My wife and I now travel with two Curve 8330's, two Plantronics headsets, and a no-name FM transmitter, so I can listen to the BB on the car radio.

While I may eventually get rid of the FM transmitter (if any body has a good solution for a BB adapter for a 2008 Miata let me know), we will probably travel with four devices for several years.

So, my plan is to create a four-way splitter that plugs into a off-the-shelf cigarette-lighter-to-USB adapter, like those from iLuv. It seems to me that if I wire four USB panel-mount jacks in parallel that I should have a workable splitter that provides 5 volts.

Did I overlook something? anybody have a better idea.

And for those of you who might be familiar with the 2008 Miata, I plan to replace the cupholders on the transmission hump with an after-market storage box (from Moss Motors), mounting the panel jacks on the front wall of the box.

Jamie
    01-05-10 10:45 AM
    Current limiting....

If you just supply 5VDC to the USB port, smoke is the most likely result.

I use a auto adapter with the required electronics, that might work out, if it can supply enough milliwatts without overheating.
    01-05-10 11:36 AM
    Agreed, 3.3 is the max VDC you want on a USB line. Of course thats not taking into account jitter and dips that are possibly caused by your alternator and car's grounding system
    01-05-10 11:44 AM
    Great way to warm up your car on a cold day! :-)
    01-05-10 01:54 PM
    You should contact a local car stereo shop - they would probably be able to wire it up just right for you so you have as many outlets as you need. I personally just use a plug in adapter from Best Buy that splits 1 into 2 with proper current. I have two sockets in my car, so I have four available outlets now. Not the prettiest solution, but it works.
    01-05-10 02:11 PM
    they make splitters that you can purchase that would work
    01-05-10 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD