05-14-09 01:12 PM
35 12
tools
    I received this is in a email this morning I thought I'd share it.

Apparently this is a standard procedure all paramedics follow
    at the scene of an accident when they come across your cell.

ICE - "In Case Of Emergency"

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this "ICE" {In Case of Emergency} Campaign. The concept of "ICE" is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell {mobile} phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name "ICE" {In Case of Emergency}.

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialling the number you have stored as "ICE". For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. A great idea that will make a difference!

Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our mobile phones today!

Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

ICE will speak for you when you are not able to.
    01-10-09 01:36 PM
    I think a better idea would be to keep a piece of paper with emergency contacts next to your license. I'd think they'd be more apt to check there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 01:43 PM
    Thanks for sharing. Welcome to Crackberry!

This information has been out for a while now. Good to know of course, but not very practical if people have their Blackberries locked down with a password lock for example.

That being said, I do have my ICE contacts programmed into my BB. ;o)
    01-10-09 01:46 PM
    That is a good idea as well as putting a peice of paper with info on it in your wallet/purse where your ID is. Like diabetics carry a card.
    01-10-09 01:48 PM
    i've done this for a few years now.. but like you said, if it's locked, they can't get into it!
    i also enter my ICE contacts in as
    .ICE so that they show up first in my contact list! i love it cause my ICE people are my husband and mom and those 2 are the ones i text/call the most!
    01-10-09 02:05 PM
    Speaking from an EMS stand point, we usually let the hospital contact family, as we usually have a lot of othetr patient care issues. However there are times when ICE works out nicely. Thanks everyone who does that!

01-10-09 02:30 PM
    This is always a good idea...
    01-10-09 02:31 PM
    I am a first responder and a member of the local Rescue Squad. I have been on many crash scenes and have never once seen or heard of medic, rescue, fire, or police personnel looking through a cell phone for any reason. Different areas have different things they do at emergency scenes but the most common is find a wallet with ID and figure out who this person is. That being said, in my area, the best place for an ICE contact is on a piece of paper or a laminated card would probably be better (in case water is involved) with that contact information directly behind, or even attatched to the back of your license in some way.

01-10-09 02:34 PM
    The ICE entries in your phone can't hurt, and I have them, too. But I did ask my husband, who is a firefighter/EMT, and he pretty much echoed what Maverick7687 posted. Going through a cell phone would not be first on the list of things to do, even though most first responders know about ICE entries. If someone is unable to respond, Med Alert ID or wallet with ID and info would be the first things looked for.
    01-10-09 02:44 PM
    Good idea been doing this for awhile now, but never a bad idea to spread the word. Welcome to CrackBerry Blade
    01-10-09 02:45 PM
    Just wanted to add this in here, for all you blackberry guru's

I know in the past we talked about ICE contacts in our phones. There are a few threads on this before, but with the blackberry there is no specific pre programed fields for this....

So you got two options and I suggest you use one of them.

1. for your ICE contacts put a * or symbol in the name of the contact that way it bumps to the top of the list.

2. I use this one, on your owner info. in the information box put in you ICE contacts. as well as your name and number or even add in address. you only have so much room, so may things combined on each line

Here is a example of mine.

John Yester
    000 Harden Drive
    Pittsburgh, PA 15229
    412-000-0000
    ICE Contacts:
    Jen Yester-000-000-0000
    Bill Yester-000-000-0000

Al that info fits on the main screen, anything else would need to be put in a memo list on device.

Hope this help you all
    01-10-09 02:49 PM
    Good idea, yes. But this is never something we look for. I have more important things to do, like keep you alive. I would echo some of the other posts though, keep the info with your license, someone always ends up looking for that eventually.

01-10-09 02:53 PM
    Correct,

Basically, the idea for ICE is that many people carry their cellphone and to make it quicker for informing your next of kin by emergency personnel.

There are other means to contact your NOK but the ICE is one of the tool for identification and not just the only tool for identifivation.

There are more issues to worry if there is an EMP and all the surrounding electronics equipment are dead and not just your cellphone with the ICE information.

It is not meant as the only form of identification to call the NOK.

But, I have used this on victims phones while on scene of MVC's/medicals to inform friends/loved ones of the incident. It saved alot of time. I have also found cell phones, called the number ICE and was able to return it to the rightful owner (I wouldn't count on that happening all the time though)
    Last edited by yester18; 01-10-09 at 03:03 PM.
    01-10-09 03:01 PM
    This is really not for emergency service personnel as that really not their focus or responsibility.

However in the biker community, most everyone we ride with have ICE contacts on their phone. In the event of an accident or an emergency while out riding, we all know that once the scene is safe someone in the group can grab their cell phone and notify immediate family right away and keep them apprised of the situation, location, what hospital they will need to go to and obtain any pertinent medical or personal inforamtion we may need to know.

I know I travel a lot and have happened upon automobile accidents on the roads and once everything has been stabilized I will look and the victim's cell phone for an ICE contact. Unfortunately most "cagers" do not have that programmed into their phone.

David
    01-10-09 03:51 PM
    I always figured someone would just dial "Mom" or "Dad" in my contacts list.
    01-10-09 03:55 PM
    I am a first responder and a member of the local Rescue Squad. the best place for an ICE contact is on a piece of paper or a laminated card would probably be better (in case water is involved) with that contact information directly behind, or even attatched to the back of your license in some way.
    Taken into advisement Maverick, thanks. To tell you the truth not once have I ever given any thought for contacts for emergency personnel until I seen the email this morning and I've actually made the horizontal trip to the hospital already.
    This is really not for emergency service personnel as that really not their focus or responsibility.

However in the biker community, most everyone we ride with have ICE contacts on their phone.

David
    Just curious what do you ride?
    01-10-09 04:52 PM
    Taken into advisement Maverick, thanks. To tell you the truth not once have I ever given any thought for contacts for emergency personnel until I seen the email this morning and I've actually made the horizontal trip to the hospital already.Just curious what do you ride?
    Stratoliner - 1900cc...113ci...100hp....It is a sport bike beast dressed up in cruiser clothing! LOL!!!

David

Last edited by VIOLATOR; 01-10-09 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Playoff football and beer = spelling issues
    01-10-09 05:03 PM
    Thank you for the post, I have made a new entry *In Case of Emergency in my phone book
    01-10-09 05:12 PM
    Stratoliner - 1900cc...113ci...100hp....It is a sport bike beast dressed up in cruiser clothing! LOL!!!

David

lol 400cc & 10hp more then my 1st car.
    01-10-09 05:20 PM
    Mine is in as "aaa ICE EMERGENCY, WIFE, my-wife's-lastname" Then all the other stuff that goes with an Adress Book entry follows.

This way it is the very first entry in my Address Book, can be searched by typing ICE or emergency and it says who the person is.
    01-11-09 03:04 AM
    As a Paramedic, I have never checked a patient's cell phone for emergency contact information. I usually get the driver's license from the police. Too much other stuff to do while on a call. Maybe in an emergency room with case workers this would be more helpful.
    01-11-09 04:00 AM
    As a Paramedic, I have never checked a patient's cell phone for emergency contact information. I usually get the driver's license from the police. Too much other stuff to do while on a call. Maybe in an emergency room with case workers this would be more helpful.
    I can see why you would not wish to mess with a phone at the scene. Documents are far easier for you and almost everyone has the same document - the license - with them, at least in an auto wreck.

My drivers license is always in my wallet with other stuff and this is by far the easiest way to find out who I am if you could not ask me. However I believ that this is still a valid discussion based on the "anyway you can" philosophy.

You guys do a fantastic job all over the world and we all rely upon you at some point in our lives. I personally thank you for posting your information.
    01-11-09 04:08 AM
    Not to be stupid, but if they went threw your phone wouldn't they just goto recent calls, and call contacts from there? Still a good idea tho.
    01-11-09 04:24 AM
    I don't think I want anybody going through my Storm. Even if im unconscious.
    01-11-09 05:10 AM
    For those interested here is the Truth Or Fiction report on ICE

Put an "ICE" entry in your cell phone for emergencies-Truth!

And here si the snopes:

Put an "ICE" entry in your cell phone for emergencies-Truth!
    01-11-09 05:16 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD