06-27-09 03:14 PM
266 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Mine just came today. Sleeper magnet is apparently resolved with the latest shipments. I'm experiencing the same problem reported elsewhere with the pressure against the camera button, so trying to break it in the best I can. Looks great, just eager to make it work great. But I guess too tight is better than too loose (let the filthy-minded run with that one....)
    04-06-09 02:57 PM
    They seem to be working quicker..Received my tracking number (delivery on the 8th) and ordered two weeks ago..
    04-06-09 03:13 PM
    I mailed my original case to the FL address on 4/3. They are sending me a replacement, as my sleeper magnet was defective. I certainly hope mine is as "FictionWeLive's" replacement: heavier-dutier, with a larger, well finctioning, sleeper magnet! It's just waiting for it again. They asked me to send the original back before they would send out a replacement...
    04-06-09 10:21 PM
    I mailed my original case to the FL address on 4/3. They are sending me a replacement, as my sleeper magnet was defective. I certainly hope mine is as "FictionWeLive's" replacement: heavier-dutier, with a larger, well finctioning, sleeper magnet! It's just waiting for it again. They asked me to send the original back before they would send out a replacement...
    I received my Storm iVolution TopSP last Friday. It had a decent-sized, what appeared to be heavy-duty magnet built into the case. The magnet definitely put the Storm into sleeper mode.

The beautiful Vaja is now on its way to its new home in GA.
    04-06-09 11:42 PM
    Yes I had to send mine back before replacement as well. As you say, it's just waiting for it (again). Let's hope replacements go to the top of the pile
    04-07-09 10:19 AM
    I received my updated case a few days ago (due to magnet) and have new problems unfortunately. The magnet is now definitely OK as others have commented. But the new case binds and does not close properly. The front flap doesn't clip all the way over the top of the phone. It doesn't even lie flat w/o the phone in the case (my orig case does). It looks like the gap around the front flap is non-existent and binds up because it contacts the main part of the case. Also, you can distinctly see that the hinge on my new case is a tiny bit shorter, which also contributes to the flap binding on the main part of the case.

I hope this is isolated. They asked for detailed pictures showing the problem; obliged (pictures easily show differences I mentioned) and now waiting to hear back. Waaaaah.

[EDIT] - And I've now heard back...they easily agreed once seeing the pictures. #3 is now in the works. Haha.
    Last edited by keeena; 04-08-09 at 04:59 PM. Reason: To make edits
    04-08-09 10:41 AM
    nasty.....
    04-08-09 09:13 PM
    Received my case last week, Orange with white stripe. so far I love it
    04-08-09 10:04 PM
    I received my updated case a few days ago (due to magnet) and have new problems unfortunately. The magnet is now definitely OK as others have commented. But the new case binds and does not close properly. The front flap doesn't clip all the way over the top of the phone. It doesn't even lie flat w/o the phone in the case (my orig case does). It looks like the gap around the front flap is non-existent and binds up because it contacts the main part of the case. Also, you can distinctly see that the hinge on my new case is a tiny bit shorter, which also contributes to the flap binding on the main part of the case.

I hope this is isolated. They asked for detailed pictures showing the problem; obliged (pictures easily show differences I mentioned) and now waiting to hear back. Waaaaah.

[EDIT] - And I've now heard back...they easily agreed once seeing the pictures. #3 is now in the works. Haha.
    lol. could you post the pics here too?
    04-08-09 10:18 PM
    I just got my case yesterday, but I've been having problems with it. The case squeezes so tight that my screen doesn't register clicks! I've put the storm in the case and taken it out about 20 times and this has caused the leather on the inside of the case to be visibly damaged by those nubs at the bottom of the battery door! I have to pull the side bolsters away from the phone to get it to click.

I haven't seen anyone else having a problem as bad as mine. It seems like my case was made too tight. Should I email Vaja, and is the scarring on the inside of the case normal?
    04-10-09 11:54 AM
    Can anyone help me?
    04-10-09 03:11 PM
    I just got my case yesterday, but I've been having problems with it. The case squeezes so tight that my screen doesn't register clicks! I've put the storm in the case and taken it out about 20 times and this has caused the leather on the inside of the case to be visibly damaged by those nubs at the bottom of the battery door! I have to pull the side bolsters away from the phone to get it to click.
    IMO The phone making *indentation* rows on the inside are normal; both of mine did the same thing after just a few times. Mine does have some very slight scuffing of the leather. Just a function of how form-fitting the case is. But if actually is cutting the leather...obviously that's a problem. BTW - i'd guess those nubs are there to hold the phone up a bit so the speaker can be heard if phone is on a table. I personally don't consider this a major thing...I'd prob just file the nubbies down.

As far as unable to click...harder to say. Because they are hand made, some variances* possible. But it has also been shown that the Storms have manufacturing variances too...some folks have had to adjust those torx screws or add padding to fix the click. So its possible your particular phone is behaving worse than normal out of the box and the Vaja case just makes it more apparent. Up to you if you want to contact them. If you know anybody else with a storm, try theirs in your case and see what it does.

You could try adjusting those torx screws per guidelines in other threads to see if it helps. I thought about tweaking mine for the heck of it (although mine clicks fine both in/out of the case...i don't know if there is a "better", ya know?).

*I don't think Vaja has had to deal w/ a phone like this in the past unfortunately; they may get more complaints on the storm's case b/c the storm's screen is so damn picky. Not necessarily their fault. I'd keep that in mind when communicating with them. They have been very helpful with me and I'm being patient w/ them.
    Last edited by keeena; 04-10-09 at 03:58 PM.
    04-10-09 03:44 PM
    IMO The phone making *indentation* rows on the inside are normal; both of mine did the same thing after just a few times. Mine does have some very slight scuffing of the leather. Just a function of how form-fitting the case is. But if actually is cutting the leather...obviously that's a problem. BTW - i'd guess those nubs are there to hold the phone up a bit so the speaker can be heard if phone is on a table. I personally don't consider this a major thing...I'd prob just file the nubbies down.

As far as unable to click...harder to say. Because they are hand made, some variances* possible. But it has also been shown that the Storms have manufacturing variances too...some folks have had to adjust those torx screws or add padding to fix the click. So its possible your particular phone is behaving worse than normal out of the box and the Vaja case just makes it more apparent. Up to you if you want to contact them. If you know anybody else with a storm, try theirs in your case and see what it does.

You could try adjusting those torx screws per guidelines in other threads to see if it helps. I thought about tweaking mine for the heck of it (although mine clicks fine both in/out of the case...i don't know if there is a "better", ya know?).

*I don't think Vaja has had to deal w/ a phone like this in the past unfortunately; they may get more complaints on the storm's case b/c the storm's screen is so damn picky. Not necessarily their fault. I'd keep that in mind when communicating with them. They have been very helpful with me and I'm being patient w/ them.
    Thanks for the response. I know one other person with a Storm, so I'll try theirs before I email them. Anyways, customer service probably won't be working this weekend.

As for the indentations, one of them looks like a plain line, but the second one has a million tiny cracks on the path of the line! I'm pretty sure that after a long period of use the leather will split there.

I already have a piece of paper under the screen to fix the click issue and plan on doing the torx fix later. The screen clicks just fine in the case, but the phone won't register them!! The second I pull the bolsters away just a bit, it registers them just fine. However, after a minute the bolsters squeeze again and clicks stop registering.

Seems I got a rare case not made quite properly. As from previous posts with the weak sleeper magnate, I'm sure they'll send me a new one.
    04-10-09 04:31 PM
    I already have a piece of paper under the screen to fix the click issue
    That piece of paper could be increasing the depth of your Storm, creating a too tight situation.
    04-10-09 07:48 PM
    That piece of paper could be increasing the depth of your Storm, creating a too tight situation.
    That's good thinking! I took the paper out and it seemed to fix it, but still every once in a while the first couple clicks don't register. For example, I click once and nothing happens, but I click again right after that and it works! Sometimes it takes 3 clicks.

I don't think this is a lag or hardware issue, as the second I open the case the screen lights right up - proving to me that the OS isn't lagging, and the blue highlight follows my finger everywhere.

It's much better now, but for a $120 case I'll still write back.

EDIT: Just now I opened it and it took about 30 clicks before it registered. I had a text list open and the phone scrolled perfectly fine but no clicks registered!! I guess that rules out everything else...

EDIT2: Turns out this was ENTIRELY a fluke. Today I had to pull the bolsters every time I tried using it. So, if you end up having a problem like me, the paper has no effect!
    Last edited by Bender101; 04-11-09 at 11:04 PM.
    04-10-09 08:50 PM
    They signed for receiving my returned case yesterday, but no word from them yet....

They emailed me yesterday that my replacement case will be ready next week....
    Last edited by walkingrock; 04-17-09 at 11:30 AM. Reason: update
    04-10-09 10:56 PM
    Alright, if I were you(and if I had a Storm), I'd try the Torx Screw Fix:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsktball12tw View Post
    How do you go about fixing the torx screws?

Go to your local hardware store and buy a Torx T6 screwdriver. It shouldn't cost more than five bucks, tops.

Remove the back cover of your Storm, and you'll notice two silver screws - one on either side of your device. One of them is likely covered with a red and white sticker, which changed color if it gets wet (this is how they tell if your phone took a swim!).

CAREFULLY remove the sticker using your fingernail and/or tweezers. Best solution is to use your fingernail to gently pry up one part, then tweezers to pull the whole thing off. (I placed mine on a piece of plastic so I could reapply it later, if I choose)

Once your screws(there are two of them, only one covered by the sticker) are uncovered, use the Torx screwdriver to unscrew them about 1/4-1/2 turn to 1 full turn each, depending on how tight they are.

Now, replace your battery cover and see if the screen click is more to your liking. Adjust the screws again as you see fit.
    That's another member's post in case you d/k the specifics of that fix. Many owners have found it to fix the touch/click screen problem some of the Storms have and it won't increase the depth of your Storm's body.
    04-11-09 11:05 AM
    Alright, if I were you(and if I had a Storm), I'd try the Torx Screw Fix:

That's another member's post in case you d/k the specifics of that fix. Many owners have found it to fix the touch/click screen problem some of the Storms have and it won't increase the depth of your Storm's body.
    I updated my other post so no one will be confused by it, but it somehow seems the paper had no effect!! The day I removed it - it seemed like it really did help with my problem. However, today I had to push the bolsters away every time I wanted to use my phone, and the paper wasn't in! I have no idea why it worked so well when I removed it.

I have a friend who works at RIM, and he said he can do the torx fix for me, so I won't have to go pay for a screwdriver I'll never use again. It seems like the paper really had no effect on how often it registered though.

Today the problem is horrible, not one click will register without my pushing the bolsters forcibly away. I'm very sure the case was made too tight now.
    04-11-09 11:08 PM
    update my replacement has shipped. will post when arrives if magnet issue is fixed or not.
    new case way better. magnet 3 time thicker and WAY more powerful, and it works!

build quality on replacement much better. cut-outs fit better. very good service from vaja would do business with them again
    04-12-09 12:46 PM
    I updated my other post so no one will be confused by it, but it somehow seems the paper had no effect!! The day I removed it - it seemed like it really did help with my problem. However, today I had to push the bolsters away every time I wanted to use my phone, and the paper wasn't in! I have no idea why it worked so well when I removed it.

I have a friend who works at RIM, and he said he can do the torx fix for me, so I won't have to go pay for a screwdriver I'll never use again. It seems like the paper really had no effect on how often it registered though.

Today the problem is horrible, not one click will register without my pushing the bolsters forcibly away. I'm very sure the case was made too tight now.
    okay here is your problem and an EASY fix. The left sided button (camera) has no-cut out but a little push through soft leather button. what is happening is that the case is exerting pressure on this button and when that happens your screen won't recognize clicks. the easiest way to fix this is to take a blunt metal object like a key and firmly press on the inside of the case where is button is. do this for a minute or so to loosen up this area and make it "pooch" outwards. this should fix your problem. it fixed it for me on both my original SP and my replacement. obviously you will have to do this with the phone out of the case .
    04-12-09 12:49 PM
    Case looks really nice and I just went to their website and saw how much it was and wow, it's a lil bit pricey for a BB case. I would rather get a small LV pouch for almost the same amount than to buy one of the Vaja cases... BUT, who knows, I am a shopaholic and I love swarovsky crystals so I might just be crazy enough to get me one of these case...
    04-12-09 02:25 PM
    okay here is your problem and an EASY fix. The left sided button (camera) has no-cut out but a little push through soft leather button. what is happening is that the case is exerting pressure on this button and when that happens your screen won't recognize clicks. the easiest way to fix this is to take a blunt metal object like a key and firmly press on the inside of the case where is button is. do this for a minute or so to loosen up this area and make it "pooch" outwards. this should fix your problem. it fixed it for me on both my original SP and my replacement. obviously you will have to do this with the phone out of the case .
    I checked and I don't see it possible for me to do that without seriously damaging the leather in that area. The key was made properly, it does bulge outwards. I think it was made with too much padding, or whatever it was filled with. For $120 I don't want to fix something like that myself!

What happened to your case when you did that?
    04-13-09 11:20 PM
    I checked and I don't see it possible for me to do that without seriously damaging the leather in that area. The key was made properly, it does bulge outwards. I think it was made with too much padding, or whatever it was filled with. For $120 I don't want to fix something like that myself!

What happened to your case when you did that?
    no damage it just loosened up the area so that there is no pressure exerted on the button. it is a really simple thing to do and should fix your problem. do it.
    04-14-09 05:38 PM
    no damage it just loosened up the area so that there is no pressure exerted on the button. it is a really simple thing to do and should fix your problem. do it.
    The lady from Vaja told me to gently push the bolsters away using my thumbs, but your fix seemed to work even better! I just used my thumb and pushed where the padded key is - and now the screen clicks!

My old problem from day one still exists though. When I got it, I put on and removed the case several times to loosen it up. I reported that it seemed to be rippling the leather, rather than just putting tracks in it. Now colour is visibly missing from the track. It looks as if someone took a white pencil and drew a line on my case! It's caused by the nubs on the back of the phone, which I have no power to move. It's very small right now, but since it formed after this short period of time I think it will continue growing.

I know other people said having depressions is normal - but having the leather lose it's colour after this long?! I only just got the thing last Thursday!!!! Has anyone else had this problem? I'm complaining a lot - but I just got the thing and first my screen couldn't click - and now it seems like my case is already deteriorating from fitting too tight! I love the feel and look though...

EDIT: AW CRAP! After a whole day of the screen working after hours of me molding the case with my thumbs - the screen stopped responding to clicks again!!!! ARGGGHHH.
    Last edited by Bender101; 04-14-09 at 08:53 PM.
    04-14-09 07:41 PM
    Bender - Due to your problems I have a feeling that your case is on the "thicker" side. I am seeing wear marks on my case from the nubbies (even some very fine cracking of the leather, as you put it), but yours seems to be wearing very fast. Again, i think the nubbies on the phone are pointless and could easily be shaved down.

Should you have to mod your phone to work w/ a $100 case? Your call. I'd keep in mind that Vaja has an excellent rep for a great product. Storm is a touchy device (no pun) and those small fit differences are going to be very obvious due to our phone. To that end I've been contemplating sending them a note so they are aware of the potential significance of issues resulting from this particular phone.

My 3rd one is already in the mail; they were very quick to turn this one around.
    04-15-09 10:06 PM
266 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD