So I have one of those cheap car chargers that are black with the red light..the ones you get on eBay for $2.00.

but noticed motorolas looks really sexy with the blue light.

even though my 07 outlander has red/orange lights on the dash i'm picking one of these mo' fo's up
    01-29-09 08:49 PM
    this one. but you can get it on ebay for $9.75 with free shipping

P513 microUSB Car Charger - Motorola US
    01-29-09 08:55 PM
    I've heard that Moto chargers fry the battery on BlackBerries.
    01-29-09 09:05 PM
    wow, you would think that it would be better then the cheap $2.00 one from eBay.

off to google that
    01-29-09 09:14 PM
    seems like 5v is safe for the 8900
    01-29-09 09:24 PM
    A USB connection is standard so all the chargers are *supposed* to meet the standard.
    01-29-09 09:30 PM
    this one. but you can get it on ebay for $9.75 with free shipping

P513 microUSB Car Charger - Motorola US
    I have that one, works well and looks pretty cool too.
    01-29-09 09:33 PM
    A USB connection is standard so all the chargers are *supposed* to meet the standard.
    you would think this but there were many people who had problems with the oem motorola mini usb car charger(the one that charges the razr) charging their blackberry
    Last edited by gethyphyyo; 01-29-09 at 09:59 PM. Reason: oopsy. made a poopsy
    01-29-09 09:53 PM
    I have that one, works well and looks pretty cool too.

have you been using it with your 8900?
    01-29-09 09:54 PM
    have you been using it with your 8900?
    Fo sho.

you would think this but there were many people who had problems with the oem motorola mini usb car charger(the one that chargers the razr) charging their blackberry
    Exactly. Just because a cable is USB doesn't mean it carries the same amperage and voltage as another. Most phones, especially different brands, require a different volt/amp output from their chargers than another will require in order to give an optimal charge.
    01-29-09 09:58 PM
    Right but its not *supposed* to be like that because USB is a standard port that is supposed to all be the same. Its like when you plug the phones up to your computer to charge and/or sync. All computers are standard so that connection is also supposed to be standard.
    01-29-09 10:14 PM
    They operate at different voltages. Oddly I can currently use a Moto charger to charge my BB but the BB charger doesn't charge my Moto. Still, the Moto works for BB.
    01-29-09 10:15 PM
    The connector was the standard agreed upon, not the voltages. It would have made sense for them to do that as well though, definitely logical.
    01-29-09 10:16 PM
    the only company that has stuck with one charging port is nokia.

why can't other companys follow this
    01-29-09 10:23 PM
    Nope, the electrical current through usb has never been standardized, nor was it supposed to be. Just the dimensions of the port and plug.

Right but its not *supposed* to be like that because USB is a standard port that is supposed to all be the same. Its like when you plug the phones up to your computer to charge and/or sync. All computers are standard so that connection is also supposed to be standard.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 10:41 PM
    So let me get this straight. These phones can all charge from a standard USB computer port (5 V output) but their respectable chargers supply a different voltage? If so that's pretty sad if you ask me. What's the point of going to a standard connection if the Voltage output is going to be different and not compatible with various devices?
    01-29-09 10:54 PM
    ya. it's a way for companys to make money. thats all it is
    01-29-09 10:59 PM
    I've heard that Moto chargers fry the battery on BlackBerries.
    Um, no they don't.....
    01-29-09 11:09 PM
    So let me get this straight. These phones can all charge from a standard USB computer port (5 V output) but their respectable chargers supply a different voltage? If so that's pretty sad if you ask me. What's the point of going to a standard connection if the Voltage output is going to be different and not compatible with various devices?
    I think you're a bit confused. When considering charging via your computer, yes, all cables from USB B (the connection that plugs into the computer) to Mini or Micro USB are the same. It's when you have a charger that's converting your car's AC (alternating current) through the cigarette lighter that can facilitate a slight variation in the voltage and a larger variance in the amperage of the charger.

So in short: Computer charging a phone = all the same.
    Car charging a phone = different.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your original post. You already know what I just wrote. But yes, what you said is what's happening. It's mostly because of the amperages, as what you said is correct about USB being a standard 5v. Another thing to consider is that some devices require a certain circuit in order to activate the charging functionality. For instance, a blackberry wall charger won't charge a razr phone, however a razr wall charger will charge a BB, however much slower than normal as there is about a 25% higher amperage requirement for the BB as there is for the razr (0.55 compared to 0.77 I believe), so it will charge at a slower rate if at all (some devices also recognize the amperage, and if it's not high enough, won't charge).
    Last edited by howejustin; 01-29-09 at 11:20 PM.
    01-29-09 11:10 PM
    Um, no they don't.....
    try and google it. theres tons of people who had a problem with the mini usb oem motorola car charger messing with their blackberry.

but oh dude said he used the micro usb car charger with his 8900 and it works fine for him.
    01-29-09 11:18 PM
    try and google it. theres tons of people who had a problem with the mini usb oem motorola car charger messing with their blackberry.

but oh dude said he used the micro usb car charger with his 8900 and it works fine for him.
    Also, the motorola charger is what Crackberry.com sells, so it must not be that bad for them to keep it in their online store. It gets pretty high ratings online too, as shown here:

http://store.bbnauts.com/motorola-mi...A47A3044A6.htm
    01-29-09 11:22 PM
    I think you're a bit confused. When considering charging via your computer, yes, all cables from USB B (the connection that plugs into the computer) to Mini or Micro USB are the same. It's when you have a charger that's converting your car's AC (alternating current) through the cigarette lighter that can facilitate a slight variation in the voltage and a larger variance in the amperage of the charger.

So in short: Computer charging a phone = all the same.
    Car charging a phone = different.
    What you are saying here is just untrue. First of all the output voltage on your car cigarette lighter is DC. It is 12 V DC straight off the battery and around 14.4 V DC when the alternator is running. The only way you get AC is with an inverter. You guys are discussing plugging a phone charger into a cigarette lighter directly, so that rules out AC voltage from this discussion. What the cigarette lighter charger does is step down the voltage and also limit the current so that the phone will not get damaged.

Part of your response actually proved my point. My point is that the same Voltage and Amperage that you get from a USB port is *supposed* to also be the same on these chargers. That is why these devices have the USB connection and can be all charged from a computer. The corresponding device chargers goal is to match the USB port and comply with the standard. This is why I said *supposed* earlier. If a charger is cheap and not made correctly then you can potentially get incorrect voltage output from the charger. This will definitely have the potential to mess up your phone's charging circuit and even the battery itself. With that being said, not all cheap chargers will be bad and not all expensive chargers will be good. On average however the cheap ones will have a higher failure rate and the more expensive chargers will have a more success rate.

I also do realize that some wall chargers may also be "quick" chargers. This means that instead of 500 mA they will output something more to the phone, maybe 700mA or 1000 mA for example. At this current output the phone will charge faster but the battery will not be damaged. Blackberries have trickle charge technology so that when they are fully charged, the power circuit will limit the power input so that the battery will not get damaged. As long as the chargers are not defective they will not output Amperage which will damage the phone. This kind of stuff is regulated for that reason. Now if a charger is defective, especially with an incorrect Voltage, that is a different issue totally.
    01-29-09 11:34 PM
    yupp. can't wait to get mines. even though I already own a non-branded one.. I ordered a ELITE CAR CHARGER from eBay a few days ago and I can't wait for this one to come.

lol. I tend to order 4 of the same thing JUST IN CASE. I have a mini Bath and bodyworks store and Mini cell phone store in my walk in closet.LOL
    01-29-09 11:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD