First I bought an Otterbox for my bold. Ihen I purchased a gearkeeper retractable tether. I know it is over doing it, but it keeps my phone safe and secure.

I got the "dog training transmitter retractor", RT4-5272 because (1) I wanted the velcro loop strap rather than the belt clip as I will use it for hiking as well as everyday use, and (2) It seems to be the proper retracting force and length for a phone as heavy as the bold with an otterbox on it.

I had to burn a hole in the otterbox to attach the tether to the phone because the otterbox did not have an access hole on the same side as the phone's internal tether attachment. I just heated a nail punch and slide it through the side of the otterbox.

It works great. If I drop the phone the retractor is strong enough to prevent it from taking out anymore line. Thsu, even if i drop my phone it will just dangle from the retractor and not hit the floor.

I also won't be leaving my phone anywhere (unless I leave my pants there too.)
    04-05-09 02:25 AM
    sounds like a good idea ive never seen these gear keeper teether iam in construction and constaly worry about dropping my phone off a roof or some where my last phone i was 30' up walking on top plates and knocked it off and it feel into a puddle luckily i had insurance
    04-05-09 01:25 PM
    You should definitely check out their site:

Gear Keeper - Retractable Gear Attachment Systems

You can order directly from them. Just be sure to tell them what you wnat to use it for and they'll make sure you get the right product.

They sent me a free "cell phone" tether with the retractor that I ordered because the retractor I ordered has a thick tether with a split ring for attachment. The cell phone tether has the thin string loop at the end for sliding it into the tether hole of the Blackberry Bold.
    04-06-09 11:33 AM
    yeah i looked them up yesterday thanks for the link
    04-06-09 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD