01-04-09 03:10 PM
36 12
tools
    Wow... Unbelievably tragic. Definitely sad, but obviously preventable. Answering a phone on a gun run is well, certainly an officer safety issue...

Yeah, I leave mine on silent... It's not to get calls on. But, I want it there when I need it. We get into a LOT of places where our digitally trunked and encrypted handhelds just do not work. And of course, sometimes you just don't want certain info going off over radio. Like say you have someone in earshot and you'd rather THEY don't hear that they have a warrant or whatever. Sometimes, if it's sensitive or urgent, radio will ask if they are with you etc... I prefer to spring that in my own way.
    The real screwed up part was the phone call was from his real estate agent about a freakin house. If he would have left the phone in the car, he would have still been here today.
    10-22-08 08:50 PM
    The real screwed up part was the phone call was from his real estate agent about a freakin house. If he would have left the phone in the car, he would have still been here today.
    Wow sorry to hear about this, its tragic indeed! Personally my phone is always on vibrate when I am on duty and is in my vest pocket (we wear the flack jacket style outer vest carriers) so I have it just in case my portable radio goes down. I never ever talk on my phone while on a call for service.
    10-23-08 05:27 AM
    Thanks again,

Unfortunately our phones are going to be used for Police Record access, CAD information, as well as normal email and phone tasks. They need them on them at all times, however they are well aware of the ring vs silent on a call issue.

Our prototype is working well, we should have a final version ready in the next 2 to 3 weeks, we have simplified it significantly. We have gone with a simple belt loop with some flex to it instead a removable pin. We have added a large cover with 4 magnets total to hold the flap shut and removed any Velcro, (Officer safety noise issue they claim).

I will post some pics when complete if anyone is interested, and you will be able to buy them directly from our vendor, he makes and sells a lot of cases.
    10-29-08 01:01 PM
    Well... It's been a bit. Was sure hoping to hear more about the cases being made.

Any progress Hemertwv? You still around?
    12-12-08 05:58 PM
    I use a Maxpedition cell phone case. Made for a duty belt and is adjustable. You can position a magnet in between the velcro. I cut the magnets out of a 7100 pouch and they work great putting my Storm in sleep mode.

CP-M - Phone / Radio Holders - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR (Primary innovator and premier manufacturer of outdoor, hunting and tactical nylon gear)
    12-12-08 07:57 PM
    Can't help it.
    Sorry.
    But how about putting it in the hole of the donut!
    LoL. =8')
    I'm cracking up, STILL over this XD
    12-20-08 12:01 AM
    I've never encountered an issue with the Otterbox. I will agree, though, that it does make the phone a bit more bulky. That being said, I've used it in the rain, dropped it in the mud and the phone kept on ticking. I had one on my 8830 and now that we've switch to the 8350i, PTT Curve, I've purchased another otterbox.

One caveat, though. I got the new BB 8350i as soon as it came out and immediately purchased the otterbox from the otterbox website. When the case arrived (yesterday), I threw the phone in it. It is better designed than the otterbox I had for my 8830. The only problem is that they placed the magnet on the holster in the wrong location and thus when you holster the phone, it does not put the phone in "holster" mode. I've already contacted Otterbox about the issue. Apparently there was an oversight in the engineering department. I'm sure they will fix this promptly.

Oh, and I am a cop. Albeit I work in criminal investigations.
    12-20-08 03:50 PM
    Rugged cases are the best, toughest, secure, and most user friendly cases for users who need a case that will standup to dailly abuse. They even are made with the magnet and for your specific BB device. I buy mine here oh and they last for years.

alternativewireless.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 04:09 AM
    I am a police officer 5 years now, the best case I have ever used it the body glove hard case. Its about 20 bucks at your cell phone store.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 01:05 PM
    Yeah, but it appears that it doesn't have a way to put the phone to sleep (magnetic sensor on blackberry).
    01-03-09 01:09 PM
    That is true, but I just keep mine in my car and it charges via usb cord on the mdt.
    01-04-09 03:10 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD