I need some help finding a BlackBerry accessory that will extend my battery.

I'm getting ready to go on a four day trip with my family and won't have access to any power outlets for the entire trip (riding on a converted train track and camping along the way). The blackberry will have a couple of movies and some music loaded on it to help entertain my kids during the trip. So I'm worried about the battery dying after day one.

So far, I've searched the forums and have found:

Another forum post requesting something similar but most responded with the extended battery. I think my situation is different, I won't have the option of recharging via an outlet for some time.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/advi...charger-48973/

Seidio 2600mAh Extended Battery for BlackBerry Curve 8310 - This looks great, I think I need one regardless of the trip! But still won't last four days.

http://shop.crackberry.com/seidio-26...medium=content

Cellet Emergency Charger for BlackBerry Curve 8310 - Looks OK, but I'm skeptical that this won't really give me enough juice to recharge. I'm OK with bringing a pack of 12 AA batteries to keep it going. Anyone have any experience with this, will it work for me?

http://shop.crackberry.com/cellet-em...medium=content

PowerMonkey Explorer - This looks pretty cool. A little more $$ than I wanted to spend for occasional use. Anyone know where I could find one of these in Canada? Or good mail order from US?
    powertraveller powermonkey-eXplorer solarslave portable charging power

Any other options out there? A google search returned an interesting comment about Motorola creating a bicycle generator charger that would be perfect! I would love to get a small generator that would spin off my rear tire and charge a battery that I could plug my BlackBerry into. This would be the ultimate solution for me!

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts you can provide!

And yes, I know it is a bit sad that I'm getting away from it all on a bike trip and camping and the whole time I'm worrying about how to keep my BlackBerry going!
    07-16-08 02:09 AM
    There are solar powered chargers. But its only a 4 day trip. Perhaps just buy 2 or 3 standard BB batteries to put in when one runs out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 08:31 AM
    econvergence: The Cycle Charger

bicycle charger, has a cigarette lighter receptacle to plug in your phone charger. $90 USD.

ignore the cellet AA charger. all of those are complete trash. bottom line, it doesnt produce enough current to operate your phone or charge it for that matter.
    Last edited by oakie; 07-16-08 at 10:12 AM.
    07-16-08 10:09 AM
    There are solar powered chargers. But its only a 4 day trip. Perhaps just buy 2 or 3 standard BB batteries to put in when one runs out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I second. Ive seen standard batteries online for around $10 just get 2-3 charge em up and your set also three will still be lighter than any other solar or etc. gizmo you find and as a fellow cyclist I know how important weight is. Have a safe ride GO GO GO
    07-16-08 10:21 AM
    Thanks oakie, the econvergence generator looks close to perfect. $90 seems a bit steep for something that looks like it is the same as the generator that run a $20 bike light 15 years ago. Anyone have any experience with this one? Or any comments about charging a battery with voltages that would be jumping up and down with bicycle speed.

I'm currently leaning toward the idea of multiple batteries. Not sure what I'm going to do with them after the trip though! I normally make it through the day without needing to recharge.

In case someone is interested, here's the results of my google research:

Motorola has a good solution, but they are rolling it out to Third World countries.
    Motorola to roll out cellphone-charging bicycle in "emerging markets" - Engadget

A company in Australia seems to have the right idea, but it is using an internal hub. More efficient but I want something that I can move from bicycle to bicycle and I only need it for 2% of my rides. I also found their website a bit confusing and I couldn't find any pricing information.
    Home

Maybe I need something like this concept trailer developed by a Paul Smith, a final year design student at University of Derby in England.
    Bicycle Design: Navitas bicycle trailer/generator concept

Found a related patent for it:
    Electrical component holder for bicycle - Patent EP1520773

Aha, found another one like the one at Convergence Tech by IKON Global Ltd. But they do not sell directly.
    Pedal & Power

And just because I'm a cycling fanatic, here's an interesting site for creating a commuter bike (and includes a cell phone charger).
    Commute Bikes in the U.S.

Anything else out there?
    07-16-08 03:11 PM
    Thanks oakie, the econvergence generator looks close to perfect. $90 seems a bit steep for something that looks like it is the same as the generator that run a $20 bike light 15 years ago. Anyone have any experience with this one? Or any comments about charging a battery with voltages that would be jumping up and down with bicycle speed.
    the voltage sweeps wont cause a problem. just inefficient charging.

and yes, the price is steep... priced for people who dont know how to wield a soldering iron. yes, you could use one of those headlamp generators, but most of them are 6v generators, so you'd have to step it up to 12v or find a 12v generator. the latter would obviously be much more efficient.
    07-16-08 06:21 PM
    You can buy a small battery pack like off ebay for the phone. Though I doubt it is environmentally smart considering all the batteries your going to have to throw out.
    07-16-08 07:34 PM
    I would have to think that having 2 - 3 extra batteries would not be the perfect answer. Playing movies would probably do a good job of sucking the juice out of a battery, and you might have 4 batteries along and find out you really need 5. And what would you do with all of those batteries once you come home?

The PowerMonkey Solar Charger looks like it would be quite useful both during your trip and once you come home again, depending on how often you have anything happening in Vancouver that might zap your electricity for 3 days. (I'm in Hurricane Country; we think about these things.)

Good luck, happy hunting, and let us know what you get, and how it works out on your trip!
    07-16-08 07:42 PM
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. For this trip I went with two spare batteries and it worked perfectly. Once I was out of service range I turned the radio off. It was wild, four days of NO e-mail, NO phone calls, NO text messages. I think everyone should try it once in a while. I've never been so relaxed. I was amazed with how long one battery lasted when the radio was off, even when listening to MP3s, watching movies and reading e-books. Although I did burn up one battery keeping my GPS with bbTracker going for nine hours. Yes, I probably should have ditched technology all together on my camping trip, but one step at a time .

I'm going to investigate the solar charger for my next trip. I agree, I think that would probably work the best.
    07-23-08 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD