Hey guys, Ive been doing a little searching and cant find much of anything about Knock off Chargers... I found a listing on EBay for (5) OEM blackberry Micro USB chargers for $19.95 with free shipping so I went ahead and ordered them thought hum always need a extra charger... So anyway got them in and hadnt had much time to play with them... So tonight I got my charger that came with my pearl flip along with (8350i charger 7520 charger etc) and started to compare them to the ones I bought. First thing I noticed is there a good bit shorter than the other chargers. Then I started to inspect the chargers more closely Looking at the End that plugs in to the phone it feels to have been Crimped on ( due to the indentions in the plastic casing) plus I just notice more things that make me think there not OEM
    So my question is have any of you guys ever seen a knock off oem charger?

: MODEL: PSM05R 050CHW ( R )
    : RIM PART NO ( HDW-17957-003 )
    : INPUT ( 100 240V C,A 50-60Hz 0,15A 10-20VA )
    : OUTPUT (5V C,C, 0,5A )
    Barcode reading - : PH58885113A1
    This is the info on the charger
    08-30-10 02:30 AM
    Bought 2 off Amazon a couple weeks ago, advertised as OEM for $7 delivered. They aren't OEM, I complained, no reply, complained again, finally got a reply back "they are definitely OEM, I use them myself". Finally took photos of a REAL BB charger next to theirs and again demanded a refund. Finally got it. Avoid dealing with "Unlocked Cell Phone Kings". They commit postal fraud too, put a 1 ounce first class stamp on no matter what they're shipping according to their feedback.
    Lesson learned, you get what you pay for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-10 05:01 AM
    Question is, do the chargers even charge the blackberry at all?

OEM or not, a general micro or mini USB charger will work on their respected devices, regardless of branding, because they are bare when made before even being branded with a logo.

08-30-10 05:08 AM
    Hey guys, Ive been doing a little searching and cant find much of anything about Knock off Chargers... I found a listing on EBay for (5) OEM blackberry Micro USB chargers for $19.95 with free shipping so I went ahead and ordered them thought hum always need a extra charger... So anyway got them in and hadnt had much time to play with them... So tonight I got my charger that came with my pearl flip along with (8350i charger 7520 charger etc) and started to compare them to the ones I bought. First thing I noticed is there a good bit shorter than the other chargers. Then I started to inspect the chargers more closely Looking at the End that plugs in to the phone it feels to have been Crimped on ( due to the indentions in the plastic casing) plus I just notice more things that make me think there not OEM
    So my question is have any of you guys ever seen a knock off oem charger?

: MODEL: PSM05R 050CHW ( R )
    : INPUT ( 100 240V C,A 50-60Hz 0,15A 10-20VA )
    This is the info on the charger
    First thing that makes it look like a knockoff to me is that the output amperage is only 0.5A. Most (if not all) BB chargers that I have seen have a 0.7A (700mA) output rating. This could result in charging problems (not enough power) and will definitely increase charge time. I would return these (if you can) and buy a higher output (and higher quality) charger, you will not be sorry for spending a few extra dollars. Try amazon, I have never had a problem from them. Good luck.
    08-30-10 02:20 PM
    yeah, when it comes to batteries and chargers, I only buy from the source (in this case, it would be my local, VZW store) or some reputable dealer. It's always tempting to get the cheap-o brands, but I know for a fact that if it's OEM, it's going to cost close to retail, not some super discounted thing.

Just this weekend, a good friend of mine, who is NOT a techie, called for help with his 5 year old, LG 8300 clamshell phone. I remember this phone, I had one myself and it was a great phone (still have it in a drawer as an emergency backup device). His battery was no longer holding a charge and he was in a panic. I told him the issues (could be the battery, the phone or the charger) but given the age, I suspected the battery. I looked online for him and found a bunch of batteries for as little as $3.00 each. He wanted to get one but I told him that unless he wanted to risk a fire, he was better off finding the real thing. Ultimately, his local VZW dealer still had 7 in stock (they're discontinued and had a 20% off sale price) but wound up paying $25.00 each. He bought two of them, lol. I told him he could have easily bought a whole new, more modern phone for that money, but he's the type that says "it works, it sends/receives calls perfectly, why get a new one?" At least now, he's reasonably assured that his battery is really, an OEM.

I have to admit though, that when I first got my Storm 2, I purchased a Seidio wall charger from the CB store here. It's 500 mA but seems to work just fine with charging my spare battery. Go figure.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 08-30-10 at 02:45 PM.
    08-30-10 02:42 PM
    A Tmo rep gave me on included with my 9700...

it works fine, but the charger itself gets hot...no problems with the charging though!
    08-30-10 05:41 PM
    Got 3 chargers off of Amazon through a 3rd party seller for $4 each. I've been using them since June. No problems as of yet. Not sure if they're OEM or not. As long as they work I'm good.

08-30-10 07:16 PM
    Got 3 chargers off of Amazon through a 3rd party seller for $4 each. I've been using them since June. No problems as of yet. Not sure if they're OEM or not. As long as they work I'm good.

Just like you said, as long as it works and charges, they're good as gold

08-30-10 07:22 PM
    I always use the cheapest charger I can get, never had a problem. Of course, I also make sure the specs are the same. I'm sure they're all made in the same factory in China by the same kids.
    08-30-10 08:23 PM
    I got a spare one for $9.99 from this place in the US and it's OEM

Blackberry Micro USB Travel / Home Charger for 8220 8900 9650 9630 9530 9700
    08-30-10 09:27 PM

just shop crackberry store and get a good one
    08-30-10 10:05 PM
    Hey guys thanks for all the reply... I got a email from the place i bought them from in to a reply from what i said and there responce was

Dear Drew,
    Sorry abuot that but these charger are 100% original blackberry
    How you see that they fake?

My responce to there
    Let?s see. They are ALL different Lengths compared to the chargers that came with my blackberry?s (8220, 8350i, 7520, 7100g Need I go on?) and due to the indentions in the plastic casing of the part that plugs in to the phone. All OEM blackberry chargers are 700MAH not 500MAH. Cable on the chargers is a different quality then OEM. Again need I go on?

( now my Lengths, im not talking just a little.. im talking a good bit of noticeable diffrence when you have them layed out next to a oem bb charger )

There next resonce
    Dear Drew,
    Please send which part # u got

my responce
    : MODEL: PSM05R – 050CHW ( R )
    : INPUT ( 100 – 240V C,A 50-60Hz 0,15A 10-20VA )

( if you guys would like me to i woudl be happy to do a side by side with my OEM OEM bb charger to there "OEM" Chargers so you guys could see the diffrences )
    Last edited by Drew10162003; 08-30-10 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Added more information to the content
    08-30-10 10:52 PM
    Ever since the eBay travel charger that melted, came apart, and almost caught my truck on fire, I am VERY careful what charger I buy and where it comes from!
    08-31-10 01:05 AM
    To anyone considering a non oem charger, if the specifications don't match exactly, you run the risk of warping and or damaged your battery permanantly! Spend a few bucks more and get the real deal.

08-31-10 08:48 AM
    To anyone considering a non oem charger, if the specifications don't match exactly, you run the risk of warping and or damaged your battery permanantly! Spend a few bucks more and get the real deal.

Is there documentation on this?
    The BlackBerry can also be charged when connected to a computer or laptop through the USB port. I'm sure not all computers are equal, and a slight variance in power supplied to the port can vary.

08-31-10 09:17 AM
    Here's an article everyone should read.
    5 Things To Know When Purchasing A Cell Phone Charger

08-31-10 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD