I see all the new BlackBerries (9630, 9700, etc) are using the "new" micro-USB plugs. Actually, eventually all phones will be using that standard, as it was agreed on my various phone mfgs.

...but after personally using both mini and micro USB plugs, I don't really see much difference I guess "micro" is supposed to be smaller, but in reality it takes up about the same amount of real-estate on my phone as the old mini USB did. Is there anything I'm missing here?

03-18-10 03:43 AM
    No way. You could clearly see from the photo that MicroUSB requires a socket about half as big as MiniUSB. The small hole also means less dust will collect inside, which leads me to my next point: I've read somewhere that the MicroUSB is engineered to be more wear-resistant than MiniUSB, to the point where it can withstand around 10x as many connects/disconnects as MiniUSB.
    03-18-10 03:58 AM
    Yea, true, altho the length (long-wise) is identical, the micro is about half as thick (or high). But really, it's not any dramatic improvement, in my opinion. if I look at my old Curve (mini) and my new Tour (micro) sitting side-by-side with the USB cables plugged in, it's hard to see any difference
    03-18-10 04:10 AM
    all the device manufacturers are going to the micro, I guess they are tyring to streamline-one size fits all
    03-18-10 07:40 AM
    Micro USB has better power management. Also a standardised USB platform is a good thing and will reduce environmental waste.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-10 07:43 AM
    When you're talking about devices as thin as they are today, every millimeter counts. Just bought a new bluetooth headset with microusb - there's no way it could be as small as it is if it had miniusb.

03-18-10 07:43 AM
    MicroUSB is dramatically better, it's less stress on the connection from the leverage and the socket is much stiffer/stronger than mini. I hate the microUSB on my Nokia because they gave me a ****ty 5 cm. cable. Once I got my BB handset I was really happy with microUSB.
    03-18-10 07:46 AM
    Plus with every change in hardware it requires you to purchase additional chargers, car chargers, accessories, etc. More cash in the company's pockets.
    03-19-10 12:22 AM
    Exactly. Companies like Sony and Apple are notorious for using their own proprietary standards. I also have a Bluetooth headset that uses MicroUSB and it's great not having to carry around another charger. Heck, I could get away with just a single USB cable.

03-19-10 12:36 AM
    Exactly, my first micro was a Jabra Visor mount and I thought - here we go again - yet another non-standard. Little did I know it was to be the new standard. As long as it continues this way, I'm in favor of one type of connector. Now the Jawbone Icon has it (rather than that oddball one used by Jawbone previously) and my Tour.

I did purchase from Crackberry a tiny little micro to mini converter and I have a few mini to micro converters. So I should be able to swing both ways now!!!!!
    03-19-10 10:23 AM
    Micro USB has better power management. Also a standardised USB platform is a good thing and will reduce environmental waste.

There is no difference in power consumption between the various style plugs.
    03-19-10 11:57 AM
    MicroUSB is dramatically better, it's less stress on the connection from the leverage and the socket is much stiffer/stronger than mini. I hate the microUSB on my Nokia because they gave me a ****ty 5 cm. cable. Once I got my BB handset I was really happy with microUSB.
    100% agree. MicroUSB is much more durable than MiniUSB. Also you are right on that Nokia thing. My sister bought a Nokia XpressMusic 5530, which is overall a great phone, but seriously, she paid a good amount of money and all that's included in the box is a tiny USB cable? Oh come on!
    03-19-10 12:10 PM
    This is a great thread! When I got my 9700 I purchased an OEM charger on eBay for office use. Then I found out about the mini to micro adapters and got three of them. Now I can basically go around with just a wall charger and a car one.

03-19-10 12:51 PM
    No way. You could clearly see from the photo that MicroUSB requires a socket about half as big as MiniUSB. The small hole also means less dust will collect inside, which leads me to my next point: I've read somewhere that the MicroUSB is engineered to be more wear-resistant than MiniUSB, to the point where it can withstand around 10x as many connects/disconnects as MiniUSB.
    What he said . . It's all about durability!
    03-19-10 04:43 PM
    all the device manufacturers are going to the micro, I guess they are tyring to streamline-one size fits all
    ...And trying to reduce the number of proprietary chargers going into landfills.
    03-19-10 06:43 PM
    Micro-USB>Mini-USB
    03-19-10 06:46 PM
    There is no difference in power consumption between the various style plugs.
    ROFL!!! Unless the PSU has short circuit shutdown protection I hope there is zero power consumed by any of the connectors
    03-19-10 07:38 PM
    I like the Idea of them makimg the cables universal. It makes it easier to reuse all of these data cables and charters when you get new devices. I have so many mini usb data cables from all of the okder BlackBerry devices I have owned and u can't use any if them.

03-19-10 07:54 PM
    I like the Idea of them makimg the cables universal. It makes it easier to reuse all of these data cables and charters when you get new devices. I have so many mini usb data cables from all of the okder BlackBerry devices I have owned and u can't use any if them.

Sure you can. Get the mini to micro adapters from Amazon. Less than a buck. Get a bunch.
    03-20-10 11:12 AM
    It's great that they are all going to micro-usb. however i'm finding out that the market for usb cables are not all standard. as in some of them are wired differently or lacking of wires (internally). i've owned 3 different micro usb cables so far. 1. OEM cable came with my storm (charges/syncs) 2. ebay micro usb retractable (charges/syncs). 3. ebay micro retractable bought from different seller (ONLY charges).

i know it's not my computer or phone, because i already tested it on different laptops and different USB ports. additionally i bought 2 of them, so i can say that rules out the cable being faulty. also tested it on the bold 9650 same issue. what baffled me was that i always thought a usb cable was a usb cable. however i'm coming to a conclusion that not all are made the same, possibly to cut costs not all 5 pins are wired.

any thoughts on this?
    06-25-10 11:04 AM
    I can't remember if I read it in a news article or on the radio but GSMA had decided that the Cellphone power/data cable should be standardized. And its based on the USB standard which is nice so situations like the one homieelee described don't happen. Of course Apple is the only member who did not want to participate, but then again when have they ever followed anyone?
    06-25-10 03:35 PM
    Moved to BB Accessories
    06-25-10 03:50 PM
    It's great that they are all going to micro-usb. however i'm finding out that the market for usb cables are not all standard. as in some of them are wired differently or lacking of wires (internally). i've owned 3 different micro usb cables so far. 1. OEM cable came with my storm (charges/syncs) 2. ebay micro usb retractable (charges/syncs). 3. ebay micro retractable bought from different seller (ONLY charges).
    Some of the retractable cables are charge-only... at least, that was my experience with mini-USB retractables for my MotoRAZR. Seems some devices can only use a factory charger or a computer with the drivers installed, so they need a power-only cable without data connections. The MiFi2200 mobile hotspot uses microUSB, but the wifi turns off if it's connected to a computer, so some people clip the power wires in a USB cable so they can charge from a computer and use wifi at the same time.

Best deal on cables is Monoprice. They have flat rate shipping, so I always buy spares, plus stuff like HDMI cables that you get robbed for at other places.

I did buy some 8" microUSB cables on eBay recently because I wanted some really short cables to keep in my briefcase.
    06-28-10 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD