Hello all,

I'm a new BlackBerry user (and a new CrackBerry user!) and probably could have done a search, but am hearing different schools of thought on the use of Motorola chargers.

The BB charger output is 5VDC, .7A & the Motorola chargers are also 5VDC, but .5A. I've heard talk of them "frying" the BB battery, but if the Motorola charger has slightly less output, wouldn't the only ramification be slower charging?

Seems all the USB cables work fine from phone to phone, so hoping some of the AC chargers will work as well! Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe
    03-26-09 06:58 PM
    I've not had a problem using a Motorola charger with my 8120. I've got the charger than came with the BB at home plugged in behind my desk and a Motorola charger (from a K1 I believe) that I leave at work to charge it whilst there. So far so good - no problems and no fried battery.
    03-26-09 07:43 PM
    i haven't fried my battery using a motorola charger, but then again, i only charge it using a non-blackberry charger on a need-to basis. i've noticed the battery drains faster when i don't use my blackberry charger. but if you're using a motorola charger as a perk-me-up for your batter till you can get home, then you should be fine
    03-27-09 12:05 AM
    I have been using a motorola car charger with my BB for about a month now (as long as I have had the phone). There is a lot of debate on whether or not the charger will mess up the battery, or phone. I researched it and never found any definite answers . I asked my boss who is an Electrical engineer, and a master electrician (as well as being obsessed with getting titles) and he assured me that the charger could not mess up the phone or battery. Said the motorola would actually be a little better for the battery due to the fact that it would charge it a little slower.
    03-27-09 12:28 AM
    I have been using a motorola car charger with my BB for about a month now (as long as I have had the phone). There is a lot of debate on whether or not the charger will mess up the battery, or phone. I researched it and never found any definite answers . I asked my boss who is an Electrical engineer, and a master electrician (as well as being obsessed with getting titles) and he assured me that the charger could not mess up the phone or battery. Said the motorola would actually be a little better for the battery due to the fact that it would charge it a little slower.
    Kinda' what I figured thanks. Just seemed to me that it would be a slightly slower charge due to the lower amperage, but I have yet to get a straight answer as to why that would be back. Maybe an e-mail directly to BlackBerry would help!
    03-27-09 11:49 AM
    i haven't fried my battery using a motorola charger, but then again, i only charge it using a non-blackberry charger on a need-to basis. i've noticed the battery drains faster when i don't use my blackberry charger. but if you're using a motorola charger as a perk-me-up for your batter till you can get home, then you should be fine

same here. I was on a road trip a couple of weeks back and realized I'd forgotten my wall charger, so I tried plugging my Pearl into a Motorola car charger left over from my old phone. It charged fine, but the battery seemed to drain faster. luckily my friend has a bb too so I borrowed her wall charger when I got there. no issues with my battery to date.
    03-27-09 12:00 PM
    i use a razor charger at Work the BB charger at home and a psp charger in the car and ive had my phone for about a month and a half and its fine. And my boss has a curve and he uses the same razor charger at Work to. And our phones or fine my battery last about a day ether way I go so its realy no different. And my batterys fine

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 06:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD