08-03-09 04:15 PM
48 12
tools
    I posted this in the 8900 section in response to a case thread. I just can't stomach putting a case on my phone, bulking it up even more and making it look downright stupid. The Bold is BOLD enough. Anyone agree with me here??

"In my opinion, cases are stupid. They go against everything the designers of these phones strived for. The Curve is one of the best looking phones out there and you cover it up/bulk it up with a case? Sigh.

Yeah yeah... you want to protect it.

How about you be careful with your phones?

If you scratch it THAT badly, you can replace bezels, battery doors, LCD lenses, etc quite cheaply.

Only thing I would do and possibly recommend is a clear LCD film because on the Bold the LCD is glued to the lens making it almost impossible to replace independently.

Sorry no one said it, so I had to.

To each his own"
    06-15-09 01:34 PM
    I agree with this completely. I just use my phones without any stupid looking
    cases all over them. I've dropped my Bold numerous times and I don't care.
    I've had an 8900 for about 10 days now and have droppe it twice already. I
    mean really I like the look and the feel of the phones in my hand. I don't need
    it to be more bulky.

I use the OEM holster to carry my phone on my jeans pocket so I don't have
    it in my pocket. I put a silicone skin on the stupid phone when I hit the gym
    because that's where I throw the phone around the most. As soon as I'm
    home I take that thing off. That's all the protection I need.
    06-15-09 01:37 PM
    Actually that's one aspect I haven't thought of but do agree with--covering up a phone w/ a case given special circumstances, going to the gym, being around water/pool/beach, etc. THAT I can agree with.

But covering up a phone full time?

My friend bought one of those new iPod shuffles (the small one) in a beautiful bright blue color. And what does he do? He puts a rubber case over it making it look like a chunk of tire. Are you kidding me?

iPhone offenders are the worst! My friend's white 16GB iPhone 3G *cased* looks like one of those video games in the plastic clear security case on display at a store. h-i-d-e-o-u-s

I agree with this completely. I just use my phones without any stupid looking
    cases all over them. I've dropped my Bold numerous times and I don't care.
    I've had an 8900 for about 10 days now and have droppe it twice already. I
    mean really I like the look and the feel of the phones in my hand. I don't need
    it to be more bulky.

I use the OEM holster to carry my phone on my jeans pocket so I don't have
    it in my pocket. I put a silicone skin on the stupid phone when I hit the gym
    because that's where I throw the phone around the most. As soon as I'm
    home I take that thing off. That's all the protection I need.
    06-15-09 01:41 PM
    For the record, I haven't used a case in many, many years. However, when I was traveling a lot and working in some fairly chaotic conditions, a case was a must. Depends on the circumstances.
    06-15-09 01:44 PM
    I agree with you to a certain extent. Me personally it depends on my mood if I want to cover it up. But lots of people like taking the "better be safe then sorry route". Also changing bezels and scratched LCd's void the warranty which the average person isn't going to do. So instead of dealing with it, they protect it.
    06-15-09 01:45 PM
    Depends if your Bold is for a 'Glamour Puss' or a working person - if I didn't have a case the phone would soon get damaged.
    06-15-09 01:57 PM
    Agree with the OP...screen protector and face in on a seidio spring clip holster...only way to roll

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-09 01:59 PM
    If you didn't want a "glamour puss," shoulda bought an 8700 or at the most an 8300 Curve They do 99% of the things the new Blackberrys do, yet more rugged.

Depends if your Bold is for a 'Glamour Puss' or a working person - if I didn't have a case the phone would soon get damaged.
    06-15-09 02:03 PM
    I guess I can't relate cause I've never been in a situation where I've damaged my phone to the extent I needed to make a warranty claim. I've also had no defective Blackberrys and I've owned (no joke) at least 50. (Used to trade/buy/sell like crazy).

I just never understood people who buy Blackberrys at full retail @ $500+. I buy them in mint condition used on Craig's list. My bold was $300. If it konks out, I'll get it again or maybe an 8800 for $100 used. I find the Bold to be unnecessary given my experience with prior BBs.

But I honestly can't see my phone konking out. Blackberrys just don't!
    I agree with you to a certain extent. Me personally it depends on my mood if I want to cover it up. But lots of people like taking the "better be safe then sorry route". Also changing bezels and scratched LCd's void the warranty which the average person isn't going to do. So instead of dealing with it, they protect it.
    06-15-09 02:08 PM
    Actually why would anybody want to protect what they'll never see? It's akin to people who sheepskin cover their car seats... their seats will never see the light of day.
    06-15-09 02:18 PM
    Well, i dont know about you guys.
    But for me, I think I have OCD.
    Like, if i get something new, I don't want it scratched .

I will always get things like Lens protector.
    As for cases, I would prefer something that covers the whole thing but not too bulky.

But I know some who are worse then me up to the point they buy stuff like UNDERWATER PROOF CASE. This is going a bit too far I think.

I don't occasionally drop things, but I just want to play safe XD.
    But maybe that's just me. And of course, I'm quite reasonable as in, I don't exactly spend like US$100.00 on a casing. My one costed US$10.00
    06-15-09 02:23 PM
    I don't want my stuff scratched either... and guess what? I don't scratch it. LOL. I guess some people are more careful than others.

I never put my phone in my pocket with keys, coins, or any other hard, metallic objects.

I clean my phone every day with an alcohol/glasses wipe.
    06-15-09 02:26 PM
    I have big hands and Homer Simpson fingers so without my Reiko (spare tire style) slip on skin the Bold just feels too small and dainty...it has nothing to do with glamor or ruggedess; it's about keeping the unit comfortable in perspective to my grip size. I carry it in a cargo pocket on my shorts, in my hand or in the OEM holster and use the Zagg protector. It's cleaned a couple times a day with windex sprayed on moon floss..
    Last edited by bumblesbounce; 06-15-09 at 02:44 PM.
    06-15-09 02:41 PM
    I built a nice velvet-lined wooden case for mine. Nice brass hinges and museum grade glass to be able to see its splendor while it rests on my desk. Sucks to carry around, though.
    06-15-09 04:13 PM
    I built a nice velvet-lined wooden case for mine. Nice brass hinges and museum grade glass to be able to see its splendor while it rests on my desk. Sucks to carry around, though.
    Try a backpack, that would make it even snazzier.
    06-15-09 04:15 PM
    Agree with the OP...screen protector and face in on a seidio spring clip holster...only way to roll

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That's exactly what I do with mine.
    06-15-09 04:44 PM
    or how bout a front-pack like what babies sit inside
    Last edited by bmwmpower; 06-15-09 at 05:43 PM.
    06-15-09 05:39 PM
    or how bout a front-pack like what babies sit inside
    A Baby Bold Bjorn.....

I don't cover my phone in anything. I only like the feel of a bare phone. I have dropped it 4-5 times and it's fine. One day I will drop it and it will break apart and then I will get another one. Would rather use it the way I like it than protect it and not enjoy the daily use.
    06-15-09 06:06 PM
    Well said.

A Baby Bold Bjorn.....

I don't cover my phone in anything. I only like the feel of a bare phone. I have dropped it 4-5 times and it's fine. One day I will drop it and it will break apart and then I will get another one. Would rather use it the way I like it than protect it and not enjoy the daily use.
    06-15-09 06:31 PM
    Try a backpack, that would make it even snazzier.
    I usually mount 2 poles on the box and hire a few people to carry it around for me so I can gaze upon all of its guilded beauty during my excursions. A backpack would surely hide it's true majesty.
    06-15-09 06:33 PM
    I use a leather slipcase. If I'm going to be walking around with a $600 device that is easily dropped and placed in pockets withoud shuffling things around, it's going to get at least some protection. I don't like using the thing while it's swaddled in silicone though - too much "stuff" where my fingers are typing. That and it makes using a charging pod inconvenient.
    06-15-09 06:36 PM
    I usually mount 2 poles on the box and hire a few people to carry it around for me so I can gaze upon all of its guilded beauty during my excursions. A backpack would surely hide it's true majesty.
    What kind of application process is involved in getting hired as one of the BerryBearers?
    06-15-09 06:42 PM
    What kind of application process is involved in getting hired as one of the BerryBearers?
    Step 1. Be a hot female.
    Step 2. Be willing to be at my whim.
    Step 3. Pay me for performing BerryBearing services (not BabyBearing).

Interested?
    06-15-09 06:47 PM
    +1 with LCD screen
    06-15-09 07:00 PM
    I should have thought of that, my bad.
    06-15-09 07:44 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD