my battery would drain right in front of my eyes...and it started when i but the otterbox on, but then i remembered i also turned on the password protection that day with highest encryption, well i had the phone plugged in with those settings and my battery charge was staying at the bottom even after 2 hours..so i turned off encryption and password protection and after a few min i could watch my battery bar slowly go up, and actually fully charge....so maybe that will help..it helped me!
    03-22-10 08:50 PM
    I have the otter box commuter case and love it. My battery life sucks buts its better w/wifi and bt off. 8530.

They're full of it (the bb people). My 9700 is on all day with BT and wifi and everything else running and I can go 2 days easily on weekdays and even more on weekends. Once I start hearing stupid excuses a-la-iphone, I start to get really steamed! "Turn of ur BT", "Turn off ur wifi", "Turn off ur whole bloody phone!!". Sheesh.

03-23-10 06:33 AM
    They're full of it (the bb people). My 9700 is on all day with BT and wifi and everything else running and I can go 2 days easily on weekdays and even more on weekends. Once I start hearing stupid excuses a-la-iphone, I start to get really steamed! "Turn of ur BT", "Turn off ur wifi", "Turn off ur whole bloody phone!!". Sheesh.

8530/8520 do not use the same battery as bold or tour we got a lower mah battery with not as much life so for us turning off wifi and BT does make a big difference.
    03-23-10 12:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD