Hi, I bought a non-OEM charger (it was actually for the V9 RAZR) since it was cheaper ($3) but it charges my BB MUCH MUCH slower. Now I looked on the output of the non-OEM charger and it says 0.6A vs. the BB original of 700mA.

Is this really enough to make a difference in charging speed by 3-4 hours? Should I spend the extra money on an OEM one?
    02-28-09 03:22 PM
    Non OEM isn't as much a problem as the fact that the cable you're using isn't made for the phone. You could possibly hurt the battery overall. I'd either go OEM or use a charger specifically made for the 8900/95xx.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 03:45 PM
    You can easily get a Non OEM made FOR the blackberry for like $4 on ebay. Do yourself and your device a favor and spend a couple bucks.
    02-28-09 03:54 PM
    Shouldn't all microUSB be the same?
    02-28-09 04:09 PM
    Uhm, didn't you answer this question yourself when you posted the differences between .6A and 700mA
    02-28-09 04:11 PM
    Uhm, didn't you answer this question yourself when you posted the differences between .6A and 700mA
    Well heres the thing, when I had my 8310, I used a moto charger and even a charger from a bluetooth GPS and it worked just fine on my 8310. Furthermore, a USB port only has 100mA, but it still charges the 8900 fine, so I'd like to understand more about why this charger doesn't work properly.
    02-28-09 04:22 PM
    Just look at the charger you have and check the Voltage first. If the Voltage on that charger is 5 V DC (which it should be since it is a microUSB charger) then you are fine there. The difference between .6A (600 mA) and 700 mA is a 100 mA difference. In this case that is 15% less power output from that charger. So I think you can expect it to take at least 30 minutes longer to charger. Since you are experiencing and even longer charge time, that would make me think that charger is not so great and actually puts out less than 600mA during the charge cycle. 600mA is probably its peak output but it can not sustain that during the entire time it is charging the device. The lower the current output, the longer it is going to take to charger your battery.
    02-28-09 05:16 PM
    Just look at the charger you have and check the Voltage first. If the Voltage on that charger is 5 V DC (which it should be since it is a microUSB charger) then you are fine there. The difference between .6A (600 mA) and 700 mA is a 100 mA difference. In this case that is 15% less power output from that charger. So I think you can expect it to take at least 30 minutes longer to charger. Since you are experiencing and even longer charge time, that would make me think that charger is not so great and actually puts out less than 600mA during the charge cycle. 600mA is probably its peak output but it can not sustain that during the entire time it is charging the device. The lower the current output, the longer it is going to take to charger your battery.
    Thanks for the great info. The charger is 5V DC, my BB's battery level reading seems to be weird now, only showing in 5% intervals, maybe I'm just being paranoid that I screwed up my battery, is everyone else's like that?
    02-28-09 05:24 PM
    aristile is right. Most BlackBerry chargers put out 5 Volts sat 0.5 Amps (500mA). The 8900 charger delivers 0.7 Amps (700mA). This is quite a big difference (28%, in fact).

A standard USB port delivers 0.5 Amps (500mmA) at 5 Volts so you realy should use the Genuine BlackBerry charger wherever possible for optimal fast charging.

Using a charger that delivers less current may simply result in a slower charge rate or it may (depending on the desigh on the charger) deliver a lower voltage that will not charge the phone at all.

Motorola charger used to work fine with BlackBerrys but given the 8900 charger's increased power output this may no longer be true.
    02-28-09 05:34 PM
    Thanks guys, I think I'll just use my BB charger, I just like having an extra one for work and home... I hate having it plugged into my computer to charge, don't know why, just a preference.
    02-28-09 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD