09-29-08 10:22 PM
52 123
tools
    Maybe I set up something wrong. I changed the Convenience Key to LockKeyboard. I am trying to use the OWNER DISPLAY to include my ICE number. So when it is locked, the OWNER Display is HIDDEN behind the Prompt Box which says to press the * and GreenPhone keys.

Is there someway to alter this?
    02-10-08 12:01 AM
    Personally I don't do this, mainly because my wife's name in my address book is 'wifey' so it is rather self explanatory.
    How can you assume that the first responders, when faced with a life or death situation (that would be YOUR LIFE), are going to be able to take time away from saving you to scroll through nearly ALL of your contacts to find "Wifey"? And how on Earth will they know that you have her labeled as "wifey", that's not exactly a common practice?! And what will those same people do when you AND wifey are together in the emergency situation?!?!

I would suggest putting a couple of ICE entries in there, in addition to the "wifey" entry.
    02-10-08 09:16 AM
    As a f/t Medic in an urban area... I recommend this idea. I've had to utilize this on a few occasions to get pertinent info on my pt.

But as a Medic... always treat the signs and symptoms first!

I have my contact info on my info page so when my BB is locked people can see this... and as an individual entry as ICE. Just in case I get smoked running/biking/driving/blading to work.

B.
    02-10-08 09:24 AM
    thanks for the info this is the first time I'm hearing this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-08 02:42 PM
    I have this on my owner information so that when my BB is locked (all the time due to work BES policy) it is visible. In fact, I have "if found, pls contact xxx. ICE - xxxx and so forth.

02-11-08 02:58 PM
    mine's just HELP lol

02-11-08 03:09 PM
    Maybe I set up something wrong. I changed the Convenience Key to LockKeyboard. I am trying to use the OWNER DISPLAY to include my ICE number. So when it is locked, the OWNER Display is HIDDEN behind the Prompt Box which says to press the * and GreenPhone keys.

Is there someway to alter this?
    When you hit the "back" key, that box goes away and I can read my entire screen.
    02-11-08 03:58 PM
    My question had been: " Maybe I set up something wrong. I changed the Convenience Key to LockKeyboard. I am trying to use the OWNER DISPLAY to include my ICE number. So when it is locked, the OWNER Display is HIDDEN behind the Prompt Box which says to press the * and GreenPhone keys."

When you hit the "back" key, that box goes away and I can read my entire screen.
    Thanks, I was just going to RE-ask. I guess the only problem with that is that a FINDER or First Aid worker would need to know to press that BACK key. I tried pressing a number of keys and it appears only that one clears the box. It would be nice if the Prompt box indicated how to clear the prompt and see the Owner info.

But I may re-institute the Convenience Key even though the INFO is obscured.
    02-11-08 08:35 PM
    Some phone makers are making that a part of their contact list with the ICE number in red (LG). Could BB do this as well?
    09-29-08 10:15 AM
    I Have had an ICE in my phone for a few years and have told alot of people to add it to their phone. It definately makes things easier for emergency personel to figure out who they need to call.
    09-29-08 10:30 AM
    Wow, this is really great info, as I have never heard of this. Thank you to the OP for bringing this subject to light. I will tell everyone I know.
    09-29-08 10:51 AM
    I too have an ICE number on my owner screen. I never leave the house without my BB- my wallet I do.

My problem is that all my ICE numbers are out of town numbers cause I don't know anyone here!
    09-29-08 11:15 AM
    I've been using ICE for the last 2 years as well..Thank god I never had to put it into use...
    09-29-08 11:16 AM
    My Grandmother is a huge spam sender and she sent me an email on this a few years back. I have my house number listed as *ICE Home and same thing with my mom's number. Shows up at the top of the list and gives more options for someone to call.

I think its a great idea! But im thankful that it I have never had to put it into use.
    Wait, your grandma sends spam? Tell her to stop spamming my email accounts! Jus kidd'n

09-29-08 11:32 AM
    Yep, my wife and I have had ICE entries for a few years now.
    09-29-08 11:56 AM
    Thanks, I added mine!
    09-29-08 12:38 PM
    Have had ICE and IF FOUND CONTACT on most of my hand held items since my folks sent me off to school. Most of the time it was sewn into my clothes or taped into my lunch boxes. Hehehhe

But when I started buying things on my own, had always put some sort of ID info on or in the things I took out of the house with me.

Had a car broken into a few years back and a computer case and a camera were taken, and before the insurance check arrived, I got a call from a pawn shop and was able to get the camera back. Sigh had to send the check back for the camera though. I've also been able to return a couple of watches, cams, phones, daytimers and PDAs, because ICE/IF FOUND CALL info was on or in the device. It's always amazed me at what people just plain forget about when they wash their hands or eat.

Oh yeah was able to get a kid back to his folks when they drove off and left him at a rest stop. You have thought they would have noticed, it wasn't like the car was full of kids, he was the only one kid in the car, but I hear it happens more then you'd think. But the good thing was, that time honored deal of name address and phone number sewn into the jacket and shirt, got them before they had gotten too far down the road.

Thank goodness I have not had to have an ICE related situation come up.
    09-29-08 01:08 PM
    Great idea.... I'm going to do that on my kids phones too.
    09-29-08 02:31 PM
    I've had an "ice" entry in my address book for 3 years. I think its a great idea.
    it is a great idea! esp if first responders are trained to look for such numbers. i have had ice numbers in my phone for almost 2 years now and it's such a great idea....

only thing that i worry about is if my phone is locked and i cannot respond - how will they get into my berry?!?
    09-29-08 03:18 PM
    what do we do about the people who cant figure out how to use a blackberry. some of my friends still don't know how to take it off keypad lock
    09-29-08 03:41 PM
    Yep, great tip... thanks.
    09-29-08 03:49 PM
    what the heck!?!!?? OFF TOPIC SECTION, PLEASE.
    09-29-08 04:05 PM
    There's no guarantee that whomever picks up a BB can figure out how to use it. I had my battery cover professionally engraved with ICE and LOST data.

My wife has a crystal case on her razr so I printed a small piece of paper and taped it into the inside of the case so it's visible on the back. She has lost her phone and people call the house to let us know where to come pick it up.

09-29-08 05:50 PM
    Dont get me wrong, I think this is a fantastic idea! I had it in my phone for years, both my parents have it. But, to all you FF, EMTs, Medics & Police out there, how often are you serching for someones cell phone and lookng to see if they have such information in thier phone? My ex is a FF and says they are more concerned with treating and transporting then cell phones.

Not trying to be negative, just want an answer from those who are actully going to use this info.
    09-29-08 06:34 PM
    Corporations are spreading the word to employees re ICE as well as the word of mouth such as this thread. Great idea and can only help.

09-29-08 07:12 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD