disclaimer: this is me just venting a little bit, but comments and suggestions are definitely welcome

okay, so i put my invisible shield on last night (i only got the screen protector, not the whole body skin), and I'm not real happy with it right now.

let me preface this by saying that i'm extremely anal when it comes to installing things like this (****, i'm an engineer!) and i've installed many screen protectors before on many different devices, but this was my first time with the type that requires the water solution to be sprayed on, then squeegeed off.

anyway, i followed the instructions to a "T" and watched the videos on the site and then went ahead and applied it. after it was on my bb for about a minute, i peeled it off because there were way too many bubbles to be squeegeed out (they say you can remove it and reapply within a 3-5 minute time frame), sprayed it all again and re-applied, and even used the hair dryer method.

it's currently 12 hours after installation, and there are visible bubbles under the skin, smudges, and i think i can even see one of my fingerprints. (The screen was PERFECTLY clean before installation, so the fingerprint is probably on the skin itself from when I peeled it off, and i KNEW that was gonna happen before i peeled it off, even though i sprayed the solution on my fingertips like they suggest.) I know they say to give it up to 48 hours for the small bubbles and imperfections to disappear, so i'm gonna give it a full 48 hours, but i'm not terribly optimistic, considering the way this thing looks right now.

to Zagg's credit, it actually is a really nice skin - has a nice sheen/gloss to it and the custom cut of it is perfect for my 8330 screen - goes all the way to all of the edges. the installation just sucks.

another thing that I wasn't too happy about was the amount of water/solution that ended up in my earpiece/speaker hole from squeegeeing. i dabbed a corners of a tissue in there and sopped up as much as possible and everything works fine right now, but still... (if it weren't for this, i'd consider ordering another and giving it a second shot, but i'd rather not douse the earpiece of my brand new bb with a second helping of water.)

oh well. in the grand scheme of things, it's just a screen protector. it cost $12. no biggie...except that now I gotta figure out how else to protect my screen when I end up peeling this thing off tomorrow night.
    06-18-08 10:23 AM
    i went through the same **** man, and am also an engineer, lol. i got even more pissed when i ordered the BSE cause it comes with two, only to realize that it is not the same, and the bse has to cover portions of the plastic outside of the screen limits as well.
    06-18-08 10:26 AM
    I have applied zagg products before, first was screen only to a cell phone, second a full body protection for an iPod. Just be patient, even lots of large ugly bubbles, (that happened when I covered my iPod) will fully disappear.It can take up to a week or more until "perfect" just be patient, it's worth the wait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-08 10:34 AM
    I have applied zagg products before, first was screen only to a cell phone, second a full body protection for an iPod. Just be patient, even lots of large ugly bubbles, (that happened when I covered my iPod) will fully disappear.It can take up to a week or more until "perfect" just be patient, it's worth the wait.

I suppose i can extend this thing's stay of execution from 48 hours to a week to see if it really clears up more...i suppose it'll still be protecting my screen during that time anyway. thanks for the tip!
    06-18-08 10:43 AM
    i went through the same **** man, and am also an engineer, lol. i got even more pissed when i ordered the BSE cause it comes with two, only to realize that it is not the same, and the bse has to cover portions of the plastic outside of the screen limits as well.
    it was actually your other thread about this topic that kept me from ordering the 2-pack of BSE skins instead :P What did you ultimately end up doing?

i'm gonna give it a week now i think to see if it works itself out, but i've already been thinking of other alternatives... I've had good results with the 15 pack of Palm protectors and just cutting them to fit specific devices (other phones, my old Palm TX, mp3 players, etc); so I was gonna borrow some tracing paper from an architect in my office to trace the outline of the 8330 screen, then scan the trace into a PDF file, then use that PDF as a raster image in AutoCAD to trace it out nicely and symmetrically to use as a template on one of the Palm protectors. yes, i have too much time on my hands (*this is just a thought for now, but if i end up doing it, i'll post the template on the forums for everyone.)
    06-18-08 10:49 AM
    UH oh, I just bought a BSE the other day and am awaiting it's arrival. I'm not even close to an engineer and don't really have any patience either. =I
    06-18-08 10:50 AM
    UH oh, I just bought a BSE the other day and am awaiting it's arrival. I'm not even close to an engineer and don't really have any patience either. =I
    lol, don't worry you don't have to be. And as far as patience goes, just keep yourself busy, if you MUST use your BB (which obviously you do, who doesn't? lol.) Just pretend the bubbles are permanent and you can't do anything about them, as if it were a scratch. After a week if there are still bubbles and smudges, kick that b*tch to the curb.
    06-18-08 01:36 PM
    skormm's right... you only really need patience for about 15-20 minutes while you install the skin; as for waiting for it to set up and dry, just do it before you go to bed one night like i did. mine got about 7-8 hours worth of time to dry last night and it was fine this morning. the whole "waiting for bubbles and streaks to fix themselves" is just something that'll happen while you're still using your phone - nobody expects for your phone to sit for a week waiting for imperfections to fix themselves, heh.

as for not being an engineer, you're better off - apparently us engineers are having worse luck with these things than the general populus...and in the end, we're still engineers. ugh
    06-18-08 03:01 PM
    as for not being an engineer, you're better off - apparently us engineers are having worse luck with these things than the general populus...and in the end, we're still engineers. ugh
    lol, honestly I can't say I'm surprised. You guys probably make the simple stuff more difficult than it has to be, trying to make sure it's perfect. So used to everything be technical and everything. (Your idea with the Palm protectors, while it's a good idea, is a good example.)
    06-18-08 03:04 PM
    Well at least I know what to stay away from. Thanks for the write up.
    06-18-08 03:04 PM
    lol, honestly I can't say I'm surprised. You guys probably make the simple stuff more difficult than it has to be, trying to make sure it's perfect. So used to everything be technical and everything. (Your idea with the Palm protectors, while it's a good idea, is a good example.)
    well, there's a fair amount of truth to that. most engineers have a tendency to complicate the he|| out of the simplest of tasks and before they know it, they'll spend 3 hours making minute-rice, but this is different. i followed zagg's directions exactly and it still doesn't meet my expectations, which brings up another point... as an engineer, my attention to details and expectations for something like this are probably higher than most peoples'. and that's okay; i don't need everything to be perfect, but the current condition of my skin is enough to bother me because i've never had such a shotty skin install on any other device in my life, but frankly, it probably wouldn't bother most people. (my boss, also an engineer, didn't even notice most of the imperfections.) the best advice i can give to someone who's gonna use an invisible shield skin (or BSE, for that matter) are these two points...

- do whatever you can to minimize getting solution in your bb's earpiece, and

- make sure you get the skin on there right the first time; i don't care what the instructions say about re-applying. i think most of my imperfections resulted from me peeling it off and re-applying it. (And, yes, i accept responsibility for it, but if zagg would have told me to get it right on the first shot, then i wouldn't have attempted a re-application.)

as for my idea about making a template for the Palm protectors - you're absolutely right about that being overkill, and if this wasn't a slow week in the office, i wouldn't even consider it, but sometimes you gotta give your "inner evil genius" a chance to come out and play. unfortunately, my inner evil genius is a nerd with access to engineering design hardware & software I mean, who goes to all of that trouble to cut up a 50-cent piece of plastic?!...except for a bored engineer (Ya know, i did have just a plain ol' square Palm skin on my bb before, i just thought the custom trimming of one would be much cooler...but who knows - the IS skin may clear up in 2 days, too.)

oh well. on the bright side, i now have a new project for my bb
    06-18-08 03:54 PM
    - do whatever you can to minimize getting solution in your bb's earpiece
    Stick a piece of tape over it and squeegee (that is a weird looking word but I looked it up and that is the correct spelling.) But yea... squeegee in a different direction than the ear-piece, preferably towards the sides.
    06-18-08 04:25 PM
    I'm an engineer as well, and unfortunetly, if things like this do not come out perfect, I am not happy!!! Sometimes I rather scrap the entire thing! I can't even give a friend directions without drawings out a perfect map. I'll stop there!
    06-18-08 04:30 PM
    On the 8330, where does the BSE extend to? I know it is a different shell from my 8310, but I was curious because I have heard of people trimming the top of the BSE where it extends over the seem with an exact-o knife. Not the ideal solution, but it would work. I have had BSE (full body skin) on my curve for 5 months and love it. Only sign of lifting is on the long thin sections that go up the side of the screen. Left it overnight, and it looked perfect.

Another option, is calling the people at BSE and asking if they can make a modified one. Or modify it for their next production run. I have heard this complaint a lot, so it seams like their would be a large demand to have a skin that fits the screen better.
    06-18-08 04:53 PM
    Im pretty particular about stuff like this as well. I have never had a fingerprint, but I did get a small hair one time and it drove me nuts.

I have reinstalled these after they have been on several days with some success. If you try this make sure not to stretch the material, and clean off the protector off with bottled water a bit. Then reinstall. i did this a few times when I was replacing Pearls every week because of memory leaks.

If you feel more comfortable get a new protector. I especially like how BSE has a two pack.
    06-19-08 12:32 AM
    You guys got me wondering, haha... I'm not an engineer, but I'm certainly anal about that sort of thing.

Having an issue like that would be worse than the scratches I ALREADY have on my 8830 haha... I'm already contemplating getting a new case for it to fix some desk wear on the back and a scratch on the lens, haha... Maybe that and a BSE would be a good weekend project.

Overall, I'm strangely impressed that this phone generally doesn't scratch as easily as most phones in the first place... I haven't chewed up the side rails yet and that sort of amazes me.
    06-19-08 10:13 AM
    Called Zagg yesterday to replace my shield (lifetime warranty) for my 8310. They were very nice took my CC information to cover postage $3.95 and said it would ship out today. When I get it I am to send back the original to the address indicated. So far I see no problems.
    06-19-08 11:18 AM
    Called Zagg yesterday to replace my shield (lifetime warranty) for my 8310. They were very nice took my CC information to cover postage $3.95 and said it would ship out today. When I get it I am to send back the original to the address indicated. So far I see no problems.
    Yeah, they're supposed to be really good to deal with for that kind of stuff, but they don't cover installation boo-boo's like mine.
    06-19-08 12:24 PM
    I recently installed the InvisibleShield on my Curve and have no issue regarding bubbles, however I managed to trap a dust particle (quite noticeable as a dot). This annoys me a lot and I've had to order another one. Hopefully I won't trap any dust inside it on my second attempt.

06-19-08 12:31 PM
    BSE extends past the top of the screen and past the two sides and around onto the plastic part. and to answer your question JMT, i still have the BSE on there with my black skin covering the sides, so it's not too bad, though there is something under this one as well. looks like maybe a fingerprint, and of course it's bothering me. i will probably try for my other BSE in a week or so, and eventually by my third invisible shield. it has to be possible to get it on there correctly!
    06-19-08 12:36 PM
    my issues were also with a dust particle/finger print.

the bubbles always come out within a week, though i squeegee most out anyways. i also turn my phone on as soon as i get all the water off. no need to have it off for 24hrs.....i figure the heat from the battery will help with evaporation anyhow.

also i was thinking. whynot use a piece of tape to hold the invisishield on the non sticky side, and use that to line it up in one shot? i may try this next time to avoid finger prints and to get it lined up perfectly.
    06-19-08 12:42 PM
    BSE extends past the top of the screen and past the two sides and around onto the plastic part. and to answer your question JMT, i still have the BSE on there with my black skin covering the sides, so it's not too bad, though there is something under this one as well. looks like maybe a fingerprint, and of course it's bothering me. i will probably try for my other BSE in a week or so, and eventually by my third invisible shield. it has to be possible to get it on there correctly!
    keep us posted.

you guys were right about the bubbles - it's been about 40 hours since i installed my IS and there isn't even the tiniest bubble left anywhere. That's really cool. However, I've got 3 or 4 smudges/fingerprints which are annoying me. I'm leaving the skin on for now until i figure out what to do next, but honestly, the whole issue has kinda dropped off of my radar...at least for now.
    06-19-08 01:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD