Hello All,

I got back my 9700 after a replacement. Well just for wrap up, the screen ripple effect is still there and I guess this is a serious design issue in my humble opinon, I tested out 2 other handsets at vodafone and same issue, so I'll live with it.

Now back to the topic. While the precious was away, I decided to surprise his replacement with a l'il christmas gift, so I wandered around on the net and got the products mentioned in the subject. The most important item for me was the screen protector (as I leave my phone in my coat with often coins and keys and having even a tiny scratch on my screen is == to end of love with my precious (yes I know, how must I be in real life ). Ahem, back to the subject. So I was saying most important the screen protector and then the case, that's because I shelled a freak'in 385 quid + 6 for the next day delivery and + 6 to send back the initial product for replacement, son of a goat, so i'd be really tuuuut if I broke it (no insurance inside).

After a long wait (30 hours, yes I timed it, why you don't do it? I'm a geek waiting for his precious and its presents of course 30h are long ...) I got the items as promised.

So here's review and a very honest opinon. Please note that I consider myself as a very demanding person and very detailed orientated [self boasting mode : deactivated]

So let's start with the less important and keep the best for the end:

note: pics, courtesy of my E71 (bad lighting, ahh well ...)

Flexi Shield case

The case feels good in hand, a bit slippery, but good. Feels sturdy, it will protect well your precious. My phone fell off a chair and hopefully it had the case so not a scratch (of course the front is not protected, also why a screen protector is required). Its close to the phone, so the phone doesn't move around when you hold it. The case will not cover the carrier's name if you have it on your phone. Depending on how you type you'll feel the sides of the case if your fingers go near the edges. At the back the holes for the camera and flash are well set and everything sets wel in place. A lil - point is that the case covers the left, right side buttons as well as volume buttons, this is a bit a down point. The LED is not covered so you'll see it fine and the speakers on both sides (front for the phone call, behind for the loudspeaker mode or music) aren't covered, so that's good. All other ports are accessible. Finally, once in the pocket, it doesn't add that much to the initial size, though you can find a bit more thinner cases im sure, but in no way can we say its bulky. Over all this case isn't that bad and is worth it's price, nevertheless i'm still searching for a case. Why? Because I think that it doesn't look that aesthetic. I'm not saying its ugly, otherwise I wouldn't even bother putting it on the phone, its just that I don't think it lives up to the 9700 class. For example I think that the original case that comes with the BB 9K7 is not that bad and can be considered classy but its too big (at least for my pockets) and doesn't offer maximum protection. That's also one of the downsides of the Innocase II, I haven't seen the case in real, but it looks very nice on pics, but the downside is that for sake of convenience the upper left and right buttons are left uncovered for easy access but also unprotected for a fall and that was a no go for me. So if I had to grade this case what will I give it? With all things considered (description of product by manufacturer, price/quality, aesthetics, solidity ...), i'd say .. 3.7/5

Now comes the very good part

Martin Fields screen protector

Note: that on the pictures the screen protector is there.

In short get it. This screen protector is simply excellent. At first I was a bit reserved, the packaging and printing of the companys leaflet on recycled paper (not that I'm against recycled paper ) just gave a cheap feel for a 13 screen protector! (I got them by 2, for 16 go for that one). Also when I got the protector out, I first thought it was too small and that they had sent a protector for another model. Actually, its cut out with a very nice precision. But it gets better, as I laid it over the screen and worked out one bubble, the protector just fitted perfectly. I may be a bit biased, but I think it might have even a bit increased the constrast of the colors). Does it protect well against scratches, well keys, coins, fingers and a pen haven't marked it yet, so for the time being this is good for me . Also you can take the protector off and wash it and put it back on, I haven't tried though, it says so on the doc. that came with it. I haven't tried screen protectors in years, but the last one I tried, marked and marked a lot (had one on my Palm Tungsten T3). This one in comparaison is just awesome. My grade: 4.5/5 ... the 0.5 is because when I get close I can see it ....

I hope this might be of a little help for folks out there asking themselves the questions I was couple of days ago.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Infinityloop; 12-22-09 at 05:48 PM.
    12-22-09 05:33 PM
    nice writeup but I think ill stick with the otterbox impact series
    12-22-09 05:50 PM
    the case looks great, just like the epik resin i just got...i tried searching for your case online, but couldn't find it.

Where did u get it from? And I see in the first picture, that there are cut-outs for the contacts on the bottom...would that work with the charging pod?
    12-22-09 06:31 PM
    So the Martin Fields protector doesn't cover the beveled edges of the screen.
    12-22-09 07:09 PM
    the case looks great, just like the epik resin i just got...i tried searching for your case online, but couldn't find it.

Where did u get it from? And I see in the first picture, that there are cut-outs for the contacts on the bottom...would that work with the charging pod?
    you can find it here FlexiShield Skin For The BlackBerry Bold 9700 - Black

Unfortunately, I can't say for the charging pod if it would fit with the case, but there's a hole at the bottom in the case for the charger.

So the Martin Fields protector doesn't cover the beveled edges of the screen.
    yes it doesn't, but when you look at it, it actually is a good thing, it's less invasive so you see it less
    Last edited by Infinityloop; 12-23-09 at 10:31 AM.
    12-23-09 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD