03-07-09 12:50 AM
48 12
tools
    Since getting my Blackberry Bold, I have been on the search for the perfect case/protection. Of course, everyone is going to have a different needs, but here is what I went through and what eventually worked for me.

At first I used the case that came with the phone. It is actually a good case and I like the sleeper function. The problem was, when I take the phone out to use, it has no protection from my clumsiness.

My second attempt was the Otterbox Defender. This is actually a very good case if you (or your job) are rough on the phone. It is pretty much bomb proof. It had some negatives that eventually forced me away from it.

* Time consuming to take it off and on for a battery pull
    * The soft plastic (first layer) never layed flat on the screen well
    * You can't use the speaker phone (high pitched squelch)
    * You can't use the camera flash due to the reflection off of the soft plastic
    * It was HUGE after putting all 3 layers on
    * The case caused some minor irritation using the trackball

I then tried the Clear Snap-on cover. I liked the slim look but it would not fit in my Blackberry case with the cover on. If I used the clip that came with the cover, it was always falling off of my side I didn't like just sticking the phone in my pocket as I would always have to lock the phone or start launching multiple applications as I moved around (also, no sleeper function).

I then tried the Case Mate. I really liked the looks of this case and it seemed to protect the phone well. It covers the buttons and I think it actually made it easier to type. I was hoping that this case might fit into the Otterbox holder, but it did not. There was also some other problems.

* I still had the issue of having to just put it in my pocket.
    * Although the light shines through the key buttons, it was still hard to see them sometimes at night.
    * Most importantly, it was a pain in the **** to use the trackball with this case on.

It became clear that what I was looking for was a carrying case (preferably with a sleeper function) that would fit my phone while it is in some type of form fitting case.

In desperation, I went to an At&t store and was looking at their cases. I ran across an htc side carrying pouch that looked like it would fit my phone even with a form fitting cover on it. I tried it out and it fit great! But hold on! The case snaps shut using two magnets (one on each side). Wait for it... by God the magnets are in the perfect place to put the Bold in it's sleep mode! As long as the screen is facing out, you can place the Bold in the carrying case either way. Also, I like the clip on this case much better then the ratchet clips. It seems to not fall off of me as much as the ratchet clips.

I do believe this case will work with a myriad of other covers that stay on the Bold. When my phone is in the case, there seems to be a little room left if I ever want a larger phone cover. It works with my Clear Snap On, and the Case Mate (it does not work with the Otterbox).

Now I use this carrying case with a variety of skins/form fitting case. I also use a generic plastic screen cover to help protect the screen.

The below photos are of my phone and HTC case.

As far as negatives, the only thing I can come up with right off hand is that it seems like it is a little harder to feel the phone vibrate in this case.

I am sure this is not the perfect solution for everyone. But maybe there is someone out there who is thinking along the same lines as myself. I hope this helps. If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

DISCLAIMER: I do not receive any compensation for promoting the HTC carrying case. You Crackberries have been very helpful during my learning curve and I just want to give back.
    Last edited by djohnson1810; 05-08-09 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo
    01-21-09 04:53 PM
    Very nice review thanks for sharing!

How is the Case Mate with dust and lint sticking to/getting underneath the skin?
    01-21-09 05:04 PM
    Do you like the trackball being surrounded by the case? I nearly threw my Curve with one of those cases cause it drove me nuckin futs lol
    01-21-09 05:07 PM
    i use a clear snap cover without the clip and im still able use the holster the phone came wit
    01-21-09 06:37 PM
    why not the seidio innocase?
    01-21-09 06:56 PM
    I wish I'd read this before I ordered my Otterbox Defender (yesterday). Sigh.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 07:53 PM
    This was an outstanding review. I love the pics that went along with it.
    01-21-09 07:56 PM
    I like the otterbox... Good for protection against falls, and when I switch my battery (have a backup), my phone feels ultra light
    01-21-09 07:57 PM
    This was a great little review. Thanks for sharing. I have been using the clip case that came with my Bold but the latch/cover is starting to develop a crack at the seam so I've been trying to find another case that would suit me.

Thanks again. I agree with the picture comment, they are nice to have attached to reviews like this.
    01-21-09 08:07 PM
    Nice review, im in pursuit of the perfect case also, check out my videos
    01-21-09 08:34 PM
    i use a flip case. puts the bold into standby mode too.
    but that's a smart tip. never knew the bold could fit a htc fuze case!
    01-21-09 08:44 PM
    great review!
    01-21-09 09:05 PM
    Very nice review thanks for sharing!

How is the Case Mate with dust and lint sticking to/getting underneath the skin?
    It actually does well. No problems with that. I just don't like how much of the trackball it covers up.
    Last edited by djohnson1810; 05-08-09 at 03:51 PM.
    01-21-09 10:40 PM
    Do you like the trackball being surrounded by the case? I nearly threw my Curve with one of those cases cause it drove me nuckin futs lol
    Big problem for me.
    Last edited by djohnson1810; 05-08-09 at 03:52 PM.
    01-21-09 10:41 PM
    i use a clear snap cover without the clip and im still able use the holster the phone came wit
    I tried that. It was real tight on mine.
    01-21-09 10:42 PM
    why not the seidio innocase?
    After spending so much money on the Otterbox, I was a little gun shy on getting another high dollar case. The Innocase may have worked fine.
    01-21-09 10:43 PM
    i have a seidio innocase clear, and i personally am not too happy with it. the middle bar personally bothers me when i roll the trackball often (i have big fingers haha). another thing is that only after a week of use, my case is already cracking on the top right and bottom right of the case. the clip on the top left which holds the two piece together already broke off. it also attracts dirt, eventually causing a buildup of debris, especially above the camera.
    01-22-09 03:11 AM
    Yeah, i ordered mine and going to do a review on it in a couple of days
    01-22-09 03:15 AM
    thanks for posting your results. you saved me a pretty penny.
    01-22-09 03:16 AM
    I want one of those cases now. I already have the casemate.
    01-22-09 09:46 PM
    Just an update. I was at the mall the other day and I tried the Body Glove for the Bold in the HTC case. It did NOT fit well.
    Last edited by djohnson1810; 05-08-09 at 03:52 PM.
    01-23-09 07:40 PM
    nice review... I was looking all around blackberries forums for this and I found this really helpful...
    01-23-09 09:16 PM
    i have a seidio innocase clear, and i personally am not too happy with it. the middle bar personally bothers me when i roll the trackball often (i have big fingers haha). another thing is that only after a week of use, my case is already cracking on the top right and bottom right of the case. the clip on the top left which holds the two piece together already broke off. it also attracts dirt, eventually causing a buildup of debris, especially above the camera.
    I have also heard that the innocase tends to scratch the Bold after awhile.
    01-25-09 04:26 PM
    yes, this is also true. its a tight fit, so it definately left a couple minor scratches on the silver bezel.
    01-25-09 05:53 PM
    yikes i just got my seidio innocase, i'll keep an eye on it for sure after these results. thanks for the heads up
    01-25-09 07:35 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD