01-04-09 02:10 PM
36 12
tools
    Hello all, I work for a Police service and need to find an appropriate case for the officers when using a curve.

We have tried the otterbox, don't like it, too large, affects voice adds echo, etc.

The standard leather pouch is ok, but the clip breaks too easy.

Any ideas, thanks.
    09-04-08 02:31 PM
    How about something like this: http://shop.crackberry.com/smartphon...medium=content

My case is similar, only it also has a plastic screen protector built in. I like it, got it for $20 at the mall.
    Last edited by hassan.; 09-04-08 at 02:47 PM.
    09-04-08 02:45 PM
    I personally like the seidio rubberized hard case but I'm not a cop lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-08 02:48 PM
    Can't help it.
    Sorry.
    But how about putting it in the hole of the donut!
    LoL. =8')
    09-04-08 03:10 PM
    I bought a Blackberry wallet, new, on E-bay for 10.99. The case 2 belt loops and a non breakable clip
    New Wallet Pouch for AT&T Blackberry Curve 8300 8310 - eBay (item 270272159534 end time Sep-04-08 14:11:13 PDT)
    09-04-08 03:19 PM
    http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/acce..._z6tv_case.jpg I have the 1 for the 8330 and like it..
    09-04-08 05:11 PM
    I personally like the seidio rubberized hard case but I'm not a cop lol

I would have to agree with this. I have leather duty belt and I have a acker glove pouch that it fits in perfectly. It even protects it when you have to grapple with a suspect.

09-05-08 01:18 AM
    Thanks for all the comments I should further refine, spring clips, plastic clips don't work, they break way too easy.

We also live in the cold white north and so some environmental protection is nice to have as well.

Having a device pouch that doubles as a wallet or card pouch wouldn't work, they use the devices too much to fiddling with the other stuff. I will look into the Seidio and acker pouch.

Thanks
    09-05-08 10:13 AM
    I'm not a cop either, but, after breaking four phones in five years, and my 7130e having cracks in its case, here's what I did . . . I added a line with the family plan and bought one of those water proof, shock proof, blah-blah-blah phones, that I wear under my gear on calls all the time -- the worst I've ever done to it is crack the belt clip and the case still worked ok for a week while I was out of state for training. It's not exactly what you asked for but it's what works for me.
    09-12-08 10:11 AM
    Seidio Rubberized Hard Case
    09-12-08 10:13 AM
    North Wales Police in the UK switched to Blackberrys for their officers, though I suspect they have had some custom apps built using MDS services that reduces the paperwork requirements when they get back to the local police station...

BBC NEWS | England | Police hail 'Blackberries' switch
    09-12-08 10:18 AM
    what about hte casemate leather puch/holster. seems to be pretty rigid.
    09-12-08 10:22 AM
    You need an OtterBox!
    09-12-08 09:48 PM
    I'm surprised you had problems with the otterbox in regards to echo and sound quality. Almost my entire unit is using the otterbox to protect our BB's. There really isn't a case that offers the same amount of protection as the otterbox.

Although we use the otterbox case we do not use the holster that comes with it. We found a couple nice ballistic nylon cases with a belt loop from NITEIZE.com. These cases are designed to fit belts exceeding 2 1/4".

If the otterbox isnt for you than you will need a hard shell holster for it
    09-12-08 10:10 PM
    I have the Casemate pouch/holster for the Curve and the clip does'nt fit well on my duty belt so to keep from losing it during a footchase or breaking in a fight,I usually end up leaving it in my vehicle,but until I find one that fits,I've learned that on this job it's better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by francscrackin; 09-12-08 at 10:42 PM.
    09-12-08 10:36 PM
    I just ordered an Otter Box to try, but the clip looks like it will not work for a duty belt. Right now, i have the standard BB holster for my Curve, mounted horizontally. it seems to work fine. I have used the horizontal case similar to TLMoore's for other phones - it seems to work well, and will hold extra media cards (my cops are always running out onto the street with unloaded digital cameras!)
    09-15-08 06:34 AM
    I just put an inquiry in to Otter Box about duty belt-sized clips. I told them that there is a market niche for us!
    09-15-08 07:32 AM
    Again thanks for all the suggestions,

We use the same software technology that North Wales uses, they had a custom case built for them, we have a sample of it, it however was built for the 8700 device and it sits on there vest/chest area.

The OtterBox Curve echo issue is well documented, it is a major issue that many customers have complained about, it appears to be specific to the curve cause it works fine on other devices like the 8800. Additionally the clip will not fit around our duty belts and has come off on several occasions.

We have a Seido on order, as well as a vendor who builds our radio belt cases has agreed to build a prototype for us for the curve. We will see as we have a lot of Devices to role out over the next few years.
    09-15-08 10:38 AM
    Keep us posted on that development please. Might have to order one from you
    09-25-08 02:09 PM
    Go with a KRUSSELL, they last forever!!!
    09-27-08 02:13 PM
    i'm a paramedic here in NYC and would love a case that works with my duty belt. Only problem is that I would love the magnet option in the holster as well. NITEIZE look good but is there anything out there designed with the BB magnet in mind?
    10-07-08 11:21 PM
    I'm gonna try the otterbox for my future Bold. Currently, I just have a rubberized skin for my 8800.

Something for you to think about...I stopped carrying my cell phone on my gun belt for fear of distraction years ago.

Early on, I delt with forgetting to turn the ringer off when searching buildings or making entries.

Setting it to vibrate can cause you to take your mind off what your doing, to look down at it or reach for it to stop it. Those are valuable seconds you can't afford to loose.

I plugged mine up on the car charger and left it there while on patrol. It came out and went in my shirt pocket when I went to lunch or in the office.

Now I'm assigned to marine division. It gets placed in a waterproof case and stored in my gear bag until we dock.

Sorry for the long post, but its an officer safety issue with me.

We lost a deputy who went to a disturbance call where he knew the guy he was dealing with and had been out there several times. He thought he was safe. His cell phone rang (that was attached to his gun belt) and he answered it and started talking. The suspect (an elderly man) obtained a shotgun and shot the deputy dead.

Leave the phones in your cars and stay safe. Don't get complacent.

10-07-08 11:45 PM

We lost a deputy who went to a disturbance call where he knew the guy he was dealing with and had been out there several times. He thought he was safe. His cell phone rang (that was attached to his gun belt) and he answered it and started talking. The suspect (an elderly man) obtained a shotgun and shot the deputy dead.

Sorry to hear that. That is just a sad case.
    10-15-08 07:29 PM
    Wow... Unbelievably tragic. Definitely sad, but obviously preventable. Answering a phone on a gun run is well, certainly an officer safety issue...

Yeah, I leave mine on silent... It's not to get calls on. But, I want it there when I need it. We get into a LOT of places where our digitally trunked and encrypted handhelds just do not work. And of course, sometimes you just don't want certain info going off over radio. Like say you have someone in earshot and you'd rather THEY don't hear that they have a warrant or whatever. Sometimes, if it's sensitive or urgent, radio will ask if they are with you etc... I prefer to spring that in my own way.
    10-15-08 10:34 PM
    Look at the Nutshell case.
    They are very nice and just work well.
    They offer a nice metal clip or a real rugged looking belt loop too.
    Though they are far away,they seem to ship very fast.
    10-20-08 09:20 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD