09-14-11 12:42 PM
146 ... 23456
tools
    Two words.

Screen protector.
    totally. people should always use screen protector.
    08-30-11 10:23 PM
    PhantomSkinz already has the screen protectors (and whole body protectors) available. I ordered my chromatic from them already. Their screen protectors are pretty clear and not too orange peely looking. I love the chromatic look and the protection it gives it as well. PhantomSkinz

They are running an internet special on their skins-whole body and screens. Buy one, get one. Internet Special

Also they have a sale until 8-31-11 25% off your order http://phantomskinz.com/summer2011.aspx

My husband and I have been very happy with their products.
    Last edited by McNibbler; 08-30-11 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added sale info
    08-30-11 10:37 PM
    I don't know why I have to buy a screen protector, so I don't; I still used the original screen protector that it came with. The only thing I do is take a razor and slice off the tab, and then I use a credit card to smooth out the bubbles. I did the same with my Tour and it lasted for two years, and still going.

But as for scratches with the holster, I haven't see any...Yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-11 11:08 PM
    Just seems completely unbelievable to me. The only explanation I can think of is that the thread has some residue or chemical that is etching the glass, since this is not a scratch.

That is actually a good point. have you ever seen a scratch looking like that. It looks like an indentation, a scratch wouldn't look so perfect.
    08-30-11 11:09 PM
    I holster my 99 face-out so the flap doesn't come into contact with the screen. I have always holstered my BlackBerries this way. The included 99 holster has a very short, stout flap which WILL ABSOLUTELY drag across the screen if you holster your device face-in. I cannot wait to get my Otterbox Commuter with screen protector.

08-30-11 11:30 PM
    FBA is right. I was wondering the same. Phone is faced the other way. No issue on mine.

I'm not sure I agree the 'right' way to do it is face in - the holster info -> http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberry-leather-holster/4A24A8730.htm mentions "Visibility to Message Indicator" under "features" and the pic on the same page has the LED visible (face out). If the face was in you wouldn't be able to see the LED (if that sort of thing matters to you).

For the record, in and out of the holster all day long, no scratches yet and the biggest complaint is fingerprints make an absolute mess of the shiny parts of the phone.
    08-30-11 11:51 PM
    Sorry but I am going to go ahead and call bull****. First and foremost, the phone should be placed face into the holster. When wearing the holster, the phones screen should be facing your body. My holster has not caused any of the issues some of the people are claiming here and I assure you they are in the minority.

Furthermore, it might be possible that grit or sand or some other similar material got into your holster and came into contact with your screen and the holster but the holster alone did not scratch your screen.

If you are within your 30 days of purchase go to your carriers store and see about returning it. If you ordered online (which I don't do for a reason) you are **** out of luck because the people at the store are not going to want the return.

I think the issue should be addressed by your particular carrier and not by RIM. I have never had a holster in all the years of using products by Research in Motion, that has ever scratched a screen so I do not know, maybe you are just the exception.
    08-31-11 12:55 AM
    The "marks" on the screen in the picture appear to havethe pattern of the stitching. This can't be scratches from sliding the phone in and out. If it was, the marks would continue down the screen as the stitching slid across it.
    My theory is that the stitching is leaving some kind of residue on the screen after touching it it one position for a long time. Maybe RIM put a coating on the glass (like on eyeglass lenses) and it is reacting with some chemical (dye?) in the thread.
    Scooter625 likes this.
    08-31-11 01:07 AM
    I noticed the same issue this morning on my 9930. I have not removed the original protective film however, so the marks appear on the film itself and not the screen. I am using the OEM case that came with the phone.
    moiselles likes this.
    08-31-11 01:10 AM
    I noticed the same issue this morning on my 9930. I have not removed the original protective film however, so the marks appear on the film itself and not the screen. I am using the OEM case that came with the phone.
    I'm not sounding like a je*k here but of course it's going to mark the thin plastic film. I can put a piece saran wrap on my finger and press it into the inside of the case and make the same marks.

I'm in no way saying people that have had this happen to are liars but there is no possible way any type of thread can etch glass unless it was contaminated with a gritty substance. When you run your finger nail over it do you feel the marks? Even the smallest scratch on glass you'll be able to feel with your nail. If you feel the stitch marks then the stitching in your holster became contaminated some how or the screen may have had some grit on it when you put it in the holster. I've been using the included holster since day one. The 9930 has been in and out of holster several times a day and the screen is perfect. As I said, not calling anyone a liar but there's some other factor involved here than just the 9930 and the OEM holster.
    08-31-11 02:36 AM
    No, screen protectors (or at least the ones I've used) don't prevent the touchscreen from working properly. It does seem strange that the case would scratch the screen. There might be a way to repair the scratch, or maybe a ZAGG protector would hide the scratch.
    08-31-11 02:43 AM
    It sounds like it is thread dye color-transfering onto the glass, rather than scratches. Scratches require abrasion, which would not make such a clear pattern.

It's more likely that the color dye in the thread was not cured, or maybe local humidity is a factor (hurricaine Irene anyone?).
    LewLew23 likes this.
    08-31-11 02:52 AM
    I always get the case/holder before the phone. From box to protection.
    08-31-11 03:05 AM
    The best way I've found to get anything off of glass is to take 100% cotton fabric. I use a white sock myself. Wet it down with warm to hot water and wring it out good so the fabric is just damp. Then spray full strength Concentrated Simply Green All Purpose Cleaner on it. One short quick spray is all that is needed. Wipe the glass with light to medium pressure. Then use another warm damp cloth to wipe off any residue. Use to 3rd dry one to buff it dry. Unless it's some kind of adhesive the screen will be spotless and it will smell clean too
    08-31-11 03:12 AM
    Brilliant, Otacon, but know that Simple Green weakens aluminium and likely other metals, who knows about plastics. Go easy.
    08-31-11 05:08 AM
    seriously, if this is really bothering, just slap a screen protector and move on. are you seriously thinking of returning the unit back to your vendor to get a replacement? i know everyone paid quite abit for this, but cmon. if it is a fully functioning unit, and just because of this etching issue, you might end up exchanging it for a lemon unit.
    08-31-11 05:26 AM

Well this sucks. I took my bold out to wipe off the screen and noticed these faint "stitch-like" lines that was in the shape of the holster. Low and behold, wiping them away did nothing. When looking closer, the inside of the holster has stitching that is constantly rubbing against the screen. It has now permanently damaged my screen. I am really annoyed. Wth...
    sue the company for doing a bad protector...
    08-31-11 05:52 AM
    I got the OEM soft skin case and I was really happy with it until this morning when I realized the front of the bezel all around the top of my phone is pitted. It must have allowed debris to get in between because they are not scratches- but pits. Pretty peeved right now. Just to be clear, the phone was in this case right out of the box. The back of the phone still has the protective film on it and the only reason it's not on the front is because it fell off...

08-31-11 08:11 AM
    Mine has also scratched the screen and only after 3 days of use. I called both my carrier and RIM and they both gave me the "Run Around". The carrier's original response was for me to contact RIM. After I called RIM they stated they were not the manufacturer of the holster only the device itself and to contact my carrier and return it to them with there 30day return policy. This is ridiculous, My carrier did not even have any screen protectors available at the time of purchase and still don't. And the one that was OEM lasted 3 times of removal from the holster before it peeled off. If this is considered normal "wear and tear" of the devise then they should include a free screen protector from the carrier at the time of purchase!
    i dont fully get you, but my roger 9900 came with a screen protector that i am still using now.
    08-31-11 08:40 AM
    Sorry but I am going to go ahead and call bull****. First and foremost, the phone should be placed face into the holster. When wearing the holster, the phones screen should be facing your body. My holster has not caused any of the issues some of the people are claiming here and I assure you they are in the minority.

Furthermore, it might be possible that grit or sand or some other similar material got into your holster and came into contact with your screen and the holster but the holster alone did not scratch your screen.

If you are within your 30 days of purchase go to your carriers store and see about returning it. If you ordered online (which I don't do for a reason) you are **** out of luck because the people at the store are not going to want the return.

I think the issue should be addressed by your particular carrier and not by RIM. I have never had a holster in all the years of using products by Research in Motion, that has ever scratched a screen so I do not know, maybe you are just the exception.
    Yup, grit and sand got in to the holster and landed in the exact same pattern as the inside lining.

Think that one through??
    08-31-11 08:57 AM
    This marking, whatever it may be (scratches to me and others who have seen it, is not going away. Tried toothpaste, and it didn't work. Tried a few other tricks I read off the Internet and no luck.

As the other guy pointed out in page 2 with his pictures, he has it too as you can see better in his pictures. Lucky for him though he kept his protector on.

Either way a replacement is in the mail scheduled for delivery today and the holster has been thrown away. Lesson learned.
    08-31-11 09:02 AM
    The case is designed so that when the phone is inserted keyboard first with the screen facing out, you can see the BB LED when it's flashing.

He's putting the phone in the case with the phone facing the outside of the case. That's not the right way...and is the only way I can think of where the stitching scratched the screen. Nevertheless, that should not happen.
    08-31-11 09:23 AM
    good one bro.
    as long as my phone is still due for replacement, if anything goes wrong; i will definitely replace it
    08-31-11 09:25 AM
    I disagree with placement of the phone in the case. Either way, the screen is fully protected and the material is the same on either side including the inner surface of the flap. The case is designed to have the keyboard inserted first with the screen facing out. This keeps the message notification LED fully exposed.

I also agree that the case stitching would not leave a pattern on the screen as shown!

08-31-11 09:30 AM
    I tryed the Holster for the 9650 and it doesn't put the 9930 to sleep.
    08-31-11 09:36 AM
146 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD