Is that normal? I've drained the battery a few times and it only charges to 95%...anyway i can get it up to 100%?
    10-14-09 11:25 PM
    Usually thats just an estimate on the battery gauge so you're probably ok, but maybe charge it with the phone off?
    10-14-09 11:27 PM
    It takes more time to get to 100%, the closer to 100%, the speed of charging is slowed down. Give it some more time. Have you ever tried waiting? And don't drain the battery, it'll damage the battery.
    10-15-09 12:16 AM
    Any friends that have a 8900? If so ask them to let them use their battery and see if this still happens, if so there is something wrong with your phone. I have never had that issue with any of my BB's.
    10-15-09 12:38 AM
    It takes more time to get to 100%, the closer to 100%, the speed of charging is slowed down. Give it some more time. Have you ever tried waiting? And don't drain the battery, it'll damage the battery.
    I've never heard letting the battery drain will harm it. I know with the G1 it was advised to drain it and charge it from a complete dead battery.
    10-15-09 12:40 AM
    I've never heard letting the battery drain will harm it. I know with the G1 it was advised to drain it and charge it from a complete dead battery.

You should never let your battery drain down. BB's use a Li-Ion battery & draining it will shorten your battery life. You should charge your battery as frequently as possible to extend its life.

There are numerous threads on this topic - do a quick search & I'm positive that you'll find one. Either way charge your battery as much as possible - I never let my battery get below 40% if I can help it. It gets charged every night regardless of remaining battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-09 01:27 AM
    Now you've heard. Your choice. As advised before, do a thorough search and read more.
    10-15-09 01:43 AM
    Actually despite what many have stated, you should let your battery completely drain at least once after 30-35 continous charges. Otherwise the battery gauges don't work correctly.

You can google it if you don't believe me. I pulled this from Nikon's site regarding lithium-ion batteries.

"Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem."

And I got this from another site regarding the lithium-ion batteries in PDA's/phones, "Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently discharged fully and recharged ("deep-cycled"), but this may be necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any electronic charge monitor (e.g. a battery meter)."

So in all essence, do not let your battery drain completely all the time, but instead normally charge it whenever you see it dropping. And at least once a month or maybe longer let it discharge close to fully and recharge again. They recommend 30-35 continuous charges but that is upto you.
    10-15-09 04:50 AM
    Actually despite what many have stated, you should let your battery completely drain at least once after 30-35 continous charges. Otherwise the battery gauges don't work correctly.

You can google it if you don't believe me. I pulled this from Nikon's site regarding lithium-ion batteries.

"Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem."

And I got this from another site regarding the lithium-ion batteries in PDA's/phones, "Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently discharged fully and recharged ("deep-cycled"), but this may be necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any electronic charge monitor (e.g. a battery meter)."

So in all essence, do not let your battery drain completely all the time, but instead normally charge it whenever you see it dropping. And at least once a month or maybe longer let it discharge close to fully and recharge again. They recommend 30-35 continuous charges but that is upto you.
    I know li-ion batteries for a laptop do have the battery gauges but I do not believe the li-ion batteries for the cell phones have them. So I do not think this applies to the batteries in your device.
    10-15-09 09:20 AM

You're way off.

I know because I talk to the manufacturers sometimes in my job, and the engineers tell me the straight goods.

Draining the battery period will damage it. In fact, you don't have to completely damage it, just get it below the 3V threshold.

The gauge you talk about is true, it floats. The easiest way to reset it is a simple battery pull though, once it is disconnected from the circuit it resets. There is absolutely no need to ever drain it and does in fact damage it more quickly then simple atrophy already does.
    10-15-09 09:38 AM
    I know li-ion batteries for a laptop do have the battery gauges but I do not believe the li-ion batteries for the cell phones have them. So I do not think this applies to the batteries in your device.
    Ya, not sure about the BB specific batteries, but Li-On gauges overall are flaky. But as I say, a battery pull breaks the circuit in this case and resets it. That was a major design consideration for one of our products that caused us to forego the battery and use a super cap.
    10-15-09 09:40 AM
    Yea, I know those damn batter gauges on Laptop batteries are much more trouble and cause more problems than anything.
    10-15-09 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD