Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know of my experience with Otterbox cases. In the past I had an Otterbox on my 8330 curve and loved it, especially the color, Yellow and Black. (yes I know, it looked like a tape measure on my belt, and I loved it.) The Otterbox saved my phone when dropped countless times.

When I upgraded to the Storm 2, the first thing I bought for it was the Otterbox Defender. The only thing I would have liked was the Yellow and Black color. Several times since I had the Otterbox on my Storm 2 it has saved me from huge headaches. Drops on cement floors, pavement and gravel have all left my phone in like new shape. Yesterday my phone took a particularly hard fall and I snapped off one of the clips on the side of the case that keeps the rubber skin snug. I also snapped off one of the side clips on the case.

I emailed Otterbox this morning, knowing they have outstanding Customer Service and provided them with my mailing address. Kiley emailed me back within 30 min with a report that a totally new unit had been sent by Purolator. I have had previous warranty replacements from Otterbox and they mailed them so this time I assumed they would do that same. I realized that Kiley had said this one was sent out by Purolator and my home address is different than my mailing address so I emailed Kiley back and asked if it was too late to change the shipping address. Kiley managed to change the address on the shipment and the replacement is on its way.

I'd never use any other case for my Blackberry. If anybody is in the market for a case to protect their investment, think Otterbox, you can't go wrong, and your phone will be safe.

Mike
    03-05-10 01:50 PM
    Nice. I personally like the look of the Commuter. Now if only it had credit card slots so it could replace my wallet as well, like some of those leather cases.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-10 02:09 PM
    Otterbox has awesome cases. I had one for my Curve, for my Bold and now for my S2. (Defender)
    I don't like how the belt-clip holds my S2. It flipped out of the clip maybe 15 times already due my shoulder bag pushing it out or my belly pressing it out.

I ordered a leather case without a belt clip to slide my S2 in my pocket. If I switch to any other phone, I will buy myself an Otterbox again.
    03-05-10 02:59 PM
    Double entry
    03-05-10 03:00 PM
    hi there,
    dont mean to thread jack but here is my experience with the defender.
    i like the protection of the defender but i do not like the bulk it adds (i know, no bulk no protection.) the holster is pretty shoddy. it doesnt seem to click in very easliy and when it does i am afraid it isnt in all the way. it should have a better locking mechanism other than 2 plastic clips and receivers. my bb has fallen out several times when i thought it was replaced back in the holster. the clips sometimes will get caught in the silicone frame rather than the receivers leading to a fall (user error or flawed design?) luckily it is bulky and therefore protects how is this H2O resistant? the screen is pretty much exposed (minus the plastic film sticker) and other inputs are definitely susceptible to H2O. overall i give it a 3 out 5. i dont think its worth $45-50 unless they do some serious changes to the defenders architecture.
    03-05-10 03:10 PM
    I had an Otter on one of my 9000's and I bought my brother one of the yellow and black "bumblebees" for his 8310. They ARE the best when it comes to protection-I wanted something a little smaller when I upgrsded to the 9700, so I opted for the Incipio.
    03-05-10 03:10 PM
    A BlackBerry deserves an Otterbox. Always will for me.

03-05-10 03:21 PM
    defiantly a nice case for a great device.
    03-05-10 04:37 PM
    Your phone probably fell out of the holster because that clip on the case breaks. I have been through 5 of these cases and they all break in the same place. Once that clip breaks they don't secure in the holster like they should.
    03-05-10 09:39 PM
    I have a casemate barely there, with phantom skinz covering the screen and top and bottom, perfect protection!
    03-05-10 10:25 PM
    Best protection but too bulky...I dont like anything that bulks above the screen.
    03-05-10 10:28 PM
    Actually, I looked at all the Otterbox models and concluded they really didn't add much except bulk. Putting one on precludes using any charging stand I know of and that disqualified them since I use a stand in my office and also one in the bedroom so I can use the BB S2 as a clock.
    http://shop.crackberry.com/seidio-de...medium=content
    I think the Seidio Innocase and matching desk stand are a much better combo. If I want more protection I use a Beaker Speedfold wallet
    Products :: Beaker Concepts, INC
    made out of molded ballistics nylon.
    03-05-10 10:28 PM
    I love my Otterbox and all my Tour and Storm 2 have ever worn.
    03-05-10 10:49 PM
    Defender case for my storm 2 works great. I do recommend buying and body guard though because the hard inner case tends too slighty scratch the phone body up. I had a few extra screen cover I cut up too cover my phone body, worked great. & also customer service is great. I started off with their cheapest case 'impact'. Called and complained and the sent the 'defender' too replace. A+

03-05-10 11:00 PM
    as the proud owner of the otterbox defender for my 9530, i found that i loved the case but it was way too bulky!! I have recently upgraded to a 9550 and with this one i got the bodyglove case with the kickstand. Definitely a lower profile case which still feels like you phone is protected and it has a kickstand!!
    03-05-10 11:19 PM
    If your gonna tap it, wrap it

03-06-10 12:05 AM
    Just ordered the Otterbox Commuter for my new S2. I just hope it does not affect the touchscreen.

Anyone have any problems with the touchscreen, or the clicking?
    03-06-10 12:27 AM
    Just ordered the Otterbox Commuter for my new S2. I just hope it does not affect the touchscreen.

Anyone have any problems with the touchscreen, or the clicking?
    The case does not affect the screen. The first Otter's had the built in screen protector but the new models do not.
    03-06-10 06:33 AM
    Agree on otterbox. I use it when I know I will be out and active with it. gym, hiking, etc. Silicon sleeve when not. The thing is great.
    03-06-10 07:46 AM
    I haven an Otterbox Defender. Great case, lousy holster. I say lousy because the holster is poorly designed. The clips are just too fragile for hard use, which is what the Otterbox is marketed for. Now the customer service is great. They are shipping me my 3rd Holster since November.
    03-06-10 08:32 AM
    Does the holster for OtterBox Defender BlackBerry Storm 2 put the device to sleep?
    03-08-10 03:11 AM
    Does the holster for OtterBox Defender BlackBerry Storm 2 put the device to sleep?
    Yes it does.
    03-08-10 05:50 AM
    The defender for the Storm 2 is a horrible case, especially compared with the case for the Storm 1, which, albeit bulky, was great at protecting the unit, and had a solid holster that never lost the unit.

My Storm 2 spent more time of the floor than in the holster due to the horrible design oft the Defender. In addition, the rubberized covering peels up all the time at the top of the case where the earpiece is, and almost no 3.5 mini plug will fit in the tiny space they leave for you to plug in headphones and such.

I now have the Seido Innocase II and its holster, which are not perfect, but do a good job of keeping the Storm 2 in the holster. I only wish it had a bit more protection.
    03-08-10 10:58 AM
    The defender for the Storm 2 is a horrible case, especially compared with the case for the Storm 1, which, albeit bulky, was great at protecting the unit, and had a solid holster that never lost the unit.

My Storm 2 spent more time of the floor than in the holster due to the horrible design oft the Defender. In addition, the rubberized covering peels up all the time at the top of the case where the earpiece is, and almost no 3.5 mini plug will fit in the tiny space they leave for you to plug in headphones and such.

I now have the Seido Innocase II and its holster, which are not perfect, but do a good job of keeping the Storm 2 in the holster. I only wish it had a bit more protection.
    I can't say I've had ANY of the problems that you describe above. Anytime my phone had ended up on the floor, it has been my own fault, not because the case didn't hold the phone securely. I too prefer the type of clip that was on my 8330 curve but the only reason my clip for my Storm 2 broke was because I accidentally stepped on it and broke one of the tabs off. I did the same thing to the clip from my curve and the result was the same, a broken clip.

The Otterbox Defender is for heavy duty use, and along with that comes the cost of some bulk. (which I prefer as I find it much easier to hold with my big hands) I've also never had my phone pop out of the clip, nor do I have any problems plugging in headphones into the jack on the side of the case.

Personally I don't think I've ever encountered exceptional customer service with any other purchase I've ever had like I did with Otterbox Customer Service, they just replaced the product because they stand behind their product.

I'll never use any other case for my phone.

Mike
    03-08-10 12:00 PM
    Seido is the best..I am not a fan of otterbox..too bulky and fugly...haha
    03-08-10 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD