When I first got my Storm I used a Piel Frama leather case from my old Palm Treo. It had a magnetic clip. It protected the Storm and didn't put it to sleep when I closed the magnetic clip. But it wasn't designed for the Storm: leather strip over the screen, wrong cutouts, etc. So I ordered a Piel Frama case for the Storm.

The PF case is gorgeous, with great workmanship. But it came with a button clip instead of a magnetic clip. Since I find the magnetic clip much more convenient, I wrote to Piel Farma to ask why they used the button clip. They told me that the magnetic clip put the Storm to sleep. I searched the forum and found that some models of BB have this problem with some magnetic clips.

But for the life of me, when I run the magnetic clip from the old case over the Storm, I can't get it to put the Storm to sleep.

So, is there a problem with magnetic closures and the Storm?

If there isn't, Piel Farma missed the boat, which is too bad since since it's otherwise a very nice case.
    01-10-09 01:19 PM
    I'm almost positive that people who buy cases with the magnet buy them so that the phone WILL go to sleep. They want it to save battery when it is in their holster. The verizon storm holster cases have the magnet for the purpose of putting it to sleep. I don't have one so I'm not sure, but I"m almost positive that you still get messages and alerts like normal, but your phone conserves battery.

The reason your old case most likely didn't put the phone to sleep was because the magnet sensor in the storm is in a certain place, that only the verizon storm holster cases match up with to sleep the phone.
    01-10-09 01:22 PM
    if you get a washer a small one and place it on the back of the storm in the middle it will put the phone to sleep mode, it does not need to be a magnet,

all i did was cut out a piece of bristol board to the size of the inside of my curve pouch and placed the washer on it and covered it with black tape to hold the washer in place, put it into the pouch and now when i put my storm into it it puts the phone to sleep mode,

im sharing this cause it open the door to other cases, this way you are not limited to cases.

ill take some picks to show what im talking about
    01-10-09 01:29 PM
    here are the picks

it works great , and remember it does not need to be a magnet, just a washer
    01-10-09 01:34 PM
    if you get a washer a small one and place it on the back of the storm in the middle it will put the phone to sleep mode, it does not need to be a magnet,

all i did was cut out a piece of bristol board to the size of the inside of my curve pouch and placed the washer on it and covered it with black tape to hold the washer in place, put it into the pouch and now when i put my storm into it it puts the phone to sleep mode,

im sharing this cause it open the door to other cases, this way you are not limited to cases.

ill take some picks to show what im talking about
    Thanks, Maxum. I think you're right: the sweet spot is about 2 inches above the bottom. That's where a magnet puts the Storm to sleep.

But I noticed that the magnet doesn't put the Storm to sleep where the PF clip is: about an inch above the bottom.

That means that if PF had used the magnet where the button clip is, it would not have put the phone to sleep. Too bad. The case is really lovely apart from that.

Or thinking of it from another point of view, if they had made the magnet an option 2 inches above, those who wanted a magnet-battery-saving option, could have chosen that. Those who wanted no sleep could have chose a PF case with a magnet clip in the usual place.
    Last edited by selmeralto; 01-10-09 at 01:43 PM.
    01-10-09 01:40 PM
    And here's an example of the Verizon Storm case with the magnet/sleep option.

Thanks to Maxum and SaMaster for helping to clarify this.
    01-10-09 01:51 PM
    Very useful information Maxum.

Although after playing around with his hints I suspect that Maxum's washer is actually magnetized or conducts the field of the magnet in the phone (possibly from the motor for vibration alerts) that is about an inch closer to the buttons to the sensor.

This does open up the case choices...
    01-10-09 01:54 PM
    I have a NiteIze holster that I bought at the verizon store. I carefully took off the velcro latch and installed a pair of magnets from an old cell phone case. Works beautifully, every time I holster my storm it puts it to sleep, locks the key pad, goes to vibrate mode and runs memory cleaner. Gotta' love it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 07:47 PM
    Funny you should say that. I just cannibalized my old Piel Frama case for the magnets and installed them with Gorilla glue on the Storm case. Not very elegant but it works well.
    Last edited by selmeralto; 01-11-09 at 10:36 AM.
    01-10-09 10:07 PM
    Maxum, I have never seen a case like that in any store. I looks like a great case, where did you get that. PM me with the info if you could.
    01-10-09 10:14 PM
    Funny you should say that. I just cannabalized my old Piel Frama case for the magnets and installed them with Gorilla glue on the Storm case. Not very elegant but it works well.
    Funny you should say Gorilla glue, that's what I used as well. I was able to pull back some stitching and put them under my nylon holster so they're not visible.

01-11-09 03:51 AM
    Works beautifully, every time I holster my storm it puts it to sleep, locks the key pad, goes to vibrate mode and runs memory cleaner.
    I have looked for these options on the phone but can't seem to nail them down. Where are the settings to lock the key pad/vibrate/mem cleaner when holstered? I am probably looking right at it, just didn't know those were options.

That would be fantastic if it would go to vibrate mode when holstered, because that's the only time I want it on vibrate. It goes to sleep (I think) inside my Verizon-store bought case, but if it can do those other options I would be interested in finding out how to activate them in the case!

EDIT: I have located the settings for the vibrate (sound settings) and am tinkering around with that. I have it in vibrate mode already, but it vibrates and makes the sound. Strange... Still looking for the keypad lock and mem cleaner...
    Last edited by Todd M; 01-11-09 at 08:00 AM.
    01-11-09 07:44 AM
    I have looked for these options on the phone but can't seem to nail them down. Where are the settings to lock the key pad/vibrate/mem cleaner when holstered? I am probably looking right at it, just didn't know those were options.

That would be fantastic if it would go to vibrate mode when holstered, because that's the only time I want it on vibrate. It goes to sleep (I think) inside my Verizon-store bought case, but if it can do those other options I would be interested in finding out how to activate them in the case!

EDIT: I have located the settings for the vibrate (sound settings) and am tinkering around with that. I have it in vibrate mode already, but it vibrates and makes the sound. Strange... Still looking for the keypad lock and mem cleaner...
    I can't figure out how I did the lock thing, my guess is it's automatic for BBs when they sense nearby magnetic fields. As I slide the storm in the holster I see the back light go out then when I pull it back out the screen is locked.

As for your second question about the memory cleaner,
    Go to Options | Security Options | Memory Cleaning
    Set Status to Enabled and Clean when holstered to Yes

01-11-09 02:50 PM
    I can't figure out how I did the lock thing, my guess is it's automatic for BBs when they sense nearby magnetic fields. As I slide the storm in the holster I see the back light go out then when I pull it back out the screen is locked.

As for your second question about the memory cleaner,
    Go to Options | Security Options | Memory Cleaning
    Set Status to Enabled and Clean when holstered to Yes

I see the backlight go out when I holster it, but it doesn't come out of the holster locked, unless I lock it prior to holstering it. Hmmm...

Thanks for the other. Will do that now! Epic forum.
    01-11-09 03:30 PM
    I see the backlight go out when I holster it, but it doesn't come out of the holster locked, unless I lock it prior to holstering it. Hmmm...

Thanks for the other. Will do that now! Epic forum.
    Mine definitely locks as I have to unlock every time I pull it out. Hmm

01-11-09 03:35 PM
    Yo Todd M.!!!!! I just found out how I did it. Go to Options | Password and set Lock Handheld Upon Holstering to YES.

01-11-09 03:54 PM
    Yo Todd M.!!!!! I just found out how I did it. Go to Options | Password and set Lock Handheld Upon Holstering to YES.

I was just coming here to post that same thing as well!!! Great find, and thanks for the responses!
    01-11-09 04:00 PM
    Thanks, Maxum. I think you're right: the sweet spot is about 2 inches above the bottom. That's where a magnet puts the Storm to sleep.

But I noticed that the magnet doesn't put the Storm to sleep where the PF clip is: about an inch above the bottom.

That means that if PF had used the magnet where the button clip is, it would not have put the phone to sleep. Too bad. The case is really lovely apart from that.

Or thinking of it from another point of view, if they had made the magnet an option 2 inches above, those who wanted a magnet-battery-saving option, could have chosen that. Those who wanted no sleep could have chose a PF case with a magnet clip in the usual place.
    Maybe exact placement of the magnets is not too critical. Mine align about 1inch below the ear piece(display side). Then again my magnets are pretty strong and they are the same size as a dime.

01-11-09 05:12 PM
    That's about where I think the sweet spot is. I was just estimating.
    01-11-09 05:52 PM
    Here are a few pictures of my modified Piel Frama case. I used a Dremel tool to cut off the tip of the clip button and used Gorilla glue to attach magnets from an old case. It's not the most elegant job -- the clip is a little bulkier than it might be and the metal is visible, not covered with leather -- but it works. With the magnet in this position there appears to be no effect on sleep or on any other function.
    01-12-09 08:23 AM
    And here's a picture of the phone in the case.
    01-12-09 09:09 AM
    I got a $15 case from ebay and it works flawlessly.
    01-12-09 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD