Hey all - so I have a relatively-new Bold 9700, which of course comes with the new micro-USB standard port, which means that all of the mini-USB adapters and cables that I have conveniently located everywhere don't work with it!

So... I ordered a chinese micro-USB cable from Ebay... and it doesn't work. No sign of charging, BlackBerry tools and Windows don't recognize that it's plugged in.

Do I have a bad cable, or is there something special about the 9700 that I don't know about?

Thanks for any input.
    03-03-10 11:31 AM
    i bought a few miniusb->microusb adapters, and they do not work on a computer other than for charging.

however, i also have a 12v usb charger for the car. i plugged the OEM cable into it and it would not charge the phone, but the mini-micro adapters worked fine for charging there.. so there must be some sort of difference..
    03-03-10 11:34 AM
    Well, BB (and others) seem to have crippled their devices so they wont charge when simply connected to a USB port (or fake-USB power source). They require a driver to be installed or the cable to be hacked with a resistor to simulate the data pin (pin x?) being pulled to ground/power, I forget which. That may explain why your car adapter doesn't work with the OEM cable and the adapters do - maybe the adapters have the resistor built in? I dunno.

But that doesn't seem to be my issue. This cable shows no signs of life at all.

Anybody else have a no-name cable that works?
    03-03-10 11:44 AM
    I have a "no name" USB cable and it works fine with my 9700 and laptop PC. I can access the data on the card in my BB and it also charges the BB.
    03-03-10 04:53 PM
    Thanks for the reply!
    03-03-10 05:04 PM