03-21-09 07:57 PM
32 12
tools
    WOW this thing is BULKY! LOL! I knew it would be on the hefty side though, now my Bold is Category 7 protected! Overall I like it because i'm rough with my devices and tend to drop them from time to time. It is not pocket friendly and I dont like to wear my BB on my hip, so I need to figure something out there... It is triple protected with a first layer of clear plastic which doesnt work well on the screen(bubbles) but on the keyboard I love it! The second layer is a rugged composite frame, and the third layer is a silicone skin. The trackball is a little difficult to use now, just take some getting used to. All the convenience keys work great, speaker phone and ear speaker work great. Typing is now easier as the keys have more grip from the clear plastic cover. Well thats my little review(not that anybody asked) I f anyone has a question about the Defender just ask. Here r some comparison shots next to my gf's Bold.
    01-06-09 02:34 PM
    yea that is ugly
    01-06-09 03:02 PM
    LOL its just sooo big. but hey, thats the price to pay for a fully protected phone
    01-06-09 03:19 PM
    That reminds me of my old NEC TurboExpress!

01-06-09 04:24 PM
    That's a great set of photos, they really give a clear perspective on the size difference. Is the otterbox bulletproof?
    01-06-09 04:37 PM
    I've always wanted an otterbox b/c I am an ATT tech that works out in the elements. I think it looks fine for what it's for, ultimate protection. If I actually used my phone when working outside, then yes, I'd get it in a heartbeat. However, I would like to take everything off for when I'm not at work quickly and I don't see that happening. I just leave the Bold in the work truck and check up on it every now and then. Thanks for the pics, I like seeing actual user photos of products in use.
    01-06-09 05:53 PM
    That's a great set of photos, they really give a clear perspective on the size difference. Is the otterbox bulletproof?
    Thanks, yes it does seem pretty bullet proof! Only thing I could see go wrong would b if the screen or keyboard took a direct hit.
    01-06-09 09:38 PM
    The silicone skin layer is nice to use alone..also
    01-06-09 09:41 PM
    I've always wanted an otterbox b/c I am an ATT tech that works out in the elements. I think it looks fine for what it's for, ultimate protection. If I actually used my phone when working outside, then yes, I'd get it in a heartbeat. However, I would like to take everything off for when I'm not at work quickly and I don't see that happening. I just leave the Bold in the work truck and check up on it every now and then. Thanks for the pics, I like seeing actual user photos of products in use.
    I'm an auto mechanic so Bold protection is what I need. I know I will b taking it out when not around a work environment after I get my Zagg Invisible Shield, because its like lugging around a suitcase. I'm glad I could get a side by side user shot out there, because I didnt see any prior to purchasing it.
    01-06-09 09:43 PM
    The silicone skin layer is nice to use alone..also
    It wont work alone, its designed to fit around the composite frame. Sorry...
    01-06-09 09:45 PM
    Heres some pics of the seperate pieces
    01-06-09 09:56 PM
    Thank you for the review and Pics.
    I will not be buying that, I'll take my chances naked.
    It does make sense in your line of work though. Enjoy!!
    01-06-09 10:02 PM
    I went with their impact series. its smaller, lighter and just the right protection for those accidental falls from my pocket or dashboard.... and its easy to get the bold in and out of (my 2.5 yr old's favorite thing to do is take it out for me...)
    01-06-09 10:32 PM
    I am amazed that the speakerphone works for you and that your callers did not find themselves hearing echos. I just purchased one of these for my bold and really like it but can not use it because my callers complain of echos when the case is on. I am in a major city with 3G and the problem only occurs with the case on. What OS version are you on ?

I posted this review earlier
    "Pros: Great protection, good feel, lightweight
    Cons: unusable because of feedback problems affecting sound qaulity

I will not deny the case will protect your Bold. The qaulity is 1st class. The case is a little stiff in and out of the holster but that is not a bad thing.
    I am not able to use the case because of the complaints I get from people I call telling me they can hear an echo(of themselves). I hear no such echo. When I remove bold from the case the echo dissappears. The echo is not as bad if I turn the volume on the phone to the lowest setting. I have also removed the fabric protector from inside the case to no avail. I sent an email to Otterbox over a week ago and have yet to receive a reply.
    The other probem with the phone is the speakerphone. If you try to us the speakerphone with the case on it make a high pitch sound..err earsplitting squeal.(good if I was being mugged I guess)
    So I am dissappointed because I read reviews saying how great the case was and how great Otterbox support was.
    -------------------
    Blackberry Bold on the Rogers Network 3G full 5bar strength connection OS v4.6.0.162 "
    01-07-09 08:18 AM
    I am amazed that the speakerphone works for you and that your callers did not find themselves hearing echos. I just purchased one of these for my bold and really like it but can not use it because my callers complain of echos when the case is on. I am in a major city with 3G and the problem only occurs with the case on. What OS version are you on ?
    I'm running 4.6.0.167, so far no complaints of the echo u get. I'll have to ask people if they hear an echo on thier end. Yeah speaker phone works fine, no squealing. Would the echo be a service issue or a device?
    01-07-09 10:09 AM
    The echo is caused by the clear film partially covering the microphone. I beleive they may have designed it this way to eliminate anything from getting in the microphone but it definately caused a problem. They used a fabric filter on the speaker so I am not sure why they did not use it on the microphone.

I trimmed the plastic film so it did not cover the microphone and it eliminated the echo. As for bubbles, if you follow the installation instructions advising you to use soappy water to install the film it eliminates all bubbles on the screen, mine is is perfectly flat.

I also notice some loss in sound quality with the speaker, the case seems to vibrate slightly when the speaker is turned above half and on max volume can become annoying. Putting the phone in the holster while on speaker eliminates alot of the vibration though. I use my bold as a "boombox" to listen to my mp3s while im working on my house. I also use a pair of jaybird bluetooth headphones and they work great with the bold.

I love my otterbox. I had one on my curve and immediately ordered one when I got the bold. I know it makes the phone bulky and unattractive but imo there is nothing more unattractive than a scratched and dinged phone. I am constantly using my bold all day and I do drop it from time to time. The case provides ultimate protection against any scratches. I also love how well it keeps dust off the screen and keys, some dust can build up around the trackball but nothing a little compressed air cant clean up every once and a while.

Once I got a bold I moved my curve, curve is for work and bold is for personal, back to the leather pouch as I was not using the curve as much and it was not in danger of being damaged.

Overall even with insurance on my bold I feel that the otterbox is the best thing I have for my bold. Even with the bulk it keeps it in perfect condition from day one.

Side note. I used the otterbox on my curve without the plastic film and over time the curve got scratched all over, most likely from dirt getting under the cover and rubbing between the hard plastic of the case and the plastic of the phone leaving little pits on the back and front. From this I learned to always use the plastic film.
    Last edited by antsmrchnn; 01-07-09 at 12:22 PM.
    01-07-09 12:19 PM
    Well I figured out the feedback problem seems to come from the area around the headphone jack and USB port. I did not use the clear 1st layer protection(just the hard plastic and the outer silicone). Further searches of the forum have revealed that I am not alone with this problem. I have posted a video on youtube and you can hear the sound for yourselves. I work outside and love the case so its a pity. And yea the video sucks... and I did not mean to hijack the thread. I am still curious why some phones have the problem and some don't ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0GLKIPIt2E

*****Update Email from Otterbox support********

Update for Case #28356 - "Feedback and echo Problem with defender case for Blackberry Bold"

Steven,

Unfortunately we are aware of the problem but do not have a solution or even a cause for the feedback with the speakerphone at this time. As for the echo, removing that silicone tab for the data port and turning down the volume should solve that problem.

f you would like to return the product, you will need to go through the reseller you purchased it from.

Please email me if you have any further questions, and I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Thanks,
    Harrison
    Update Jan 12, 08

I had originally modified the 1st layer "clear skin" by cutting out area around the earpiece. The Otterbox support is sending me a free one free of charge. This will allow me to sell the unit at not too great of a loss... Ebay her ya come. So Otterbox support is not so bad
    Last edited by deopsc4; 01-12-09 at 04:01 PM.
    01-07-09 09:31 PM
    You could also use it to put under the front tire of your care when parked on a hill so it doesn't roll away..... :-)
    01-07-09 09:36 PM
    Thanks for the pics! Confirms that the company would have to pay me to use that case.
    01-07-09 11:23 PM
    I ordered the Defender a few days ago. Still waiting for it (normally 10 days for USPS to Guam). I work on a Navy Ship, Guam is a very hot and humid envionment, and GTA does not offer 'phone insurance' or any kind of replacement plan. So to avoid having to buy another $500 phone, I'm going to wrap it in the Otterbox and cross my fingers and knock on wood for the next 2 years.

Thanks for the pics! Awesome comparison shots.
    01-08-09 01:56 AM
    I also have the Otterbox for the bold, but at times get tired of it. So I decided to take it out of the case but leave the plastic protecting the screen and keyboard and placed it in one of those silicone skins from the AT&T store. Works pretty good! Might use a bit of tape to make sure the plastic on the keyboard stays on firm. Hope it helps someone
    01-09-09 06:46 PM
    i couldnt be happier with mine
    01-09-09 08:49 PM
    I currently have a clarivue plastic shield on my bold (similar to a zagg). Will the defender work with the clarivue?

How long does it take to install the defender?

I ask because normally my bold is fine without the extra protection, but there are a few times a month when I have my phone when I am doing outdoor stuff. I would like the defender at that time?

So basically is it easy to install and remove? and will I be able to leave my clarivue installed?

THanks
    01-11-09 11:51 PM
    You shouldnt have a problem leaving your screen protector (clarivue) installed.

Installation time of the defender is 5-10 seconds if your not putting on the screen and keyboard film. maybe 10 seconds longer if your using this as you have to position it properly.

I have not removed the defender from the bold that much so not sure about it with this model but, when I had the otterbox on my curve. Removing and replacing the case led to the outside silicone case to stretch slightly so it was a little loose and bulged in the back. It also stretched in the corners from constant removing and placing it in the holster. The case on the bold does seem to be better engineered so it may not have these problems in the long run but thought I would throw this out there anyways.

One thing I forgot to mention with my previous post. I have noticed on certain occasions, with the camera, there is a glare that shows up on the pictures. It is definately from the plastic sheild over the camera and the flash reflecting on it. I have not narrowed down when this happens but it has happened a few times. The plastic windows over the camera is great physical and dust protection though.

The otterbox is not for everyone but I love mine and wouldnt want to live without it.
    01-12-09 05:17 AM
    Got my Defender. Installed using the quick install method which resulted in screen bubbles. Plan on going back and using the proper water method.

So far, loving it. My BB feels very protected and the bulk doesn't interefere with operation except it bugs me a little when using the number pad. Hitting the a key is fine, as is hitting alt. But holding alt while hitting key 7 in a sequence of numbers is a little frustrating because the defender impedes a little on the alt key. No problem to hit alt solo, but when hitting alt and the numbers there's not much room for the thumbs over there due to the cause being raised above the alt key ever so slightly.
    01-17-09 08:36 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD