12-02-09 03:52 PM
59 123
tools
    What the ****, if anybody gonna make this throw us a bone

I'll start with how I thought of it. To clean my screen I would put the phone on top of the case so that the magnet would kick in and lock the screen up. I also noticed that all the buttons would lock as well. But if I didn't put the phone in the right spot the magnet would not work.

Now my idea: build a magnet on a slider on the back of a OtterBox style case. This way you get all the benefits of a holdster but in a rugged case, or just a skin. So slide it up a cm and your screen and all the buttons locked.

Slide it back down and you can silence a call or answer it etc.

Now isn't that a good idea?

As I said, I expect a reward if anybody builds this on the honour system but mostly I wod like to see it built

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 08:16 PM
    Hmmm interesting.......
    11-30-09 08:23 PM
    What the ****, if anybody gonna make this throw us a bone

I'll start with how I thought of it. To clean my screen I would put the phone on top of the case so that the magnet would kick in and lock the screen up. I also noticed that all the buttons would lock as well. But if I didn't put the phone in the right spot the magnet would not work.

Now my idea: build a magnet on a slider on the back of a OtterBox style case. This way you get all the benefits of a holdster but in a rugged case, or just a skin. So slide it up a cm and your screen and all the buttons locked.

Slide it back down and you can silence a call or answer it etc.

Now isn't that a good idea?

As I said, I expect a reward if anybody builds this on the honour system but mostly I wod like to see it built

Not trying to rain on your parade... however can't I just press the lock button?
    11-30-09 08:24 PM
    Lmao these threads r hilarious some times ...lol....chocolate
    :-))

11-30-09 08:26 PM
    Not trying to rain on your parade... however can't I just press the lock button?
    Yes you can but that doesn't lock the screen, it makes it unusable but it still clicks and lights up. Also you could easily unlock it by mistake. With the magnet it's locked solid, you can't click it and none of the buttons work.

11-30-09 08:28 PM
    Think battery save as well.

11-30-09 08:29 PM
    Hmmm that is a good idea... I think I will experiment with that and let you know what I find
    11-30-09 08:34 PM
    more parts to break....
    11-30-09 08:36 PM
    Ha, I demand a retraction of the "epic fail" comments

11-30-09 08:37 PM
    more parts to break....
    R you serious? Have you seen the size of the magnet needed? It's very thin.

11-30-09 08:40 PM
    nope...this would require software also for it to work from what you are describing

R you serious? Have you seen the size of the magnet needed? It's very thin.

its not the magnet, its the sliding mechinism that would be made of plastic that i would be more worried about
    11-30-09 08:40 PM
    nope...this would require software also for it to work from what you are describing
    The software is already in all blackberrys.

11-30-09 08:42 PM
    It makes sense to me. The phone already handles the leather sleeve (what I use) with the magnet so I don't see why it couldn't work for what you're describing.
    11-30-09 08:46 PM
    The software is already in all blackberrys.

some software exist for it yes, but i dont think they are advanced enough for what you are thinking of doing. Maybe you are just thinking the auto answer/end call feature. i thought you were looking to do more
    11-30-09 08:53 PM
    some software exist for it yes, but i dont think they are advanced enough for what you are thinking of doing. Maybe you are just thinking the auto answer/end call feature. i thought you were looking to do more
    Main advantage is to lock the phone solid, second is the battery saving, third to take advantage of all the features that a magnet holdster has to offer and forth to eliminate accidental calls plus other presses completely.
    Don't you think that's enough

11-30-09 08:59 PM
    Ok, off to bed now, had to do an urgent delivery after working hours, drove from Belfast to Gweedore and back. Google it

11-30-09 09:02 PM
    6.5 hours of solid driving mostly on dodgy donegal roads, narrow, bumpy, potholes and no white lines

11-30-09 09:05 PM
    I just filed a patent
    11-30-09 09:10 PM
    That's actually a very clever idea. Main reason why I like holsters is because of the magnet. This would be a great way to offer the advantages of a magnetic holster to body armour cases. Good thinking. The main problem I can think of would be the size of the switch; it would have to be pretty hefty to not only house a big enough magnet, but also to slide enough to lock the phone.

11-30-09 09:39 PM
    I just filed a patent
    That...... is hilarious. Its an "ok" idea at best. I dont think there would be a market for that if it was made IMO. You said that the screen clicks when your phone is locked??? Mine doesnt, the keys click, the screen doesnt... I might let someone pay me to use this on my phone
    11-30-09 09:42 PM
    really if you just want to enter standby and such there are apps out there that will do this on 'dim' and such. No need for built in switches for bulky cases
    11-30-09 09:51 PM
    I just bought some 1.5mm thick NdFeB magnets. I am going to mod my silicone case and see if it will work. If it will, Its all yours. and btw, its not gonna be bulky lol. I could get even thinner magnets, so you dont even notice.
    11-30-09 09:56 PM
    I think I can make this work. I haven't quite thought of how I will make the switch, but I will figure something out... My plan is to leave it the same thickness as the case is now, and just carve into the silicone, or maybe even cut the silicone out where the magnet needs to be. the magnets I bought, have a pulling force of 2.88lbs each. They are 6.5mm in diameter, and 1.5mm thick.

I just thought of how to make the switch. Bingo! I will post pics when it is done.
    11-30-09 10:01 PM
    I didn't make this post but I do get that bug where my screen would click and come on saying its locked when I pressed the button and it goes off and hardens every so in so messing with it trying to get it it does it.
    11-30-09 10:41 PM
    That...... is hilarious. Its an "ok" idea at best. I dont think there would be a market for that if it was made IMO. You said that the screen clicks when your phone is locked??? Mine doesnt, the keys click, the screen doesnt... I might let someone pay me to use this on my phone
    I don't know about your storm 2 but on mine the call, menu, back and end call buttons are part of the acreen, press any of these and the screen comes alive and clicks.

12-01-09 03:43 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD