I work in a can plant (I'm posting from there right now) and will be leaving for the air force soon. With that in mind these are all harsh environs for my bb and I'm considering an otterbox. Is it worth it? And will it make my phone super hella fat?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-08 08:39 PM
    They dont make them tooo fat, but, they are a little larger..I would shop around for the best deal and cheapest shipping.
    07-04-08 09:00 PM
    But they are good cases though?

07-04-08 09:44 PM
    I am in the Army and have the Otterbox case for my Sprint 8830WE. It is the best and only case I have ever needed. It does add some bulk to the phone but it's good bulk. Especially if you are prone to drops and spend time in harsh enviroments. It doesn't make your phone indestructible but the protection is worth the price.
    07-04-08 09:53 PM
    Not super fat but fat enough. You can also look at the seidio rubberized hard case with holster.
    07-04-08 10:02 PM
    There is no better PROTECTION than an Otter Box Case
    07-04-08 10:26 PM
    There is no better PROTECTION than an Otter Box Case
    Lol that's not a plug at all bur then again its what I asked for. Are the seido as tough as the otterboxes?

07-04-08 11:52 PM
    The otterbox provides 3 levels of protection. There is a clear membrane that wraps around the front, top and rear of the unit covering the screen and the keyboard and providing a "fiber" membranes over the speaker ports. While not fully waterproof (do not dunk it), it provides very good protection against some water and definitely dust, grit.

Next is the two-piece hard shell which provides drop protection and then the rubber outer piece. All in all, very fine protection and they guarantee it all for life.
    07-05-08 12:09 AM
    With the seidio rubberized hard case you need to have on an invisible sheild to protect the screen. I don't have anything protecting the keypad so its not wrapped up like the otterbox. However that level of protection is ok for me that's why I use the sedio rubberized. It gives the device a slim sleek look. You can wear it in the holster or in your pocket.
    07-05-08 12:09 AM
    Bah, I almost dropped my phone again today, Im getting the otterbox. For a good deal go to amazon!

Amazon.com: Used and New: Otterbox Defender Case for BlackBerry Curve, Black
    07-07-08 06:13 AM
    Otterbox is definitely the way to go. I had one for my pearl. I inadvertently left my pearl in an outside pants pocket when I made a fire run a few weeks ago. After 3 hours of very hot, damp, dusty, smokey conditions inside a burning house it didn't have a scratch. No dust inside the case and no moisture got through either.

I plan on getting one for my curve once my wife lets me...
    07-07-08 08:27 AM
    i ordered one, should be here tomorrow. i'll let you guys know how it works.
    07-07-08 09:15 AM
    How difficult is it to type through the membrane on the otter box? Thanks.
    07-07-08 01:39 PM
    The otterbox is about utter protection for your device. With that in mind, would you rather have a effed up Berry or a protected Berry??

Being in your situation, I would go OtterBox and not look back one bit!

Seido hard rubber cases are nice when they are used within their capabilities. The OtterBox is what you need... try to find a deal and save your Berry
    07-07-08 01:41 PM
    search the forums some one had a good used one for sale a few days ago
    07-07-08 02:03 PM
    good question regarding "typing through the membrane"....anyone know this answer?
    07-07-08 02:05 PM
    I am new to texting, etc and I don't see much of a difference with the membrane on. I like the Otterbox very much.

07-07-08 02:16 PM
    good question regarding "typing through the membrane"....anyone know this answer?

It fits the keys perfect...I never noticed a difference with or without the membrane.
    07-07-08 02:18 PM
    that's good to know, i was always worried about the membrane.
    07-07-08 02:21 PM
    I find that the membrane actually helps give my fingers more "traction" and so dont slip off the buttons (i usually press them with my fingernails).
    07-07-08 06:29 PM
    How difficult is it to type through the membrane on the otter box? Thanks.

The membrane is easy to type through. Almost unnoticeable. The only down side Ive experienced is the camera clarity isnt as clear due to the lens being covered. I cut that section away but left the remainder of the membrane intact.

07-07-08 06:49 PM
    I work in a can plant (I'm posting from there right now) and will be leaving for the air force soon. With that in mind these are all harsh environs for my bb and I'm considering an otterbox. Is it worth it? And will it make my phone super hella fat?

I love mine, I'm very glad as it's saved my Berry from at least 3 disasters. I went through 2 phones before spending the $$

Great case and they cover everything for life. Already had to get a belt clip replaced that I snagged getting into the car. No problems at all they shipped me a new holder and I got it in 3 days. No fuss at all.
    07-07-08 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD