hi all, jus for the few that may ave missed it, mobile phone chargers will become one standard size, this should be done within 3 years, however all you lucky storm / 8900 owners can be happy in knowing that the standard size will be micro USB, so anyone with a storm or curve charger, dont ever bin it, as it`ll be needed there are currently 10 different manufactures going along with this, RIM being one, Nokia and Samsung among the others, so hopefully we`l never need to buy another car charger again

anyways thats my `public announcement` done enjoy

Manufacturers agree to use ' one size fits all' charger - Mobile Today
    Last edited by daveastra; 07-08-09 at 05:37 PM.
    07-08-09 05:09 PM
    Do you have a link to the new story/press release?
    07-08-09 05:21 PM
    This news has been out for a while--and it basically applies to all smart-phones and similar devices. A lot of people were a bit frustrated when RIM started releasing models with micro USB chargers (including myself), but obviously this is the way all data-enabled phones are heading...including the iPhone(?)

Europe has even recently adopted it's own policy that's supposed to be in effect as of next year--which should help push the American manufacturers as well.
    07-08-09 05:28 PM
    This would irritate the aftermarket somewhat, but with the market spreading so much, it would be nice for anyone to be able to use their friends' chargers. It would also allow for auto manufacturers to have standard charging stations in vehicles.

Nice concept.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 05:33 PM
    As the owner of a couple of cell phone stores I would love for this to be true. The problem is that changing the charge port is a huge revenue source for everyone involved. Owned a Curve bought a Storm....had to buy a new CLA. Can't even use the Curve's charger to charge at work which I need to do on occasion.

Small fact which most of you probably know. An aftermarket CLA costs me anywhere between .75 and $1.50 and sells for $19.99. Big money.
    07-08-09 05:33 PM
    link added, took a while to find as had to remeber the mag we get in store!!

i think it will happen, especially with the names behind it, and also the fact the new samsungs are coming out with it, also the nokia N97 has it too as well as the N85, its definitley on its way, but yea i know what ya mean, we sell CLA packs for 8 and they prob cost nothing to make, but i guess maybe the costs will get put on the phone in the end?? who knows
    07-08-09 05:39 PM
    According to what I read is that the EU is implementing regulations requiring mobiles to use the micro USB for environmental reasons (needing to junk chargers every time you get a new phone). The standardization in other markets is a result of the regulations.
    07-08-09 08:00 PM
    As the owner of a couple of cell phone stores I would love for this to be true. The problem is that changing the charge port is a huge revenue source for everyone involved. Owned a Curve bought a Storm....had to buy a new CLA. Can't even use the Curve's charger to charge at work which I need to do on occasion.

Small fact which most of you probably know. An aftermarket CLA costs me anywhere between .75 and $1.50 and sells for $19.99. Big money.
    You own several cell phone stores and didn't know that anyone can buy a motorola mini-to-micro usb 2inch adapter for about a buck? People don't need to run out and buy all new micro usb chargers. Mini usb chargers plus a $1.00 (retail) adapter will work just fine.
    07-08-09 09:39 PM
    I definitely like this! Just bought my 8900 so hopefully that puts me ahead of the curve...somewhat, so to say.
    07-08-09 11:48 PM
    You own several cell phone stores and didn't know that anyone can buy a motorola mini-to-micro usb 2inch adapter for about a buck? People don't need to run out and buy all new micro usb chargers. Mini usb chargers plus a $1.00 (retail) adapter will work just fine.
    you wont even need to buy an adaptor, i mean the phones will still come with chargers!! also i dont know whats supplied in the nokia N97 in the US but in the UK they suupl an adaptor, as the N97 is micro USB but with the adaptors you can use the small pin size and large pin size (this covers the last 10 years of nokias) chargers, so the move is very underway

and cdr1869 thats a shocking pun lol
    07-09-09 04:10 PM
    About Time! I am now happy because I won't need to buy anymore. I have bought some many chargers for my Storm. Two car chargers, another wall one for work, and two more of the usb ones.

Thanks to the industry.
    07-09-09 04:31 PM
    All very well and good, but now my ridiculously expensive portable charger is nearly useless because the adapter that comes with the N97 (mentioned above) seems to lose a lot of the power. Who knew camping technology would be so expensive!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD