12-28-11 02:25 AM
33 12
tools
    Does anyone use a leather holster for their blackberry torch.. Think its a good item to get to protect your torch?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-11 06:37 PM
    As long as you don't screw up and drop the torch when holstering it, it should be fine.

The holster is made to not fall off the belt so..

06-01-11 06:43 PM
    Holster or pocket pouch?

Holster has a clip for your belt and a flap over the top, while the pocket pouch is like the old pouch's you used to get with your berry.

I have read quite a bit on here about people complaining about the holster flap(the part that goes over the top of the device) coming apart or falling off.

I have the pocket pouch and after 8 months of use it also is strarting to come apart on the inside.
    06-01-11 06:49 PM
    I tried the holster bit when I got my Bold 9700, well 2nd day I dropped it. So I went with the Otterbox and Seidio holsters for the Bold and the Torch. Both have options and come with belt clips if you need them. Downside is they add bulk.
    06-01-11 07:30 PM
    Yeah well I like the phone when there is no case or anything covering it but might consider getting a holster just to carry it around with me

06-01-11 08:07 PM
    Really comes down to how crazy your environment is when your BB is out of the case/holster. I would like to use my device w/o a case. No luck to keep it working tho!
    06-01-11 08:54 PM
    have had my torch since august 2010 and am now on my second holster. so far, have yet to drop mine (knock on wood!). the holsters aren't the most durable though the second is better than the first.

overstock.com (Blackberry Torch Holster Search Results | Overstock.com) has the absolute best price.
    06-01-11 09:02 PM
    I have the OEM leather holster but dislike it. The holster sticks out pretty far and I found myself whacking it into things in cramped aisles. The leather is stiff and the holster seems too tight for the phone.

Somebody else here suggested the Splash Alpha lambskin holster, and I've grown to love it. Sturdy case, lightly padded on the outside, it lays flat against your hip, and like the OEM holsters it has the all-important magnet to trigger the Torch's standby/sleep sensor to extend battery life.

06-02-11 02:08 AM
    I'm using the OEM leather holster that came with my 9700... Last week I dropped my phone (it was inside the holster)... No scratches or problems with the slider, either. Works for me.

06-02-11 02:55 AM
    For me a pocket pouch is the answer. No holsters as they get bumped or I manage to drop the phone on entry. The current case is from Sena, Sena Cases - Designer Leather Cases : BlackBerry case, iPhone case, Treo case, iPod Touch case, and other PDA cases, at 7 months shows no real signs of wear other than some smoothing of the leather as a result of my handling the case. The seams are intact. The inner lining is smooth as ever. Love this one. Next phone will get a Sena case for sure. Looking at the same for the PB, too.

And, no, I have no connection to Sena. Only an ordinary consumer with an appreciation for well made products.
    06-02-11 07:06 AM
    I use a pouch when I'm doing something where I might drop it I.E a night out on the town.
    06-02-11 07:13 AM
    I got the leather pouch with the sensor tag on it, and had close shaves every time I took the phone out. The case has been seasoned for a few months now as well. I swapped over to the Seido Innocase, works much better for me.
    06-02-11 12:25 PM
    I'm not planning on replacing it, but the OEM 9800 leather pocket pouch and holster (I have both) are cheap crap compared to earlier holsters and pouches made by RIM.

The reason it feels "stiff," as one poster mentioned, is because it is made out of cardboard covered with a very thin sheet of embossed leather on the outside and a thin microfiber lining on the inside. Both tend to peel away from the cardboard at the top corners after a number of months of use, revealing: cardboard, which itself separates into its component layers. Lovely. Still, it works despite its somewhat ragtag appearance.
    06-02-11 04:13 PM
    I've shelved the holster once I got the pocket pouch. Been using the pouch for more than 6 months now and no issues as yet.

Although, I agree when folks say both these feel cheap compared to previous OEM products. They just feel different (not in a good way).
    06-02-11 06:39 PM
    Yeah been hearing some good and a lot of bad stuff but I think I am gonna buy it and try to find a good deal online so I don't have to pay retail price for it

whoa likes this.
    06-02-11 08:39 PM
    Sounds like some fun. Let us know what you think of it when you get it!
    06-02-11 08:55 PM
    Neither the OEM 9800 holster nor the 9000 holster activate the sleep magnet - it's in the wrong place for the 9800. I got a pocket pouch off eBay that does the job of protecting it from scratches in the pocket, pads it and most importantly puts it to sleep. The holster looks like a Batman utility belt or uber-Geek.
    06-07-11 05:21 PM
    I have this one... Amazon.com: Leather Pouch Protective Carrying Cell Phone Case for BlackBerry Torch 9800 Curve 3G 9300 9330 Curve 8330 8300 8520 8530 8900 Bold 9700 9780 / ZTE MSGM8 II Cricket / HTC Pure / LG Octane Verizon Vu Plus enV3 VX-9200 Rumor Touch GM730 / Mo
    For $10 shipped, I was not expecting a lot, but it's lasted 9 months of constant use with minimal wear. It is a little big for the torch, but I think it works fine.

_MF
    06-07-11 08:17 PM
    I have the AGF GRT protective shell and the Bold 9000 leather holster. When I first got the holster, the fit was pretty snug. Over the last month or so, it has loosened significantly and now the encased Torch fits quite well. I have even accidentally dropped it on concrete a few times with no bad outcomes!
    06-07-11 09:58 PM
    Neither the OEM 9800 holster nor the 9000 holster activate the sleep magnet - it's in the wrong place for the 9800. I got a pocket pouch off eBay that does the job of protecting it from scratches in the pocket, pads it and most importantly puts it to sleep. The holster looks like a Batman utility belt or uber-Geek.
    Not sure where you're getting this. I've got the OEM 9800 holster and the sleep function works fine.

I've had mine for about 7 months. After 3 months the inside liner started peeling loose and the liner edges began to fray. It became so bad it took two hands to holster the phone - one to hold the lining and another to holster the phone. I had nothing to lose so I sprayed the liner with 3M spray adhesive and let it dry overnight. The liner has held up wonderfully for the last three months. Certainly worth my $10 investment.
    06-08-11 07:02 AM
    Not sure where you're getting this. I've got the OEM 9800 holster and the sleep function works fine.

I've had mine for about 7 months. After 3 months the inside liner started peeling loose and the liner edges began to fray. It became so bad it took two hands to holster the phone - one to hold the lining and another to holster the phone. I had nothing to lose so I sprayed the liner with 3M spray adhesive and let it dry overnight. The liner has held up wonderfully for the last three months. Certainly worth my $10 investment.
    I agree, the OEM holster or pocket pouch designed for the 9800 has the magnet in the correct place to put it to sleep(have both, but prefer the pocket pouch), been using mine for the last 10 months with no issues other then the liner falling apart. Did the same as the above poster about 6 months back and its been fine ever since.
    06-08-11 07:11 AM
    i tried a number of holsters and hard cases and found none of them really fit the phone well so there was still some movement- not what you want if you drop the phone.

So i decided to buy the official leather BB pouch, it adds nearly nothing to the phone size and does a great job protecting the phone from scratches and loose change in my pocket. I have dropped the phone a couple of times (inc. hard surface) whilst in the pouch and it did no damage, not even a scratch.

It even has a magnet (I suspect) inside which stops the phone unlocking whilst in the pouch= REALLY HELPFUL

if you wanted to affix it to your belt like a business man BOSSS then it probably isnt for you....but it looks great also.
    06-08-11 08:01 AM
    Yeah I heard how after a few month or so the holster will start to come apart I'm gonna buy one on amazon and try it out the leather holster for the 9800 looks great tho and hope it is gonna purchase one on Friday

06-08-11 09:01 AM
    i tried a number of holsters and hard cases and found none of them really fit the phone well so there was still some movement- not what you want if you drop the phone.

So i decided to buy the official leather BB pouch, it adds nearly nothing to the phone size and does a great job protecting the phone from scratches and loose change in my pocket. I have dropped the phone a couple of times (inc. hard surface) whilst in the pouch and it did no damage, not even a scratch.

It even has a magnet (I suspect) inside which stops the phone unlocking whilst in the pouch= REALLY HELPFUL

if you wanted to affix it to your belt like a business man BOSSS then it probably isnt for you....but it looks great also.
    ive had mine for just over 3 months, and it still looks new. When youre on amazon make sure you get the official BB case as there are other fake ones flying around. The BB logo should be in chrome and the case real leather. There is no writing inside the case, and there should be a red stitch on the top left of the case
    06-09-11 05:30 AM
    Plus the $15 for the spray adhesive.
    06-09-11 07:09 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD