05-14-09 01:12 PM
35 12
tools
    For those of that were still worried about getting a hold of a close contact or communicating medical conditions to emergency personal during an emergency I just found this.

UTag
    02-16-09 03:11 PM
    I've always considered doing this. But there is always the case that a medic doesn't know how to properly use someones phone. I know for a fact, I would NOT want anyone else messing or going through my phone without permission when I'm unconcious. :P The paper suggestion is much better.
    02-16-09 03:44 PM
    I work as an EMT and do EMS at raves and concerts....so I've used phone's before to contact people about their friends....usually they are too drunk to walk, or whatever and are stable other than that. MOM and DAD work....but usually friends end up calling or txting asking "where are you" and then I take the phone, because "imm wifth the medicccale people at furst aids" doesn't seem to work...
    However on the ambulance, or on a real call with a critical pt, the LAST thing on my mind is an ICE contact in the patients phone.
    What I DO recommend is a laminated list of medical history and medications right behind your drivers license. -in the cold rain with an unconcious person is not the time to look through a phone....but usually the DL gets pulled pretty quick, and TA DA! a list of medical problems and medications YAY! my job go easier and safer for the pt!

-just my 2 cents
    02-16-09 04:03 PM
    I agree that a physical object would be better - our BBs lock in a maximum of 60 min's. By the time anyone needs an emergency contact, I bet a BB will nearly always be locked.
    Last edited by ff_emtd; 02-16-09 at 07:04 PM.
    02-16-09 07:02 PM
    I use the ICE in my phone because I don't always carry ID with me and neither do my children. There's only one of my children who'd be identifiable and that's because he wears a medic alert pendant.

Sooner or later SOMEONE will check the phone for an emergency contact if that's all you're carrying
    02-16-09 07:41 PM
    My wife had ICE (me) and ICE2 (her parents) in her phone. She and our kids were victims of a terrible local town fireworks accident in 2007. All 3 went to 3 different hospitals.

I got called by a friend and went to the first hospital. Because she had ICE2, when the police tried to reach me (and could not), they called her parents who came up (thank God).

We are big believers.
    05-14-09 12:46 PM
    Pretty cool idea i think it only takes two secs to do and u never know when the day might come where that was what worked to be able to contact your family
    05-14-09 12:53 PM
    I got this info in a forward some time back and I take so little stock in those. I heard it on "The Doctors" this am and I added it.
    05-14-09 12:56 PM
    This is actually a new concept to me. Thanks for bringing it up!

I regards to concerns about the phone being locked:
    Most of us who lock our phones have our name and alternate contact as well as frequently "reward for return".

Why not just add an ICE line to the lock screen?

Edit: just took my own advice
    Last edited by Xader; 05-14-09 at 01:43 PM.
    05-14-09 01:04 PM
    I use ICE but the number goes to my favorite bar that way they know where I am when i'm not there
    05-14-09 01:12 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD