Are all micro USB cables created equally? I am trying to find out if all micro USB cables work for power and data or are some "charge only" micro USB cables?

Also, can anybody suggest a good micro USB cable at a good price? I have read about Monoprice.com. Are they reputable and are their cables good quality?
    03-29-10 11:46 PM
    $9.95 on crackberry site i think their all created equal unless they have some kinda of filter in the middle of the cord. you can also buy and adapter from e-bay for like a dollar that goes from mini usb to micro if you already have a mini usb cable and want to go cheap. here's the link to crackberry micro usb cablehttp://shop.crackberry.com/search.htm?search_terms=micro%20usb
    03-30-10 12:01 AM
    I know all mini usb's aren't the same. Some charge without drivers and some don't. That said, I would like to know of a good source as well.
    04-04-10 12:10 PM
    All USB cables are the same, except for different standard connectors. That's what it means to be a standard. There is no such thing as a charging cable. Not all USB ports can charge all USB devices, because not all USB ports meet the standard, but that's a port issue, not a cable issue.
    04-04-10 12:16 PM
    incorrect dear sir.

2 cables came with by Curve.

1) was the black data cable that will onl charge when the device drivers are present on the computer

2) a white charging cable (may not be the official term) that charges whether or not drivers are installed. (also charges when plugged into a vehicles USB port, a planes USB port etc).
    04-04-10 12:29 PM
    A cable has no way of knowing whether or not a software driver is installed. A software driver has no way of knowing which cable you installed. There are no active components in a standard USB cable.
    04-04-10 12:39 PM

thicker black data cable on the left, thinner charging only cable on the right.

closeup of the charging only cable.

(I would have linked the images, but i dont have enough posts)

This white will not do data transfer. The pc doesnt even recognize a device connected. The black, will do data but will NOT charge the phone without the drivers (contained in the desktop software) installed.
    04-04-10 01:11 PM
    I linked the images for you, but they aren't very clear. Could you take smaller but sharper pictures of just the connector ends?
    04-04-10 01:16 PM

mini side on both.

other end on both

Mini side again.

Large ends (notice the difference in cable size)

mini ends.

The mini cable is about a foot shorter.
    04-04-10 01:35 PM
    I can't see any difference in the connectors. The size of the cable could be a function of the size of the individual conductors inside. It's possible that the charging only cable does not have the data lines connected. That could make it smaller in diameter, if it only had 2 wires instead of 4 or 5. If that's the case, then it would indeed be a charging-only cable, but you could replace it with any other cable that did have all the lines connected.
    04-04-10 01:48 PM
    unfortunately,

they seem to be impossible to find. which means, when this one breaks (and its already on its way), I wont be able to just plug into anyones machine to recharge the phone.

Was looking to get some for work too.
    04-04-10 03:06 PM
    unfortunately,

they seem to be impossible to find. which means, when this one breaks (and its already on its way), I wont be able to just plug into anyones machine to recharge the phone.

Was looking to get some for work too.
    What model curve do you have? I promise you, you can buy USB cables for the 83xx family of devices in the CrackBerry store and the cables will work to charge your curve, assuming it's an 83xx.
    04-04-10 03:14 PM
    I have an 8310 and a 9350. I have already done this. Regular USB cables will work and charge the 8310, but only if the usb drivers (usually via the desktop software) have been installed on the machine. Otherwise, it

with the white cable, the machine doesnt need anything installed, as it doesnt even sense a new device being plugged in. I have a feeling that the data pins are probably combined with the charging pins in order to increase voltage.

to the OP: here is the micro charge-only version.
    curvedepot.com/seidio-micro-usb-charging-cable-5ft/5A19A5177.htm
    Last edited by MaximumCanon; 04-04-10 at 03:31 PM.
    04-04-10 03:23 PM
    You can't increase the voltage output of a USB port by using more conductors. 5V more or less is all you are going to get. That's the USB spec, whether a BlackBerry driver is installed or not. You can lower the cable resistance by paralleling conductors. That would reduce the power loss in the cable and allow more power to reach the device. Whether that would make a difference or not, I don't know. Does your 8310 charge properly using a wall charger?
    04-04-10 03:34 PM
    lowering the resistance increases the voltage seen at the other end. The phone charges fine (including in a wall charger). There are, however, chargeonly cables that will allow one to charge their phone on a machine that is not theirs (thus preventing them from installing equipment). The site provided shows just such a cable.
    amazon.com/Charge-Adapter-Works-Motorola-Blackberry/dp/B000V6WGA0 is the only mini usb I could find.
    04-04-10 03:43 PM
    you can download just the drivers for the device from rim, i keep them on my SD in the phone so i can install the drivers to any pc i plug my phone into... as well as my tetherberry setup for desktops so i can tether from any pc as long as i have my BB and a micro usb cable
    04-04-10 03:57 PM
    lowering the resistance increases the voltage seen at the other end. The phone charges fine (including in a wall charger). There are, however, charge only cables that will allow one to charge their phone on a machine that is not theirs (thus preventing them from installing equipment). The site provided shows just such a cable.
    amazon.com/Charge-Adapter-Works-Motorola-Blackberry/dp/B000V6WGA0 is the only mini usb I could find.
    I agree that a charge-only cable allows you to charge your device without worrying about data being transferred. But that has nothing to do with the electrical characteristics of either the USB port, the cable, or the connector.

Perhaps I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were saying there was a special USB cable that you had to use on devices that didn't have the USB drivers installed. That's what I was disagreeing with. You don't have to use a charge-only cable. You may choose to use one for data protection, but any USB cable will charge your device from any USB port that meets the USB spec of 5VDC, 500mA. If protecting your data is not a concern, then any USB cable in the CrackBerry store will work.

Thanks for the link to the charge-only adapter. I wasn't aware that anyone sold those.
    04-04-10 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD