I've seen a few threads on this subject and I guess I know the answer to the question I wanted to ask. So I'll ask it another way.

We all know that the mute button pauses/restarts music when out of the holster. And I've found that it seems to work differently when in the holster. I've tried OS6.0.0.448 on a 9700 and 9800 and the mute button works differently when in the holster.

On the 9700, the mute would not work when in the holster. This meant that I had to start or pause the music before inserting it into the holster ... then carefully insert my BB without hitting the mute button on the way in. Once in, the music has no way of accidentally starting or pausing (unless you have a connected listening device - ubeauty!).

On the 9800, the mute button continues to work when in the holster. Causes some embarrasments when I bump it against something.

Judging from the treads on this subject I think there is no way to fix this (pls correct me if I'm wrong). So my question is which do you prefer? Hopfully if the answer is varied, someone in RIM will see this thread and will make this a settable option.

I prefer the mute disabled when IN holster.
    Last edited by Motherboard2010; 03-15-11 at 07:18 PM.
    03-15-11 07:13 PM
    Not a direct solution, but there are a number of cases that make it much harder to accidentally depress the mute button (to the point where it basically won't happen on accident).

AGF GRT, epik resin case, almost any of the cheap hard plastic cases, etc.
    03-15-11 07:25 PM
    I stumbled on the solution to my problem and what you've suggested made sense. I had two different BB holster types (one with a belt clip) ... both were larger than my old 9700 and seemed such a nice fit for my new Torch that I thought it was purpose built for the Torch. However, I have just discovered that it doesn't enter into "holster mode" it when I put it in.

For that reason, my Mute was always working in the holster ... because it wasn't inside it properly. I stumbled on this when my profiles weren't working as I configured it and no one had reported it as a problem.

My solution was to insert the Torch top first into the holsters. That was very interesting to me. I think the magnetic activator is a bit lower than the Torch can reach. Both holsters (while bigger) work either way up for the 9700.
    Last edited by Motherboard2010; 03-21-11 at 09:46 PM.
    03-21-11 09:43 PM
    Yeah the magnetic sensor is not in the same position on the Torch.
    03-21-11 09:44 PM
    That, or I have read on some threads that users had better luck putting the phone in the holster with the screen facing the belt clip...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-11 10:27 PM
    I use an OEM leather pocket pouch and the mute key works when in the holster. I actually prefer it this way since I only listen to music with wired earbuds and in the holster in my pocket. Its easy if someone asks me a question or wants to talk to simply press the mute key from within the pocket instead of having to pull the device from my pocket, then pull it from the holster to stop music play.

With an OEM holster made for the torch it wont matter in what direction you put it in the case as the magnet will work in any orientation(other then upside down, obviously).
    03-22-11 08:12 AM
    I actually prefer it this way since I only listen to music with wired earbuds and in the holster in my pocket. Its easy if someone asks me a question or wants to talk to simply press the mute key from within the pocket instead of having to pull the device from my pocket, then pull it from the holster to stop music play.
    If you have your own earbuds connected in OS6, the hardware detects it. It allows you to mute when holstered if the earbuds are plugged in or if you have bluetooth with A/V remote control. Pretty smart!
    03-22-11 11:35 PM
    Hey motherboard.
    after reading this I went to my torch and opened my pandora app, and started the music.then hit the mute to stop it. I then went back to my home screen and opened pattern lock, a great app for locking the screen. so I opened it and the screen goes locked then into standby.
    when you un-mute, the phone will go into locked mode with the music running-can't re-mute until you unlock then hit the button. to disable the mute button from turning on the music, you will have your music running, exit to the home screen, open pattern lock,lock the phone then when you mute it while locked , it will not accidentally start. it is a great app from the app store called pattern lock. will solve your accidental button problem for sure , i use this all the time for just that. try it! good luck!

*edit* also when the phone is locked with pattern lock,keep it out of the holster, the holster disables the pattern lock but when you remove the phone, the pattern lock will resume until you unlock it.

*edit* found the flaw with this. pattern lock only disable the mute button, only while the screen is lit. as soon as the screen goes out into stand by the mute button will unmute the music., so if you can keep the backlight on while in pattern lock, it will not un-mute, but that would be an unnecessary battery drain for sure, well it works a little,
    Last edited by tcseacliff; 03-23-11 at 10:27 PM.
    03-23-11 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD