I was wondering if the Curve 8310 is compatible with the Motorola Mini USB car Charger....... Just like the one below........
    12-13-08 03:24 PM
    Yes, It is.
    12-13-08 03:54 PM
    Yep to be honest anything with a USB plug will and should work... some may say charging times maybe different, but I have not experienced it at all. no worries you phone will not blow up or anything
    12-13-08 04:23 PM
    wish I'd have known this $30 later... LOL
    I have like six moto chargers from my old phones ...
    12-13-08 05:06 PM
    Thanks guys, Happy to know it will work................
    12-14-08 01:47 AM
    sorry to hear that
    12-14-08 01:58 AM
    Yes I haven't unboxed my bb charger, I use the onr from my old moto razr, the regulation of the charging circuit is in the phones not the charger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 08:05 AM
    I have used the motorola razr car charger for the last 6 months on my curve,,works great
    12-14-08 08:22 AM
    One word of caution before using non-blackberry chargers. Many chargers do not have the same features or power specs that the ones designer for the BB have (auto shutoffs, surge protection, different power ratings, or even have limiters not allowing the BB to fully charge or even overcharge). Usually all this means is different charge times, but if you just plug your phone in and leave it (say like overnight) you could possibly ruin the battery. This isn't very likely, and phones today usually compensate for it, but you need to know it can happen.
    12-14-08 08:55 AM

On this note, can you use any car charger that has a USB port? I bought a charger for my Sandisk MP3 player and it is just the part you plug in with a USB port on it. Can I safely use this? Thank you for any help.
    12-14-08 09:02 AM
    I think the curve is rated to 1A, which is on the higher side for mini USB. So if you can plug it in then you can use it to charge your phone. Would I use a non standard charger for everyday use, no. But will you hurt your phone, I would guess no, but there are so many cables out there you should be aware it is possible.

I have a USB to Mini USB cable for my camera and one for my BB and another from a previous phone. I carry one with me, leave one at home, and keep one at work. This way I always have a way to sync/charge/transfer info wherever I am. Is there a difference in these cables... I have no clue, but to charge my phone each night I use an official charger, but if I need a charge while I am out and about I dont hesitate to use most 3rd party cables since the risk of killing my battery is less than the risk of my crackberry going dead on me. (heaven forbid I am without a phone for even 5 minutes, just a battery pull bootup is long enough to drive me crazy. Wow am I an addict)
    12-14-08 09:24 AM
    When I bought my curve I asked the csr about using my old charger and he said it would void the warranty now maybe he is just a typical salesman just trying to make a sale

12-14-08 09:33 AM
    I stick with OEM Blackberry chargers...
    12-14-08 09:38 AM
    The car charger that the Verizon store gave me with my 8330 was a Verizon packaged one. It stated on it, that it was good for all usb charged phones on the box.
    12-14-08 10:24 AM
    When a charger is rated at a specific amperage that means it can provide up to that amperage. How many amps are drawn is determined by the voltage the charger is capable of, and the load that the device the charger is plugged in to presents.

If the voltage is greater, especially much greater, then you could indeed have catastrophic failure. With a device having a USB standard connector on it, I doubt you'd ever see that happen.

Ohm's law. But the truth is I don't know the answer to the question why some chargers with a USB connector will work on some devices but not others. chip or something......

Now if you were to hook up the wires from the car charger to a car battery, it may blow up te charger and heck even the phone. But with chargers. Over the past 2 year I have used other device chargers and vzw chargers and RIM chargers. Neither have caused damage.
    12-14-08 12:12 PM
    Att sent me a mtorola one with my phone and mine works great. I know some people who have had problems but I think they are just not very smart :-p

12-14-08 12:44 PM
    the voltage on the chargers is different. for example if u plug a razr into a bb charger you will fry the phone. berries are tough but i wont take the chance.
    12-14-08 01:42 PM
    When a charger is rated at a specific amperage that means it can provide up to that amperage. How many amps are drawn is determined by the voltage the charger is capable of, and the load that the device the charger is plugged in to presents.
    Yes yes yes. Thank you for posting this. What many don't realize is that the "1A" on the charger is not what it puts out, but merely what it's able to supply up to. If the phone says 2A and the charger says 1A, then that's not a very good match, since the phone wants 1A more than the charger can provide.

If the charger says 2A and the phone says 1A, no problem, the phone is only going to draw what it needs.
    01-02-09 10:17 AM
    The Moto charger is okay in a pinch, but I would not recommend constant charging using a charge that does not match the battery voltage and amperage. Over amping a battery will cause it to overheat and will not charge it properly even if the battery indicator says it's fully charge. Under amping will not over heat the battery but will also not charge it properly. Best to use a BB charger or USB with Device Manager running.
    01-02-09 10:29 AM
    Overamping? How do you figure? 5V is going to be 5V too.
    01-02-09 10:39 AM