Rather not use the OEM holster, the fit is way too tight. Also, I realize that it's a great product, I'm not nuts about the bulky Otterbox. Thanks folks!
    08-06-10 01:59 PM
    Otterbox Commuter is not bulky at all... Best....case...ever...made...
    08-06-10 02:00 PM
    Otterbox Commuter is not bulky at all... Best....case...ever...made...
    +1

The Otterbox Defender is huge (because it's built like a tank), but the Commuter is a good all-around, not-too-bulky case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 02:06 PM
    Epik Cases, ftw!
    08-06-10 02:15 PM
    Epik Cases, ftw!
    i just got this but it messes with my trackpad like theres times it wont scroll, and what i have to do is pull the casee of the right side at like the camera button the slightest bit then trackpad works fine

edit: it is because it half pushes on the right button.. goingto have to cut that or somethin
    08-06-10 02:47 PM
    I use the Otter Box Commuter
    08-06-10 03:22 PM
    Maybe I'll have to revisit the Otterbox. A friend of mine works for a construction company and they require ALL people with company BB's to use the Otterbox. It's the HUGE one though. Thanks all!
    08-06-10 03:27 PM
    What are people doing who want to use holster profiles? I love the idea and looks of the otterbox, but I need to be able to have my Bold sleep so I can use the holstered profile settings. I don't want anything that involves a belt clip. What I am using now is the slipcase from a Curve 8330m -- but I wanted some protection for when it's out of the case.

The OP mentions a skin/case combo -- does anyone know of a way to achieve what I am after? Protection out of holster, but still a pretty slim (no clip) way to put it to sleep and stuff it in my pocket? I tried on a gel skin, but it was just too thick to stuff in to the Curve slipcase/holster.
    08-06-10 03:44 PM
    What are people doing who want to use holster profiles? I love the idea and looks of the otterbox, but I need to be able to have my Bold sleep so I can use the holstered profile settings. I don't want anything that involves a belt clip. What I am using now is the slipcase from a Curve 8330m -- but I wanted some protection for when it's out of the case.

The OP mentions a skin/case combo -- does anyone know of a way to achieve what I am after? Protection out of holster, but still a pretty slim (no clip) way to put it to sleep and stuff it in my pocket? I tried on a gel skin, but it was just too thick to stuff in to the Curve slipcase/holster.
    The Otterbox Defender comes with a belt clip you can slip it into. The belt clip has a magnet in it to activate any in-holster profiles you may use.

Edit: I just noticed you said you didn't want anything involving a belt clip. How to you activate in-holster profiles now?

08-06-10 04:31 PM
    Most holsters involve clip or snap in holsters, so I don't particularly understand the question...

Unless you plan on using pouches or cases on top of an existing case? But that seems like overkill anyways...

08-06-10 04:38 PM
    The Otterbox Defender comes with a belt clip you can slip it into. The belt clip has a magnet in it to activate any in-holster profiles you may use.

Edit: I just noticed you said you didn't want anything involving a belt clip. How to you activate in-holster profiles now?
    I just use a pouch from an 8330m....

Most holsters involve clip or snap in holsters, so I don't particularly understand the question...

Unless you plan on using pouches or cases on top of an existing case? But that seems like overkill anyways...
    What I was picturing would probably be a skin that would still fit in a pouch. I don't think it would be overkill, I just think locating the pouch that opens wide enough might be tricky. I saw one that looks like what I have, but the edges have elastic and are mostly open, as opposed to how the Curve pouch is (sewn all around); it seems like this would accommodate.

I did try an Otterbox on today while out, but it was the monster type... I didn't see the Commuter. Maybe it wouldn't be too bulky even with the front part with the clip attached. But then the LED is blocked (I like to see the LED status when it is holstered). I'll look a little further.

I am just trying to avoid as much bulk as I can, since I always carry my Berry in a pocket... but when I *am* using it, a little protection would be nice too.

I appreciate the replies.
    08-06-10 09:58 PM
    The SPRING CLIP from the Otterbox Defender is easy to remove with a needlenose pliers. That way the rest of the holster can be used with the sleep magnet.

As a matter of fact, I not only removed belt clip but also used a hair dryer to soften the holster unit and remold it so it fits my COMMUTER case and the sleep magnet works.
    08-07-10 12:14 AM
    Well, I have the Otterbox defender on my Storm 2 and it is great. However, I also prefer to carry my phone in a horizontal pouch that attaches with belt loops. Most all holster clips including the Otterbox will not fit my belts. They get knocked off and can not be trusted. Therefore, it is not overkill for protection some of us want the pouch, it is so the phone will stay on. I have tried to find universal pouches etc that it will fit in but so far no luck. I have having some new belts made by a custom leather crafter and will have him make a new cell phone case for me as well. If anyone knows of a cell phone pouch with belt loops that will work with an Otterbox Defender for the Storm, please let us know. thank you.

Gary
    08-17-10 11:58 AM
    Bump for anyone with ideas?

Gary
    08-23-10 11:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD