I'm considering using Alltel's insurance for the 8230 when I get it soon. It costs $7 a month and has a $90 deductable. Really doesn't seem worth it IMHO. I am pretty tech savy - enough that if something goes wrong (cracked lcd, etc), and the parts are available for a reasonable price online I should be able to do repairs myself. Any thoughts on whether I should skip the carrier insurance or is it needed on a smart phone like the 8230? What do most of you do - pay for the insurance or just take your chances?

Also, has anyone used a protective case like one of these:

Cover for BlackBerry 8220 Pearl Flip - Dark Blue :: 8220 Pearl Flip :: BlackBerry :: Faceplates - Covers :: Wireless Accessories

If so, are they a worthwhile investement and do they make the phone significantly more bulky?

Any input on these two issues would be welcome - Thanks!
    05-06-09 02:33 PM
    With the insurance, will you get an entirely new device, or a refurb, or perhaps even a month long wait while it gets repaired?

If it's instant NEW device, it's almost worth it, depending on the time frame you can go without breaking the device.

I have seen that case on other phones, and it doesn't look too bad, nor does it bulk it up too much.
    Did you plan on using a BB holster with the device? If you are, chances are, the phone wont fit into the holster with the case on it.
    05-06-09 02:42 PM
    With the insurance, will you get an entirely new device, or a refurb, or perhaps even a month long wait while it gets repaired?

If it's instant NEW device, it's almost worth it, depending on the time frame you can go without breaking the device.

I have seen that case on other phones, and it doesn't look too bad, nor does it bulk it up too much.
    Did you plan on using a BB holster with the device? If you are, chances are, the phone wont fit into the holster with the case on it.
    No, I won't be using a holster. I carry my phone in my front pocket, which is why I wondered how much bulk they protective case would add. As far as insurance with Alltell, I will have to ask - I think I would get a brand new phone, but 7 bucks a month plus a $90 deductible is pretty steep IMHO.
    05-06-09 03:11 PM
    As An Alltel Rep I Would Reccomend The Insurance On Any Smart Phone Simply Because If Something Should Happen To The Phone That You Can't Fix I.e......loss, Theft, Water Damage Then You Pay At Least $500 To Get It Replaced Without Insurance. You Pay $84.00 A Year For The Insurance And $95 For The Deductible. If You Do 1 Claim Every 4 Years You Have Made Your Money Back. Also Even If You Never File A Claim You Can Use It As A Cheap Way To Upgrade Without Adding A Contract. For Example When You File A Claim If The Store Has A Refurbished Phone Of The Same Model You Will Get That Phone. If Not Then You Will Get A New Phone Of The Same Model. If The Store Has None Of Those Then You Get The New Model Berry For 95 With No Contract. Most Stores Do Not Keep A Large Inventory Of Replacement Berries Once The Model Is No Longer Being Sold.
    05-07-09 02:21 PM
    I Would Also Reccomend A Protective Case That Covers The Phone When In Use. I Used The 8230 Over The Past Couple Of Days With No Covering And Managed To Scratch The Front Of It Just By Carrying It In My Pocket With My Keys
    05-07-09 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD