The case that came with my Sprint 9650 is a very decent nice looking case, plus it takes advantage of the sleep mode or whatever it is called. I am confused about a few things tho and I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me.

I took a metal screw driver and there is magnetic reaction on the inside of the outside of the case.(Front, or side oposite belt clip) And I'm reading posts where people are sliding there blackberry's in with SCREEN FACING OUT. That would mean the screen is facing right at the magnet, actually it is right against the magnet. This concerns me, but maybe you all know something about blackberry's design that I don't, but usually I would never want a display anywhere near a magnet.

Is this the proper way to use the case... sliding it in face out? And do the blackberries have some type of protection over the screen to protect against the magnet?

Sorry for the questions but I just want to know absolutely for sure about this before I do this. I have searched and searched, read thru all my manuals and nowhere is it explained or described. Plus I'm considering some other cases, preferably ones that aren't as tight as this OEM one.

Please just let me know.

Thanks

**EDIT: Also if anyone has any recommendations for BB Branded leather cases or any cases, please let me know. This one is just too tight.
    08-23-10 11:15 AM
    Uhhh do you really think that RIM would include the magnet if it would harm your phone?
    08-23-10 11:22 AM
    The magnet being in that spot signals your phone to enter standby mode... If you slide it in the other way, it is still on and accepts keystrokes.

Look at an Otterbox for a case, the magnet goes right up against the screen.
    08-23-10 11:39 AM
    You can use it either way, face in or face out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-10 01:26 PM
    Isn't there a case covering between the magnet and the screen? It is not a raw metal or ceramic piece touching the screen?

As for the screen, I guess in the old days magnets could affect crt screens but I am not sure about lcd's. I just used my otterbox holster's exposed magnet against my lcd computer monitor and there was no affect. I then tried on my bold and it also seemed to have no display/distortion issues if that is the concern. Clearly, you do not want to scratch the screen but magnets do not appear to be an issue.
    08-23-10 01:45 PM
    Isn't there a case covering between the magnet and the screen? It is not a raw metal or ceramic piece touching the screen?

As for the screen, I guess in the old days magnets could affect crt screens but I am not sure about lcd's. I just used my otterbox holster's exposed magnet against my lcd computer monitor and there was no affect. I then tried on my bold and it also seemed to have no display/distortion issues if that is the concern. Clearly, you do not want to scratch the screen but magnets do not appear to be an issue.
    That is what I was thinking. Not sure if magnets affect LCD's like they did the old TV's. Not willing to test it out either lol.

This is decently interesting.
    Do magnets also affect LCD HD televisions like they do CRT TVs? - Yahoo! Answers
    08-23-10 01:51 PM
    Wow... thanks for all the help and replies everyone. I'm just new to the magnet against a screen thing and couldn't find a clear answer anywhere. On my OEM case when I slide it in with monitor facing belt clip...about half way down it goes off. And after reading your posts I did some more feeling around in the case and it clearly has the groove for the trackpad going up the center on the front and back of the case, so I'm thinking you could put it in either way.(At least on this case)

Now I'm curious about putting it in monitor first. Might try it. You all have given me the confidence i needed.

Just really like this phone and don't want to hurt it.

Anyone know of a case like this for the 6850 that isn't so d*mn tight?
    08-23-10 04:14 PM
    The case I brought from VZW is good, bb is facing toward the inside. I just checked my magent which is at the bottom. and it is no way close to the screen.
    08-23-10 05:18 PM
    You can use it either way, face in or face out.

Agreed. Works either way for me.

Also, magnets don't affects LCD, only older CRT screens. At least they won't permanently damage the screen.

08-23-10 05:21 PM
    The case I brought from VZW is good, bb is facing toward the inside. I just checked my magent which is at the bottom. and it is no way close to the screen.
    I went to my Local Verizon store and didn't see anything, but it was very busy, and I was in a hurry. Was it a "generic" for any device case or was it a bold specific case? By any chance do you have a part# or model number off the case or packaging? Or a link to a picture of it?

Thanks for letting me know tho.
    08-23-10 10:13 PM
    I went to my Local Verizon store and didn't see anything, but it was very busy, and I was in a hurry. Was it a "generic" for any device case or was it a bold specific case? By any chance do you have a part# or model number off the case or packaging? Or a link to a picture of it?

Thanks for letting me know tho.
    Sorry I don't have a part number. It's on verizonwireless site called "shell/holster combo".
    08-24-10 06:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD