Anyone else have this problem? Since I have my new BB Curve in a leather case that we bought at AT&T when we purchased the phone, I set off security in every store I walk in to. Today at Target I just waved the leather case alone through the security thing and it beeps. The security tried to deactivate it to no avail. I stopped by a Sprint store because it was closest and the rep told me that it was the magnet in it that was setting off the security and there is nothing I can do about it.

Am I the only one with this problem? It is a leather case with a strap that goes over the top. Will I need to hold my phone up every time I enter a store as the Sprint Rep suggested?

Any comments or insight would be gratefully appreciated.

TIA

Thanks,
    ~Jazzi~
    8310 Curve
    OS 4.5.0.99
    Windows XP Home SP3
    Last edited by Jazzi-Rocks; 01-21-09 at 03:57 PM.
    01-21-09 03:52 PM
    I've never heard of a sleeper magnet in a holster ever setting of security gates... I would try a different case.
    01-21-09 04:09 PM
    There is an rfid in the case, if it is not visible take it back to where you bought it and have them deactivate it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 04:11 PM
    OMG! Thank you so much! I will definitely take it back and have them deactivate it. I thought I was the only person in the world with this issue. LOL I have searched the case inside and out and cannot find anything. Being a brand new owner, so far this has been my only problem thus far, however its been maddening.

I appreciate it! No one had an answer for me anywhere else, so I figured I was screwed. Crackberry and its users RULE!!
    01-21-09 07:12 PM
    Your welcome. Hopefully the store can deactivate it or replace it.

01-21-09 08:08 PM
    There is an rfid in the case, if it is not visible take it back to where you bought it and have them deactivate it.

No, there isn't. There's a tiny little magnet in there, nothing more. Hence why if you search "magnet blackberry sleeper" on Google, you'll get a few thousand hits.
    01-24-09 01:48 AM
    Meh. I'm bored, so I'll throw a little more in.

Jazzi, don't go anywhere to get anything "deactivated". You can "deactivate" your magnet simply by cutting a small slit in the case and sliding it out. It's in the "raised" strip of the case, closer to the bottom.

More info; (since I'm not allowed to post URL's yet, add the correct hyper text transfer protocol abbrv. in front of this) forums.crackberry.com/f52/diy-sleeper-magnet-holster-16657/

I'm not sure why you're setting off so many gates. Most gates today are of frequency sweep style, a magnet will have nothing to do with them. You have probably seen the "antenna" before in lots of things. They're typically ~1.5" sq pieces of paper with metallic traces on them. Though now that I think about it, Walmart and I believe Target use acousto-magnetic systems now and a small magnet could infact set them off, though they shouldn't alarm unless they also receive the proper frequency from the AM tag. I dunno.

Cut the magnet out. If that doesn't take care of it, are you sure you haven't left something in your purse, etc?
    01-24-09 02:22 AM
    Don't cut the magnet out. The rfid is what emits the frequency, that's what you need to get out or deactivate. A magnet will not set off the alarms.

01-24-09 10:38 AM
    Don't cut the magnet out. The rfid is what emits the frequency, that's what you need to get out or deactivate. A magnet will not set off the alarms.

The problem lies that there isn't ANY RFID IN THE OEM HOLSTER!
    01-24-09 12:37 PM
    But there very well may be in an aftermarket case. Can you show where the OP said it was an OEM case? What I got out of the post was that he baught "a" leather case at the AT&T store.

01-24-09 12:43 PM
    I have a sleeper magnet case and never set off an alarm. I goe with the RFI theory. Something is unique here. Do not remove the magnet yet.

01-24-09 12:48 PM
    There has to be something in the case that is setting off the alarm.

Don't cut your case up and take the magnet out, I would say that when you bought the case they forgot to "swipe" it over the pad that deactivates the little metal thing that will set off the alarm and is supposed to prevent theft.

Just like when you buy a movie or game, the little tab is put in there by the maker of the item, not the store, so more than likely whoever makes the case adds in a little strip somewhere somehow inside the case itself and the clerk just missed swiping it.
    01-28-09 05:12 PM
    There has to be something in the case that is setting off the alarm.

Don't cut your case up and take the magnet out, I would say that when you bought the case they forgot to "swipe" it over the pad that deactivates the little metal thing that will set off the alarm and is supposed to prevent theft.

Just like when you buy a movie or game, the little tab is put in there by the maker of the item, not the store, so more than likely whoever makes the case adds in a little strip somewhere somehow inside the case itself and the clerk just missed swiping it.
    Yip, RFID.
    01-28-09 05:15 PM
    I love the interaction here between members. LOL. and my vote is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RFID . Besides the magnet in the case is meant to put your phone into sleep mode..
    01-31-09 07:32 PM
    +1 or put a password on you rBlackberry
    02-06-09 11:23 PM
    IMO - don't worry about it.

This happens to me often when wearing new jeans and having forgotten to cut the tag out. Generally the alarm sounds on the way in, so I make sure they get a good look at me so I don't run into problems on the way out.

If they do stop me on the way out, I tell them it's the pants and offer to strip (making some joke about my boxers, or that I didn't forget to shower that morning). Generally they smile/laugh and let me go about my business.

No way I'd butcher something that works as it was designed.
    02-13-09 10:47 AM
    My leather holster also sets off some doors, especially at Target. I did not get my case retail so I know it is nothing other than the magnet part itself and I'm really not worried about it since I know it will happen sometimes.
    02-13-09 11:14 AM
    Recently I went into the AT&T store and complained about this problem and the "manager" gave me my card and said, "that's interesting... give me a call when you figure it out." Wow, what service...

Meanwhile I've done a strip search of myself after getting tired of setting off every security system in the mall and stores such as target, old navy, and gap to name the most common problems. I have figured this out finally! I have passport card with an RFID. Therefore, anyone with one of these new "smart" passport cards or licenses will probably experience the same thing.

I don't care what all the "security experts" on all the different sites say but it's not the passport card alone. It's when the blackberry bold is in close proximity to my wallet which has the passport card. If I walk into the store with the phone in my hand completed stretched from my body, it doesn't set it off. I don't think I should have to walk through security systems with my wallet in one hand and phone in the other just so I don't get embarassed everytime I enter a store. I'm sure neither the federal government or blackberry will do anything about this since either one really cares about customer service. I guess I can't leave the county and use my blackberry "world" phone at the same time...
    03-27-09 08:24 PM
    I wonder if something on the berry is triggering the RFID on your passport card and the security devices are picking it up. The Berry emits RF by nature and being in close proximity may be triggering the RFID on your card. Normally it woudn't be activated by the security systems, but perhaps it is being activated by the Berry and the security systems are seeing it and alert.

Just a theory.
    03-29-09 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD