I want to be able to charge my BB from my computer at work however when I plug it in via
    the USB cable it starts asking to install drivers and then all **** breaks loose and
    the computer freezes up.

Can I cut the "data" wires in the USB cable to that it only gets power to charge the battery?
    Looking at the micro us side with the wide base up, there are 5 wires/contacts.
    There is also the outer metal sleeve.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Steve

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 01:18 PM
    your computer freezes? I think you have a larger issue, there is something seriously wrong with the PC
    08-15-09 01:19 PM

Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can buy factory made USB power only cables.

All **** breaking loose... Windows Vista would be my guess.
    08-15-09 01:35 PM
    You don't need to install drivers to charge your Blackberry using the USB cable. The drivers are for Desktop Manager.
    08-15-09 01:38 PM
    your computer freezes? I think you have a larger issue, there is something seriously wrong with the PC

Thanks for the help. The computer is run by our company so I don't have any control over that. What I am really looking for is someone who could tell me which wires to cut in the USB cable to allow only power to my BB. This way the computer wouldn't try to install software.

Do you know which wires to cut to do this?

Steve
    Last edited by nzdreamer55; 08-15-09 at 03:18 PM.
    08-15-09 03:13 PM
    [color=green]You can buy factory made USB power only cables.

This would be great. Do you know of a source. I tried an internet search an all I can find is the USB to micro usb connector cables for sale.

Steve
    08-15-09 03:18 PM
    This may sound like a stupid answer, but why not just use your standard charger. If your at work, then stick your wall charger in and charge away. Or just buy a spare one, which would be cheaper than a custom USB charger, and save yourself some trouble.
    08-15-09 03:25 PM
    USB Power Supply Cable Charger Adapter for Nintendo Dsi on eBay.ca (item 360178864318 end time 15-Aug-09 17:35:41 EDT)

Use this very handy USB Charger Cable to recharge your DSi's battery from any computer's USB port. Great adapter for when you're near a computer but not a wall outlet. Can also be used to adapt the DSi for use with a car charger that has a USB outlet. ...
    One of many similar products, they are intended for use with Nintendo games, but the USB standard insures compatibility.
    08-15-09 03:26 PM
    USB Power Supply Cable Charger Adapter for Nintendo Dsi on eBay.ca (item 360178864318 end time 15-Aug-09 17:35:41 EDT)

One of many similar products, they are intended for use with Nintendo games, but the USB standard insures compatibility.
    Unfortunately, the Nintendo DSi does not use a standard mini usb connector. The power adapter will not fit in the BB mini usb port.
    08-15-09 03:36 PM
    This may sound like a stupid answer, but why not just use your standard charger. If your at work, then stick your wall charger in and charge away. Or just buy a spare one, which would be cheaper than a custom USB charger, and save yourself some trouble.
    That would be the logical choice, but no outlets are easly gotten to. Also I have like 5 of these cables. Don't ask me why.

I just opened up the cable and cut the green and white data wires. Works great! Phone charges and no peskey need to have the computer ask to install software.

Steve
    08-15-09 03:38 PM
    Thanks for all the help. I figured out that if you cut the green and white wires it solves the problem I was having.
    08-15-09 03:41 PM
    Thanks for all the help. I figured out that if you cut the green and white wires it solves the problem I was having.
    Does that correspond to pin 2 and 3 in the diagram on the left in post #3?
    08-15-09 03:46 PM
    I actually use my Macintosh as a secondary, "just in case" charger for my Storm. It's pretty quick/easy when you've got the Mass Storage enabled. The only downside is that you'd better light a Sanataria candle that you don't have to access your Media Card for any urgent reason. Otherwise you have to eject, unplug and wait a sec or two for the card to get scanned. But then again, how often do you ever have to access Media at gunpoint?

I also toss the "computer cable" as i call it, in my messenger bag when I leave for school and use it to plug into the winblows computer they make us teachers use... in case I need to "touch up" the battery. When I plug it in, the peecee says "uh oh you need to install that thing" and I just say "negative ghost rider, the pattern is full" and I close it out, but leave the Storm plugged in... she charges and peecee has no idea she's there. Easy as lemon pie.

I shiver when I hear you saying you cut data cables. Seems like it'd just be easier to trick the peecee? but to each his/her own....
    08-15-09 03:48 PM
    So I now have a cable that I can plug into any USB port and don't get the computer asking me if I want to install software for the "new found device".

It is so easy. Just use a single sided razor or other blade and cut the external housing on the cable. Cut through the wire and foil shield. Isolate the green and white wires. Leave the black and red alone. CUT THE GREEN AND WHITE WIRES. Throw a little electrical tape over the ends of the greena nd white wires to stop any accidental contact with other stuff in the housing or themselves (I took out a chunck instead of just cutting them so they would not be able to touch each other). Close up the housing with some electrical tape and you have a POWER ONLY usb-A to usb-micro-A cable for your blackberry!

Steve
    08-15-09 04:11 PM
    What is hard about just clcking "no" when asked if you want to install drivers?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 04:21 PM
    Nothing if you are computer literate and really like telling your computer to not install software everytime you plug in, but if say your not and don't want to repeat the same task over and over esch time you plug in this device to charge then it is a problem. I've got better things to do than tell a computer that I don't want to install software when I just want to suck some power. Hope this is another solution for someone out there. It worked for me.

Steve
    08-15-09 04:26 PM
    not to harp on the issue...

but...

it's one click. as opposed to performing Open Cord Surgery on a USB cable.

and not to address the Elephant In The Room, but.....

what do you do when you want to transfer files/music from computer to BB?
    08-15-09 04:31 PM
    not to harp on the issue...

but...

it's one click. as opposed to performing Open Cord Surgery on a USB cable.

and not to address the Elephant In The Room, but.....

what do you do when you want to transfer files/music from computer to BB?
    Use a different cable...?
    08-15-09 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD