If I use the native browser only to view pages and close it, the battery life is not so good the rest of the day, but if I do a battery pull and use Opera mini to view a couple pages or more the battery is much better.

I have noticed that you never get back the memory from the native browser when you close and it uses even more memory when using java script.

Also what I have noticed is if you charge your phone overnight, but have used the browser previous without doing a battery pull, the idle battery usage is lower than doing a battery pull after using the native browser.

I think the native browser is acting like a rouge app and causing memory leaks.

Since never opening the native browser I have better battery life. Plain and simple.

And I have wiped and installed .362 twice. Perhaps I should try a different build?

Thoughts?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-11-11 12:46 PM
    If I use the native browser only to view pages and close it, the battery life is not so good the rest of the day, but if I do a battery pull and use Opera mini to view a couple pages or more the battery is much better.

I have noticed that you never get back the memory from the native browser when you close and it uses even more memory when using java script.

Also what I have noticed is if you charge your phone overnight, but have used the browser previous without doing a battery pull, the idle battery usage is lower than doing a battery pull after using the native browser.

I think the native browser is acting like a rouge app and causing memory leaks.

Since never opening the native browser I have better battery life. Plain and simple.

And I have wiped and installed .362 twice. Perhaps I should try a different build?

Thoughts?

When you say "better battery life" from never opening the native browser, how much better are we talking about?

Do you have Meterberry?
    10-11-11 01:05 PM
    Noticed this too when I first got my 9930. But I fixed this by turning off the geolocation on the browser.

HTH.
    10-11-11 01:18 PM
    Sorry but I don't have meter berry.

I do have geolocation off.

I pull my phone off the charger by 5:30 am every morning. With the native browser used and closed without a battery pull I was down 10% By 7:00 am with no usage.

When not using the browser and doing a battery pull coming off the charger I would loose 10% by 10:30.

For some reason the native browser one opened suck the juice hard.

I encourage anyone to try this. Do a battery pull when coming off the charger and do not use the native browser and see if you see a difference like I do.
    I have been using Opera Mini and have been saving some juice. Also there is more available memory when using Opera Mini and never opening the native browser.

Perhaps a new update can correct this.

Last edited by HankHowdy; 10-11-11 at 11:23 PM.
    10-11-11 03:14 PM
    i have it on the charger right now. i will do a batt pull tmrw when i wake up. ill report my results at night ... just gota remember to not use the native brower. ill prob just put it on the bottom row for now just to remind myself not to use it.

in either case thx for the suggestion!
    10-12-11 03:22 AM
    no hope for me then because i dont use my bb browser at all and I still only get only 5-7 hours of battery life on my 9900 with 3G on, at least 2 days with 3G off. I do my browsing on my android luckily.
    10-12-11 03:40 AM
    Gotta be an issue with either your phone or your os...I have no such issues with mine. Stock os here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-11 07:23 AM
    Out of habit I soft boot every other day. I have never done a batt pull. My 9930 is off the charger at 5am and returns at 11pm. I have wifi off unless I am using it and location off. I surf 2-4 hours a day. Use the phone 1 hour and on average have at least 35% at the end of the day, with a very stable 232mb free which rarely drops past 230mb. I'm with VZ running stock Os .254. Side note, I did not use the DM's Device switch and only transferred data from my previous bb's backup. Then logged into BB ID and all has been fine for 3+ weeks. Sorry to hear your having issues.

10-12-11 08:42 AM
    Out of habit I soft boot every other day. I have never done a batt pull. My 9930 is off the charger at 5am and returns at 11pm. I have wifi off unless I am using it and location off. I surf 2-4 hours a day. Use the phone 1 hour and on average have at least 35% at the end of the day, with a very stable 232mb free which rarely drops past 230mb. I'm with VZ running stock Os .254. Side note, I did not use the DM's Device switch and only transferred data from my previous bb's backup. Then logged into BB ID and all has been fine for 3+ weeks. Sorry to hear your having issues.

I am not really having a problem with battery life, I just think its weird that the browser never gives its memory back when closed and that it causes a memory leak in the system memory area.

I surf for between 2 and 3 hours a day, tapatalk for an hour and pandora for an hour. Plus the usual bbm, text, emails and a few short phone calls. While on VZW .254 OS I could not get this much usage with a single charge. When I went to .362 it was then possible.

Anyways, I thought that having your phone clean and having lots of memory available would increase speed and battery life.

10-12-11 10:08 AM
    I am not really having a problem with battery life, I just think its weird that the browser never gives its memory back when closed and that it causes a memory leak in the system memory area.

I surf for between 2 and 3 hours a day, tapatalk for an hour and pandora for an hour. Plus the usual bbm, text, emails and a few short phone calls. While on VZW .254 OS I could not get this much usage with a single charge. When I went to .362 it was then possible.

Anyways, I thought that having your phone clean and having lots of memory available would increase speed and battery life.

Hi Hank, you can always clear the browsers cache and history. When in the browser press menu/options. Scroll to the bottom and choose what you want to clean up. If don't do this once in a while it can add up. You can also enable the BB's Memory cleaner.

10-12-11 10:44 AM
    Hi Hank, you can always clear the browsers cache and history. When in the browser press menu/options. Scroll to the bottom and choose what you want to clean up. If don't do this once in a while it can add up. You can also enable the BB's Memory cleaner.

Been there done that. I always clear the cache daily. And memory cleaner is set to clean every hour.

The browsers memory is still never returned.

If everyone looks at their memory usage and looks at the browser it uses a lot of memory and gets worse the more you browse even when you close the browser the correct way and clear the cache the browser is still using all that memory.

I have been using Opera Mini for two days and have all kinds of free memory now without having to reboot the phone.

I bet if you all look at the memory usage area in the options menu, you will see it too.

10-12-11 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD